double vanos vs vtec - Zerotohundred.com

Zerotohundred.com
Home Features News Forums The Marketplace Showcase Videos TIMETOATTACK! Store!
Go Back   Zerotohundred.com > Technical Section > Forced Induction & Engine Management

Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #1
arif_tarabas

Liked: 0 / 0 Posts
Default double vanos vs vtec

?can someone tell me who win double vanos of bmw or legendary vtec
arif_tarabas is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
AE111_SEG

Liked: 182 / 83 Posts
Default Re: double vanos vs vtec

All I know is :

Double Vanos = Dual VVTI
Vanos Valvetronic = VVTi & Lift
DOHC Vtec = Lift . B16A B16B, B18C, F20B F20C, H22A
SOHC Vtec = Lift D15 D17
DOHC iVtec = VVTI & Lift. K20A K24A
SOHC iVtec = VVTi . R18, R20

Pls correct me if I am wrong.....

Win in terms of what??. Power output... reliability, fuel consumption??? Maintenance??
Old 09-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
g4i8y0t

Liked: 294 / 157 Posts

In theory, Vanos is technologically more advance than VTEC. However, VTEC wins in terms of bhp/litre and can rev higher. Fuel consumption wise I'm not sure.
g4i8y0t is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
ken yeang

Liked: 1,314 / 818 Posts

Win?

I know that when both system rosak, Double Vanos will "win" VTEC when the repair bill comes to you...
ken yeang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 3 Users Liked ken yeang For This Useful Post:
8voltpreout (09-10-2012), Izso (06-13-2013), spoon civic (12-16-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
g4i8y0t

Liked: 294 / 157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken yeang View Post
Win?

I know that when both system rosak, Double Vanos will "win" VTEC when the repair bill comes to you...
You mean, Double Vanos engine costs cheaper (generally) than VTEC to repair?
g4i8y0t is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
ken yeang

Liked: 1,314 / 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4i8y0t View Post
You mean, Double Vanos engine costs cheaper (generally) than VTEC to repair?
Nope. repair for the double vanos will be more expensive. I guarantee that.
ken yeang is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
gOsht
5bhp Stock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The first car Honda ever produced that featured VTEC, the 1989.4 Honda Integra XSi. A Japanese-only model, it featured the legendary B16A engine that, at 160 hp and only 1.6 liters, remained the highest horsepower-per-liter engine for years.
gOsht is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
ExceL

Liked: 164 / 99 Posts

While VTEC & VANOS are just brand names for cam profiling/timing.. their "stigma" or "party piece" are interpreted differently by two very different demographics.

As we all know, VTEC is know for their high revving whatever & that tin can sound (OH SNAP!) just kidding

However now one will be quoting that their VANOS "bukak" & producing that banshee scream...just the annoying rattling

Thread starters question cant be more vague & pointless.. "win"?.. Are you charlie sheen?

ExceL is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Liked ExceL For This Useful Post:
bera (09-10-2012), g4i8y0t (09-10-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
edwin_lcw

Liked: 3 / 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to edwin_lcw Send a message via Yahoo to edwin_lcw Send a message via Skype™ to edwin_lcw

all i know is VTEC is oil operated and VANOS is chain operated ... pls correct me if i'm wrong .... i think VTEC is more powerful becos i try b18c the feeling is near comparable to a 325i
Old 09-22-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
wajunk
50bhp Junior

Liked: 2 / 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin_lcw View Post
all i know is VTEC is oil operated and VANOS is chain operated ... pls correct me if i'm wrong .... i think VTEC is more powerful becos i try b18c the feeling is near comparable to a 325i
Woww!! The power of VTEC
wajunk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
YYC

Liked: 939 / 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin_lcw View Post
What I know is VANOS mechanism is very different from VTEC's, but both utilise the hydraulic pressure to operate the valve timing mechanisms. BMW doesn't employ cam profiling for its VANOS/Valvetronic system (BMW sifoo please confirm). Here is a very good explanation to VANOS operation.

The crankshaft and camshaft(s) are connected via a timing belt/chain(s) which synchronizes the timing of the opening/closing of the intake and exhaust valves with the piston cycle/position. E39’s have double overhead camshafts, meaning separate intake and exhaust camshafts found at the top of the engine (head). BMW implements a time shift scheme for variable valve timing. That is, the relative rotational position of the camshaft(s) to the crankshaft is modified (shifted). This is done dynamically by command from the engine computer (DME). The scheme is achieved mechanically through the use of helical (slanted) gears. The timing chain sprocket(s) of the camshaft(s) does not connect directly to the camshaft, but has an inner hole larger than the camshaft end. There are opposing direction helical gears at the sprocket inner hole and the camshaft end. An independent splined shaft (cup) inserts between the sprocket hole and camshaft end and connects the two components. The splined shaft (cup) inner and outer surfaces have helical gears with opposing directions which correspond and mate to the sprocket hole and camshaft end helical gears. The insertion/extraction (in/out) of the splined shaft causes the relative rotational position of the sprocket to the camshaft end to change. This implicitly causes rotational position change (time shift) between the camshaft and crankshaft (connected to the camshaft sprocket via chain). An insertion of the splined shaft causes the camshaft to rotate proportionally forward causing a timing advance (earlier). An extraction of the splined shaft causes the camshaft to rotate proportionally backward causing a timing retard (later). The vanos is a devise that attaches to the front of the engine at the camshaft end, sprocket, and splined shaft. Controlled by the DME (electrical), it utilizes engine oil/pressure to manipulate the position of the splined shaft (valve timing). The vanos incorporates a piston which is bolted to the end of the splined shaft. The piston sits inside a cylinder. There are cylinder/piston enclosed oil chambers at the fore and aft of the piston. A vanos valve controls the flow of pressurized engine oil into the two opposing chambers. The valve position is manipulated by a solenoid which is controlled electrically by the DME. The DME controls the oil pressure in the opposing cylinder/piston oil chambers to position the piston, and thus control the valve timing. The DME receives piston / splined shaft / camshaft position feedback from the camshaft position sensor. Both intake and exhaust sides incorporate the same configuration scheme and the DME controls both independently.

The traditional structural scheme for implementing EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) is to circulate exhaust manifold gases back into the intake manifold. This method can be termed “external” EGR. The E39 i6 with double vanos does not implement an external EGR scheme. Due to the time shift abilities of the vanos, valve timing can be manipulated to allow for exhaust gases to remain in the cylinder after combustion and be mixed in with the next cycle intake air/fuel mixture. This scheme is referred to as “internal” EGR. It’s an efficient scheme, but is highly reliant on the proper function of the vanos for effective variable valve timing.

Here is the source article where we can see the actual photos of VANOS mechanism

Last edited by YYC; 09-22-2012 at 04:11 PM.
YYC is online now   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
spoon civic
400bhp Turbo Member

Liked: 35 / 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_tarabas View Post
?can someone tell me who win double vanos of bmw or legendary vtec
from which side to compare?all stock engine or with thousands of toyol?
spoon civic is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
ecal echal
50bhp Junior

Liked: 16 / 13 Posts

thousands of toyol??? hahahahah... i think he's referring to stock cond. kot...
kalau thousands of toyol kinda hard jugak to compare...hehehehe
ecal echal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
iatebananas
100bhp Junior

Liked: 38 / 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gOsht View Post
The first car Honda ever produced that featured VTEC, the 1989.4 Honda Integra XSi. A Japanese-only model, it featured the legendary B16A engine that, at 160 hp and only 1.6 liters, remained the highest horsepower-per-liter engine for years.
Only for 2 years bro. Then came the 4age silvertop 20v 4 throttle in 1991 which imho, is quicker and more responsive than the stock vtec. :)
iatebananas is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Likes iatebananas For This Useful Post:
lingkesh (10-14-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
syimirmazlan
5bhp Stock

Liked: 10 / 6 Posts

both have own advantage.but stock, i prefer double vanos (BMW) of course can tapau vtec on the highway, top speed wise.acceleration, vtec wins of course.
syimirmazlan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Zerotohundred.com > Technical Section > Forced Induction & Engine Management

Previous: Previous Thread | Next Thread :Next

Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Zerotohundred.com
New 899kg Elise 250 gets drizzled in carbon goodies! - 50th Anniversary Special
Is the 512hp Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio an Italian M3?
R kind of day.. -#honda #civic #civictyper #vtecturbo #typerturbo #turbotyper #rengineering #fk2 #fk2typer @honda
Midship Midnight #porsche #caymans #gentinghighlands #zerotohundred
A big big Win for MG today at PCCA Sydney Congrats! -By @mitchgilbertracing - WINNING!!!!!!!! 🏼 Finally… 1st race win in @carreracupasia and 1st win in so damn long. 😬 Such a special day for me, thanks to everyone involved, you know who you are! ️️️ #racing #motorsport #porsche #sydneymotorsportpark #igmalaysia #v8sc #winning #zerotohundred
Trending Threads
What is your first car?
Last Post Yesterday 10:38 PM
guys, need your kind advice & help.....
Last Post 08-28-2016 08:26 PM
Fake Iridium Spark Plugs
Last Post 08-22-2016 02:09 PM
Need advice on brake kit
Last Post 08-27-2016 06:33 PM
SEARCH

2000 - 2016 Zerotohundred.com - The Automotive Lifestyle Network | Tags | Terms of Use | Visitor Agreement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | Privacy Statement | Top