Modification question

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
Hi guys, recently bought a new car, would like to ask few general question and get experience from you guys .

Questions​

1. I'd like to modify the exhaust system so I don't suffocate my engine at all. Read that most stock car suffocate the engine a little even if it's stock to avoid sound pollution to pass all countries law. What part should I change? Tail pipe etc. And how much roughly for a good one and any good place to recommend?

2. Sunroof installation, does it void my car warranty and is there any expensive or annoying maintainence I should know about? As usually any recommended place?

3. Wheels / rims, where should I get them? And any cons on getting unoriginal products? Or any good original brands that is cheap and looks good?

4. Car seats, any good recommendation on a comfortable semi or full bucket seats brand? Looking at original only in case of accident which I hope it won't happen. Prefer to use cheaper but original brands

5. What are jpj laws on sticker? I remember seeing summon on cars that have small sticker.. Plan to make one on the windscreen on top and behind my car.

Ps: using a vw polo na, and when I ask where to get them I am asking for quality, honest and most importantly cheap workshop / product.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, recently bought a new car, would like to ask few general question and get experience from you guys .

Questions​

1. I'd like to modify the exhaust system so I don't suffocate my engine at all. Read that most stock car suffocate the engine a little even if it's stock to avoid sound pollution to pass all countries law. What part should I change? Tail pipe etc. And how much roughly for a good one and any good place to recommend?

2. Sunroof installation, does it void my car warranty and is there any expensive or annoying maintainence I should know about? As usually any recommended place?

3. Wheels / rims, where should I get them? And any cons on getting unoriginal products? Or any good original brands that is cheap and looks good?

4. Car seats, any good recommendation on a comfortable semi or full bucket seats brand? Looking at original only in case of accident which I hope it won't happen. Prefer to use cheaper but original brands

5. What are jpj laws on sticker? I remember seeing summon on cars that have small sticker.. Plan to make one on the windscreen on top and behind my car.

Ps: using a vw polo na, and when I ask where to get them I am asking for quality, honest and most importantly cheap workshop / product.
1. If your car is turbocharged then installing a free flow exhaust system will def help it to breathe better. However since yours is an NA, you wouldn't gain much power for you to notice. Even sometimes you'll lose some but your car will be louder for sure. If you are really interested then you should remove just the mufflers. As for tail pipe honestly it's personal preference.

2. If you are buying a brand new car then yes it would. Other than that, can't really comment because never done anything like it.

3. You can get them at your nearest tyre shop, there are plenty to choose from (wheels wise.) Remember to buy the right sizing for your car. As for cheap and good brand, I was told that SSR might be a good entry level brand. Buying knock offs have the risk of breaking and bending on high impact.

4. I am not sure if I get your question here but what do you mean by "Looking at original only in case of accident which I hope it won't happen. " Anyways, Recaro do have full/semi bucket seats for Polo.

5. I'm guessing as long as it doesn't obstruct your view on the road, it should be fine. Nothing too obnoxious.

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
1. If your car is turbocharged then installing a free flow exhaust system will def help it to breathe better. However since yours is an NA, you wouldn't gain much power for you to notice. Even sometimes you'll lose some but your car will be louder for sure. If you are really interested then you should remove just the mufflers. As for tail pipe honestly it's personal preference.

2. If you are buying a brand new car then yes it would. Other than that, can't really comment because never done anything like it.

3. You can get them at your nearest tyre shop, there are plenty to choose from (wheels wise.) Remember to buy the right sizing for your car. As for cheap and good brand, I was told that SSR might be a good entry level brand. Buying knock offs have the risk of breaking and bending on high impact.

4. I am not sure if I get your question here but what do you mean by "Looking at original only in case of accident which I hope it won't happen. " Anyways, Recaro do have full/semi bucket seats for Polo.

5. I'm guessing as long as it doesn't obstruct your view on the road, it should be fine. Nothing too obnoxious.
As for the bucket seats I'm saying I want to buy only original and not knockoff Thai products. As for the wheels any good place to recommend? Seen alot of fake originals and also scammer selling 2nd hand refurbished rims or something. As for the muffler I wanna make it sound something like a muscle car any suggestion?

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
As for the bucket seats I'm saying I want to buy only original and not knockoff Thai products. As for the wheels any good place to recommend? Seen alot of fake originals and also scammer selling 2nd hand refurbished rims or something. As for the muffler I wanna make it sound something like a muscle car any suggestion?
Oh ok then for the seats you can go for OEM Polo GTI (semi bucket) or the Recaro seats (full/semi).
You can try king of rims for wheels.
The thing is a muscle car has a V8 engine while your Polo is an i4 (completely different engine) so to make it sound like a muscle is very impossible... You might wanna check out the outcome of it first on YouTube (there's plenty) so you'll have a rough idea what it's gonna sound like.

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
I do know they're two different type of engine. Any way to make it sound alike? I just don't want it to sound like a trumpet like no offense a typical myvi or wira.. As for the turbo part I'm thinking of adding it once warranty over but as for now going to fix up what I can that I don't think might have issue in the future for example the exhaust

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur

Questions​

1. I'd like to modify the exhaust system so I don't suffocate my engine at all. Read that most stock car suffocate the engine a little even if it's stock to avoid sound pollution to pass all countries law. What part should I change? Tail pipe etc. And how much roughly for a good one and any good place to recommend? Depends on your budget. For minimal cost, can just replace the rear muffler with more free flowing one, maybe S-flow type or twin loops. If got more budget then can opt for cat back system, meaning replacing the whole exhaust section after the catalytic converter with higher flowing one. Not sure how much for your car but a good one I think would cost you more than 2k. A good well known exhaust shop is Everco in Sunway but price also will not be cheap. Don't expect much power gain though especially since your car is just an N/A.

2. Sunroof installation, does it void my car warranty and is there any expensive or annoying maintainence I should know about? As usually any recommended place? Why need sunroof in Malaysia??? better not do, coz it's the most useless feature you can have for a car in such tropical and humid country, so why waste so much money and do such major work for something so useless to begin with?? It will certainly void your body warranty such as rust protection, plus there's always a risk of leaking and sunroof motor getting stuck so my suggestion is don't do it.

3. Wheels / rims, where should I get them? And any cons on getting unoriginal products? Or any good original brands that is cheap and looks good? Don't buy fake rims like those so called replica Rays/Enkei/SSR, etc2, coz higher risk of breakage (not just bent!) plus they're rather heavy. My suggestion is if you have a budget say up to 3k for rims excluding tires then can opt for used original Japan/European rims. Find one which is the lightest that you can afford, don't just buy purely based on looks. If your budget is less than 2k then go for Advanti Storm series, made in Taiwan but using the same technology as Enkei to make lightweight rims so it's the best value for money.

4. Car seats, any good recommendation on a comfortable semi or full bucket seats brand? Looking at original only in case of accident which I hope it won't happen. Prefer to use cheaper but original brands This one I'm not sure. Usually Recaro, Sparco, or Bride, but they're not going to be cheap if original.

5. What are jpj laws on sticker? I remember seeing summon on cars that have small sticker.. Plan to make one on the windscreen on top and behind my car. No issues here.

My comments above in bold

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Where got original SSR Japan is cheap/entry level!? :biggrin: SSR is also pretty expensive brand leh, at least on par Enkei Japan rims, some of their lightweight rims almost similar price range as Rays forged ones too (for example the famous SSR Type C).

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You are worried the sunroof voiding your warranty, I think you exhaust will void your warranty already, and if upgrade to larger wheels also.....lol

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I do know they're two different type of engine. Any way to make it sound alike? I just don't want it to sound like a trumpet like no offense a typical myvi or wira.. As for the turbo part I'm thinking of adding it once warranty over but as for now going to fix up what I can that I don't think might have issue in the future for example the exhaust
it is actually possible but will have negative impact on the power your engine produce.All u need is a weird 4-2-1 extractor setup.Its weird coz at the 2 section one of the pipe is 30% shorter than the normal length. You will get the burble sound that are produced by V engine.add a loud muffle then off you go with all style but bad power and fc.

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Where got original SSR Japan is cheap/entry level!? :biggrin: SSR is also pretty expensive brand leh, at least on par Enkei Japan rims, some of their lightweight rims almost similar price range as Rays forged ones too (for example the famous SSR Type C).
Hehehe my bad... I saw them used so that's why :biggrin:

it is actually possible but will have negative impact on the power your engine produce.All u need is a weird 4-2-1 extractor setup.Its weird coz at the 2 section one of the pipe is 30% shorter than the normal length. You will get the burble sound that are produced by V engine.add a loud muffle then off you go with all style but bad power and fc.
You can only do so much tho... it'll sound more like a boxer 4 instead of a V8 tho. Once you go beyond 3k, it's normal to regular i4.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hehehe my bad... I saw them used so that's why :biggrin:

Even used they're still relatively more expensive. Well depends on which type of SSR also, the lightweight ones are more expensive of course. If cheap, then most likely are fakes which unfortunately are abundant for SSR, just like fake Rays & Enkei.

Last edited:

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Even used they're still relatively more expensive. Well depends on which type of SSR also, the lightweight ones are more expensive of course. If cheap, then most likely are fakes which unfortunately are abundant for SSR, just like fake Rays & Enkei.
Well you see it really depend on your budget and definition of entry level :rofl:
But this is a good start, right?

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
Any recommended rims store then? Don't wanna buy from shops that sell imitation telling customer it's original. As for the exhaust probably won't sacrifice the power for my joy Haha. Anyway 1 more question I forgotten to ask that is I'd like to change my back brakes from drum to disk. Any recommendation and what is the rough budget? And where should I get those rotors? Scrap store from old golf?

eques

Oct 14, 2017
petaling jaya
You are worried the sunroof voiding your warranty, I think you exhaust will void your warranty already, and if upgrade to larger wheels also.....lol
Wheels shouldn't be a bit problem since worst case scenario my tire is damage from bent rims or damage wheels, same goes to exhaust. Just worry for the body since there will be rust and might cost structure problem.

And thanks for everyone that responded to my thread appreciate the opportunity to discuss

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
Any recommended rims store then? Don't wanna buy from shops that sell imitation telling customer it's original. As for the exhaust probably won't sacrifice the power for my joy Haha. Anyway 1 more question I forgotten to ask that is I'd like to change my back brakes from drum to disk. Any recommendation and what is the rough budget? And where should I get those rotors? Scrap store from old golf?
I mentioned above, King of Rims is a decent place. But this is the only place that I've been to, not too sure of other places.

As for brakes, if you are very worried of losing your warranty then better stay away from replacing with disc brakes.

Replacing to disc brakes, adding sunroof and exhaust will void your warranty.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The latest race series to partake in the GT Asia series, the Lotus Supercup Asia will also be entering the Malaysian Super Series (MSS) this year in October and November 2011, giving the national championship for circuit racing a timely lift in injecting a sense of excitement in the Malaysia motorsports scene.

‪GT4 at Sepang - Melia Kuala Lumpur...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience