Turn better with G-Vectoring Control in upcoming Mazda 6 for 2017!

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

Hiroshima is intent on improving its D-segment Mazda 6 contender for 2017. There are CX-9-derived three-spoke steering wheel, revised Active Driving Display, upgraded multi-function display in the instrument cluster, steering wheel heater as well as a new overhead console with LED downlights, to name a few.

But the actual facelift however, takes place on the inside. The facelifted Mazda 6 will also be a platform for Mazda to debut its G-Vectoring Control, a system that is designed to provide more linear steering feel and improved ride comfort at the corners.

The mechanism

Originally, there's bound to be a tiny lag between a driver's steering input and when the car actually responds. This lag may cause the driver to make numerous small adjustments, which results in 'lateral jerks' during cornering, especially in long curves.

This is what Mazda wants to reduce, with G-Vectoring Control. It uses software trickery to transfer weight onto the front axles during turn-in, minimizing the momentary response time between steering input and lateral acceleration.

The reduced momentary response provides more linear steering feel, which means the driver doesn't have to steer too much to correct that initial lag, only then to unwind the steering when the car actually 'hooks up'.

Developed together with Hitachi, the G-Vectoring Control automatically transfers weight to the front axles during turn-in to load the suspension and sidewalls. But GVC doesn't use brakes, it actually loads up the front axles by pulling spark timing, thus reducing engine torque - an approach that Mazda says is an industry first.

Mazda's description on the method:

"GVC maximizes tire performance by focusing on the vertical load on the tires. The moment the driver starts to turn the steering wheel, GVC controls engine drive torque to generate a deceleration G-force, thereby shifting load to the front wheels. This increases front-wheel tire grip, enhancing the vehicle’s turn-in responsiveness."

But how much torque will be reduced? It depends on the rate of change of steering angle. If you crank the steering wheel too much, for example, the GVC cuts more torque to load up the front wheel faster. If you stop turning and keep your steering wheel at a constant angle, engine torque will return to its initial value, shifting weight to the rear for better stability.

The system only triggers if a driver puts an angle on the steering and his foot is actively on the throttle.

Ultimately, the G-Vectoring Control reduces the time it takes for the car to do what the driver want it to, and it could make a car safer under certain situations, by only a tiny bit.

However, it is still a system that is a good-to-have than an actual need-to-have for now.

Last edited:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hmm so instead of the driver lifting up to transfer weight, this system does it for the driver by reducing torque/power, right? Wonder if the driver actually does not want to lift up but wants to whack a fast sweeper flat out but then this system still cuts the torque, so it would actually makes it slower thru that sweeper and turns in too much, isn't it? Only track comparison test would prove if this system will be really beneficial I suppose. Can it be completely switched off?

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Most system do that, reduce power/torque, slow car down like Traction control etc....

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
That's why I just bought the lower version of my car so no TRC & VSC (also an excuse coz I got no budget to buy the higher version! :biggrin: )

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That's why I just bought the lower version of my car so no TRC & VSC (also an excuse coz I got no budget to buy the higher version! :biggrin: )
Like I mentioned before, my friend wanted some trills, so he off all the aids/helps on his Evo X then went for drive at windy kampung routes.....lol

But Ford different case woh! Got drift mode......hhahhahahahha:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guys (n your GFs) and GIRLS

Be Careful! when you are around Taman Mayang area

I just want to post up and inform as many people as I can, especially those that frequent the area, the futsal court, badminton court and Ming Tien.

Date & Time of Incident: 8.20pm+/- (16th Feb. 2005)
Location: @ the residential road next to a corner house near the Badminton court.

What happened?
2 Snatch Thieves attacked a young couple and slash the girl's left hand when try to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience