Air cond compressor clutch not engaging properly

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Would like to ask, my car AC is giving my symptoms that it won't engage properly. There are 2 scenarios to describe my issues:

1.) When outside is damn hot, the compressor clutch will stop working all of the sudden and blows hot air. It's random and it can be rectified if i turn on and off the A/C system.
2.) At high fan speed, the compressor clutch will stop working at random timing.

So far the things i did to try and fix it:
1.) Replace the freon filters
2.) Replace the compressor oil
3.) Replace cabin air filter
4.) Recharge gas
5.) Pressure is optimum

Results: Ice cold aircond but still clutch behaves like what i described.

I consulted with 3 aircond guys and each other came up with different solutions:

1.) Replaced the magnetic clutch and keep the compressor, my compressor is quiet and pressure is well.
2.) Replaced the whole compressor

So i need some insights on how i should proceed, an original Lancer 08 compressor can priced up to 1k. Appreciate any feedback from expert.

Thanks,
Ken

punk

Known Member

punk

Known Member
Aug 6, 2011
Negeri Sembilan
Hi, im not an ac expert here but did u notice ur ac compressor pressure for low side and high side when they recharge ur freon ?

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
On some aircond system, the clutch wont engage of there is not enough gas.However,this is fulltime and not intermittent.

I have experience random non engaging clutch before and mine is because magnetic clutch has worn out. When the clutch does not engage, i need to rev the engine to about 3k rpm to force the clutch to engage.Few month down the road that 3k rpm becomes 4k rpm.
ended up changing the compressor as manage to get good 2nd hand unit at a bargain.
my car is waja 1.8 renault engine

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Hi, im not an ac expert here but did u notice ur ac compressor pressure for low side and high side when they recharge ur freon ?
Yes its normal, been to 3 mechanics and all 3 of them passed my pressure. Its 27 psi low, high about mid 40 i think. Could not remember.

On some aircond system, the clutch wont engage of there is not enough gas.However,this is fulltime and not intermittent.

I have experience random non engaging clutch before and mine is because magnetic clutch has worn out. When the clutch does not engage, i need to rev the engine to about 3k rpm to force the clutch to engage.Few month down the road that 3k rpm becomes 4k rpm.
ended up changing the compressor as manage to get good 2nd hand unit at a bargain.
my car is waja 1.8 renault engine
I got info saying that it might be the pressure switch and relay. The magnetic clutch does not burnt or smell, so it might not be seized. Like i said, if i turn off the AC (without turning of the fan) and switch it back on, the compressor will kick in.

Thanks,
Ken

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
How about the compressor clutch bearing? I got mine replaced recently because I was hearing some whining sound from it.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
How about the compressor clutch bearing? I got mine replaced recently because I was hearing some whining sound from it.
Not sound at all, my compressor is working very quiet and the gas is ice cold when its operating normally. I am thinking of the pressure switch.

Thanks,
Ken

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Not sound at all, my compressor is working very quiet and the gas is ice cold when its operating normally. I am thinking of the pressure switch.

Thanks,
Ken
So now, Down to your pressure switch and magnetic clutch only......:driver:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
So now, Down to your pressure switch and magnetic clutch only......:driver:
That magnetic clutch also behave normally when the car is at the shop ... Thats why it is so hard to determine which one to fix first.

Thanks,
Ken

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That magnetic clutch also behave normally when the car is at the shop ... Thats why it is so hard to determine which one to fix first.

Thanks,
Ken
Yup, hardest to fix is intermittent problem, comes and goes.....:banghead:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Yup, hardest to fix is intermittent problem, comes and goes.....:banghead:
My usual mechanic (who does not do aircond) advise me to use it until it condemn. But i have to bare with the intermittent problem.

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Have u tried revving the engine and see if the clutch engages?
Yes it will engage after a while if i revved it alittle. Especially if above 2.5k near 3k rpm. What do you think.

Thanks,
Ken

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Yes it will engage after a while if i revved it alittle. Especially if above 2.5k near 3k rpm. What do you think.

Thanks,
Ken
check the clutch gap,most probably its worn out and the magnet no longer capable to pull the clutch.
Temporary fix i did last time is by adjusting the clutch gap by modding the clutch with some screw and metal epoxy.lasted few month only.in my case i can remove the pulley and clutch without having to remove the compressor.

If there is replacement clutch kit then just replace the clutch kit which should consist the magnet,pulley and clutch.If u can get pulley and clutch only at cheaper price then go for it.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My usual mechanic (who does not do aircond) advise me to use it until it condemn. But i have to bare with the intermittent problem.

Thanks,
Ken
Since not sure which is the problem, I will do that too, use until really condemn......lol:rofl:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
check the clutch gap,most probably its worn out and the magnet no longer capable to pull the clutch.
Temporary fix i did last time is by adjusting the clutch gap by modding the clutch with some screw and metal epoxy.lasted few month only.in my case i can remove the pulley and clutch without having to remove the compressor.

If there is replacement clutch kit then just replace the clutch kit which should consist the magnet,pulley and clutch.If u can get pulley and clutch only at cheaper price then go for it.
Yeah there is a clutch kit available, but it doesn't sound cheap, very near to a reconditioned aircond compressor. AFAIK a lot of shops they only carry reconditioned, new units are replacement from China.

Since not sure which is the problem, I will do that too, use until really condemn......lol:rofl:
I kind of think of that too. For now it will still ice cold when its operating normally. Let's hope it doesn't occur too many times.

Thanks,
Ken

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all sifu,i hv an idea i wan change my gearbox to mivec LSD gearbox..but i duno whether the gearbox suit for my 4g92p (soch) or not?!!can someone help me!if suit what i need to mod for the gearbox?n how much i can get?!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience