Optimum Detail : A Rare Subaru Impreza S202

s1tl

1,000 RPM
Jul 13, 2010
Ipoh/KL

Sighting of the bug eyes is already rare but making it a S202 makes it next level! Here we have with us the perfect combo, Black, Boxer, All Original, Fully stock, S202, what more can a car enthusiast as for!? But looks can be deceiving. Read on to find out.

Upon arrival, we did the standard routine check up, she was in pretty bad shape. But being more than 10 years old, its was considerably normal to be this condition.

First thing we noticed was a severe watermark condition on every single panel of the car.

Some wax residue or polish residue was spotted around the STI emblem.

And also the S202 chrome emblem.

The factory carbon fiber GT Wing was also covered in watermarks.

Even the inner fuel cap area had watermark issues. Apparently, rust problems were quite common for the fuel area.

The fuel tank door was semi-oxidized.

Coming to the swirl and scratches, we found the surface to be 100% covered in them.

Some areas had lesser swirls some area had more.

Some areas were severely covered in thick watermark build up.

Some areas had visibly less watermarks.

Rear boot lid had the least watermark build up.

Unknown stains that is so hardened it felt like cement.

Well, basically what you see on this photo is how the entire car looks like up close.

and finally, the road grime.

The car's factory wheels were STI engraved Volks CE28 but they were brake dust covered

Closer look on brake dust rust being almost the same colour as the bronze wheels.

1 swipe, revealing how the original colour should look like.

We started with a good old detailed wash, clay bar turned brown after 1 panel.

After the wash, we started by disassembling parts that might block my way.

Including the carbon fiber GT Wing.

The car looks pretty good from a distance after a good wash but we all know once you move closer...

First, we tackled the watermark build up. This is the before.

After clearing off the watermarks.

Haziness before.

50/50 on the same spot.

After removing the first layer of contamination, its time for us to move in depth for the swirls.

Before.

After.

Before.

After.

Haziness before.

Restored.

We got to be really honest, we were unable to restore the paint to a 100% or even a 90% state like we usually do. Mainly because the surface was already very much damaged. Being the original paint, it was the best that we could have done. So the surface still had minimal swirls but 100% watermark free.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
He's from Ipoh, but based in KL.

And that S202 had thin paint too right? I remember the owner telling me Subaru went to great lengths to lighten the S202. Thinner glass, no soundproofing, etc

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
the swirl mark, water mark gone like that, wow. How to do ? some tips can dy. Pls.

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
What do you use to clear the water marks? Must use machine or can do manual hand job?
For Water marks, got water marks remover in the market. If got stronger type of polish also can remove. Only thing is very fast comes back, since our weather always rain then bright sun comes out....:banghead:

If a bit only can do by hand, if whole panel better you use machine......lol

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For Water marks, got water marks remover in the market. If got stronger type of polish also can remove. Only thing is very fast comes back, since our weather always rain then bright sun comes out....:banghead:

If a bit only can do by hand, if whole panel better you use machine......lol
I've tried the Turtle Wax Polishing compound by hand for my engine hood, not able to remove completely even though already feel buttery smooth on the finger tip.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I've tried the Turtle Wax Polishing compound by hand for my engine hood, not able to remove completely even though already feel buttery smooth on the finger tip.
Yours with polishing compound cannot come off, fuh! Normally water marks should be quite easy to come off, unless yours very long already and have etched in quite deep....:hmmmm:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
i work in sugar factory, guess what. Sugar dust everywhere. If just drizzling rain for 10 minutes.
thats it lah, sticky residue on car paint. :banghead:
if leave it, gone case.
2-3 days i MUST rinse the car and wipe it dry.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i work in sugar factory, guess what. Sugar dust everywhere. If just drizzling rain for 10 minutes.
thats it lah, sticky residue on car paint. :banghead:
if leave it, gone case.
2-3 days i MUST rinse the car and wipe it dry.
Wah! can get sugar coating woh!......hhahahhahha:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anybody tried buying china oxygen sensor before? Anyone bought before and is it ok?

I tried to find new oxygen sensor for my car, its a nissan primera P12 engine. The sensor connector is light blue color, with 3 wires. Couldnt find original or branded oem sensor. All i can find is china brand or no brand oxygen sensor from china..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience