boosting a 4G18, what do you do about engine management?

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Hi

I have seen many threads, pictures and clip's on youtube showing boosted 4G18's

I have read this engine can be boosted safely up to 0.6 bar on stock internals and produce good power and performance. (about 160 BHP)

What is needed to boost the 4G18 for up to 0.6 bar looks easy to find, if having access to a shop with good welding skills

TD-04 turbo can get secondhand maybe from someone upgrading their Subaru.
Custom exhaust Manifold - can buy cast turbo Manifold for the 4G18 manufactured by 'Kinugawa'
Intercooler
Wastgate
oil lines to lubricate the turbo
custom pipe work to feed into the stock air intake
bigger injectors about 375cc to 400cc
custom exhaust

Please correct me if I missed something from above?

But my question if I want to run a simple bolt on turbo setup like this on my 4G18 powered Lancer, what do I need to do about engine management?

Is it necessary to use a stand alone ECU like a Haltech, or can I use a piggyback like Greddy or is it possible to remap the standard Mitsu 4G18 ECU to see the bigger injectors and deliver more fuel when needed or can I use a Mitsu ECU from another model like 4G93 turbo?

What are the guys who have a boosted 4G18 using about engine management?

Many thanks for your reply's

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Hi

I have seen many threads, pictures and clip's on youtube showing boosted 4G18's

I have read this engine can be boosted safely up to 0.6 bar on stock internals and produce good power and performance. (about 160 BHP)

What is needed to boost the 4G18 for up to 0.6 bar looks easy to find, if having access to a shop with good welding skills

TD-04 turbo can get secondhand maybe from someone upgrading their Subaru.
Custom exhaust Manifold - can buy cast turbo Manifold for the 4G18 manufactured by 'Kinugawa'
Intercooler
Wastgate
oil lines to lubricate the turbo
custom pipe work to feed into the stock air intake
bigger injectors about 375cc to 400cc
custom exhaust

Please correct me if I missed something from above?

But my question if I want to run a simple bolt on turbo setup like this on my 4G18 powered Lancer, what do I need to do about engine management?

Is it necessary to use a stand alone ECU like a Haltech, or can I use a piggyback like Greddy or is it possible to remap the standard Mitsu 4G18 ECU to see the bigger injectors and deliver more fuel when needed or can I use a Mitsu ECU from another model like 4G93 turbo?

What are the guys who have a boosted 4G18 using about engine management?

Many thanks for your reply's

remap the stock ecu....

google mxsteven

jay_lancer

Known Member
Aug 21, 2015
Thailand
Many thanks for your reply, I was not sure if that was possible

it would save a lot of money for this option because the stand alone and piggy back ECU's are expensive :-)

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006

it would save a lot of money for this option because the stand alone and piggy back ECU's are expensive :-)
you need to break your piggy bank to buy piggy to cheat the ECU lowest also Emanage blue.
if not later piston out from head..:biggrin:
add another one : boost controller (digital better than manual since manual easily spark)

Good luck and happy boosting:burnout:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

so far in malaysia our proton waja (equipped with 4g18) is confirmed to be able for ecu flash...

the person who did it is the mxsteven....

but since u were not in malaysia...i dont know if anybody in your place is able to do the same...

so why not try have a look into greddy emanage ultimate version....or ecushop ecu/piggyback

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I'm driving a Proton Iswara Aeroback...i just changed my absorbers to Monroe Sensa-Trac about few days ago....i'm using back my 5 year old stock spring with that new Monroe Absorbers.....i realized my riding became even harder than before....cornering is improved but it harden my ride....izzit because i use back my stock spring ? or should i change to a new n better spring ? What is the best spring recommended best for Monroe Sensa-Trac absorber ? Please help all the sifu...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience