AE101 advise

hanracing

Known Member
May 14, 2011
some where
Hi,

Currently I sort of take over my family old car which is a AE101 1994.
bone stock engine

Just that it had crystal JDM light installed only.

So what can I mod it with budget roughly 10k - 15k (of course not spend it in one time go) for something which can be my daily driven car yet decent FC.

Here's my thought :

- Upgrade tire to 15 inch Toyo R1R or any good suggestion ? current tire is front Hankook and rear Thunder.

- Upgrade to better suspension as rear one sort of worn out over the years

- Rear drum to disk conversion

- Minor intake and exhaust mod

For engine wise, the engine performance has decrease over the years so any suggestion ? Swap to 4AGE 20V BT or do something about current 4AFE AT.

Any other suggestion ? for first stage of modding this car ?

Thanks a lot !

hanracing

Known Member
May 14, 2011
some where
LOL ! well bro, now become more mature. Hehe, so need some practical stuff. dreams are dreams

LittleWhiteWagon

1,500 RPM
Oct 12, 2009
P.J
Hi,

Currently I sort of take over my family old car which is a AE101 1994.
bone stock engine

Just that it had crystal JDM light installed only.

So what can I mod it with budget roughly 10k - 15k (of course not spend it in one time go) for something which can be my daily driven car yet decent FC.

Here's my thought :

- Upgrade tire to 15 inch Toyo R1R or any good suggestion ? current tire is front Hankook and rear Thunder.

- Upgrade to better suspension as rear one sort of worn out over the years

- Rear drum to disk conversion

- Minor intake and exhaust mod

For engine wise, the engine performance has decrease over the years so any suggestion ? Swap to 4AGE 20V BT or do something about current 4AFE AT.

Any other suggestion ? for first stage of modding this car ?

Thanks a lot !
What do you want to do with the car? :hmmmm:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No need go to extreme category. UHP tyres will do. Tyres like PS3, RE-003.
What Hankook model do you have? If it is V12Evo, that is a good UHP tyre

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
LOL ! well bro, now become more mature. Hehe, so need some practical stuff. dreams are dreams
If so, consider restoring everything back to original conditions as close as possible first if you still plan on using the 4A-FE. Get all the old rubber seals, rubber hoses replaced especially those who have hardened up due to aging. This is to prevent leakage of engine oil or coolant which can be troublesome if it happens while you are driving halfway.

Replace your engine mountings as well if they have not been replaced before since your car is over 20 years old. That will reduce vibrations in your engine which will help to improve your ride comfort and reduce engine noise.

hanracing

Known Member
May 14, 2011
some where
LittleWhiteWagon : A daily driven car yet has a little bit of power when want to have some fun.

vr2turbo : If Toyo any good recommendation ? Hankook I not too sure what's the model

RENESIS VIII : Thanks for the advise ! engine mounting I not sure been replaced or not. I don't really planned to use back the 4A-FE but thinking to swap for 4A-GE in few years time or any other minor upgrade which I can do with 4A-FE ?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
LittleWhiteWagon : A daily driven car yet has a little bit of power when want to have some fun.

vr2turbo : If Toyo any good recommendation ? Hankook I not too sure what's the model

RENESIS VIII : Thanks for the advise ! engine mounting I not sure been replaced or not. I don't really planned to use back the 4A-FE but thinking to swap for 4A-GE in few years time or any other minor upgrade which I can do with 4A-FE ?
Hankook tyres perhaps you can try out V12 Evo2.

Since you said you will only swap to 4A-GE in a few years time, then perhaps it is a good idea to replace those seals and hoses. To prevent sudden problems happening halfway while driving. I've experienced that before. A small rubber hose near the throttle body of my car cracked and water leaked out from my radiator until it is dry while I was driving halfway.

Minor droplets of engine oil leak is also common in my car and they all came from old hardened oil seals.

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
For Toyo tyres,
UHP have T1-Sports but this model starts at 16"
Have T1-R, but this tyre old tech already
and of course the one you mention the R1-R but this is extreme category
Bang for bucks now is still BS RE-003

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Don't need to upgrade 4AFE proceed with normal interim tear and wear, keep more money for swap in future. 4AGE prices has been increasing recent years and drastically since end of last year.
Daily car with fun :
Michelin PS3
Bridgestone RE003
Achilles ATR Sport
Nitto NeoGen

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Don't need to upgrade 4AFE proceed with normal interim tear and wear, keep more money for swap in future. 4AGE prices has been increasing recent years and drastically since last end of year.
Daily car with fun :
Michelin PS3
Bridgestone RE003
Achilles ATR Sport
Nitto NeoGen
AR Sports can match up to PS3 and RE-003?

elvintai

Nov 23, 2008
Hi all, I'm new here although I've been registered my Id here for quite long time ago..
Just saw this post, recently I'm thinking to "renew" my AE101 1995..
Anyone can suggest me a good and reliable mechanic to check my car conditions and to give me good suggestion on what should I change on the car..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Happened yesterday at PJ state. I parked my car there early morning and around 5.40pm balik time I noticed that my boot lock was smashed. Someone tried to force open the boot lock with screw driver or something resulting in damage on my car with scratches and slight dent and of course the lock can no more be used. I believe they tried to take out the boot lock to do the key so that they can come back and start my car with that key.

Checked with the parking attendant and they said there...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience