2016 Proton Perdana out now - National flagship sedan evolved

Amirul

Resident Journalist
Jun 7, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
www.zerotohundred.com

After months of teasers and spyshots circulating the web, the long awaited Perdana has finally been unveiled by Proton earlier today. Launched by the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato Seri Najib Razak, the new Proton Perdana marks the re-entry of the national car brand into familiar D-segment market.

The new Proton Perdana is said to symbolise a new aspriation for Proton, that is to give the best to its customers. The new Perdana comes in two variants - the 2.0L and 2.4L.

2016 Proton Perdana

Engine: 2.0-litre 4-cylinder R20 SOHC, 2.4-litre 4-cylinder K24 DOHC
Power: 154hp at 6,300 rpm, 178hp at 6,500 rpm
Torque: 189Nm at 4,300 rpm, 222Nm at 4,300 rpm
Zerotohundred: n/a
Transmissions: 5-speed automatic
Dimensions: 4999mm (L), 1845mm (W), 1475mm (H)
Weight from: 1,510 kg
Price: 2.0L: RM113,888.00; 2.4L: RM138,888.00

Exterior

As most of you would probably know by now, the new Perdana is largely based on the 8th generation Honda Accord. But platform and powertrain aside, the Perdana's exterior is designed entirely by Proton.

The red car here is the 2.4L, features automatic HID projector headlamps with DRL. The headlamps integrate seamlessly into its grille, hinting familiar Proton signature that we've seen on recent Protons, namely the Preve, Suprima S and Iriz.

The grille is dominated by a wide "Proton Wing" motif, together with its headlamps and sporty foglamps, giving the Perdana a wide and distinctive look.

While the front silhouette hasn't deviated much from the 8th gen Accord, for me, the main landmark of the Perdana is the car's C-pillar towards its rear end. Almost as if Proton initiated a Jaguar-esque fastback profile. The LED combi taillights are a fresh approach for the new Perdana.

Both variants come with a sculptured 17" alloy wheels, but the range-topper 2.4L gets dual-tone finishing.

Interior

Other than the Perdana unique steering wheel, its interior receive very minimal change from its donor car. Welcoming the front occupants is the side step, with embedded 'Perdana' branding.

The 2.4L receives multi-contoured leather seats and the 2.0L gets all-black interior with metallic trims.

Both variants are equipped with front and rear seat armrest, 8-way powered driver's seat, dual-zone air conditioning, rear air cond, tilt and telescopic steering wheel, multi function steering wheel and Proton Infotainment System.

However, the 4-way powered passenger seat, GPS navigation, and paddle shifters are exclusive for the 2.4L Perdana.

Powertrain

The Perdana retains the engine, gearbox and chassis from Honda's 8th generation flagship Accord sedan. Everything from the 2.0L R20 and 2.4L K24, five-speed automatic gearbox, front double-wishbone suspension and rear multi-links remain unchanged.

The 2.0L R20 SOHC unit produces 154hp at 6,300 rpm and 189Nm of torque at 4,300 rpm while the more powerful 2.4L K24 DOHC churns out 178hp at 6,500 rpm and 222Nm of torque at 4,300 rpm.

Power is transferred to the road via 225/50 rubbers wrapping a set of 17-inch alloy wheels.

Safety

Moving to safety, Proton's new flagship sedan justifies its status with safety features like four airbags, ABS with EBD, front active head rest, seatbelt pre-tensioner, front and rear parking sensors, anti-trap power windows, ISOFIX and top tether mounts and reverse camera.

ESC is however exclusive to the range topping 2.4L.

Infotainment

Both variants are equipped with 6.2" TFT screen with radio, CD, integrated DSP, Bluetooth, USB and AUX connectivity, but the 2.4L gets an additional DVD player, subwoofer for its speakers.

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Too expensive imo. And too late. Especially now the Civic is out. Why buy a fake and retarded looking Accord, than the best mass production Civic. And still skimping on the ESC for the base models. 4 airbags? Really? Civic is better spec-ed in every way.

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Too expensive imo. And too late. Especially now the Civic is out. Why buy a fake and retarded looking Accord, than the best mass production Civic. And still skimping on the ESC for the base models. 4 airbags? Really? Civic is better spec-ed in every way.
dude different segment la dude...u should say it is better to get an Accord from Honda. They offer rebates now

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
The front is still not too bad but the rear half is butt ugly!
Anyway I'm still sticking to my view that Proton should just close shop and stop wasting tax payers money with bail outs and failed products.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
dude different segment la dude...u should say it is better to get an Accord from Honda. They offer rebates now
Segment is different. Sure. But today's Civic is not a small car anymore. Sure, Accordana is bigger. But do you want an empty big tin can, or a loaded smaller one?

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Segment is different. Sure. But today's Civic is not a small car anymore. Sure, Accordana is bigger. But do you want an empty big tin can, or a loaded smaller one?
Either way it's not a fair comparison.

Personally, even though I haven't seen the car in person - the interior looks cheapened by all the Proton changes. So Protons 'aspiration' now is to rebadge?

For that kinda price, I'd rather chip in for a Camry. Looks better and holds value better plus it's a Toyota so with some degree it's infallible.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
For that kinda money, I rather buy 2nd hand, but the real 8th gen Honda Accord, and drive it proudly. I am sure I can spend the extra money pimping out the Honda.

Proton these day isn't producing cars for the rakyat, with affordability in mind. Who would imagine "local car" cost more than 100k?? Yeah, maybe can blame the RM value depreciated, etc.

It is hard to justify that a car (a platform that has been designed very much by Honda, many many years ago), still cost +100K. Or Proton priced it as such because the designed their own head lamps, lights and other trim pieces??

Proton pusing-pusing-pusing so many years.....and still unsure about whether to manufacture, to re-badge, to design, etc their own car....I think Proton is a brand that lost its roots, identity and has little idea how to grow-up....

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Proton pusing-pusing-pusing so many years.....and still unsure about whether to manufacture, to re-badge, to design, etc their own car....I think Proton is a brand that lost its roots, identity and has little idea how to grow-up....
They tried to produce their own engine and car, but failed because need volume to be cost effective, that is why they turn around and went back to re-badge.
Was reading on Chery engine and they got an Austrian designer to design. Their engines are being used in other car make in China and some are export out from China to get the volume. If Proton only use only for Proton cars there is no volume.....:smokin:

jerrysiow

Known Member
Jan 3, 2012
Seremban
I was disappointed on the combination of Beige colour and wood feel on the side, seat, and switch pedal against the black top on the dashboard. It's a worst interior design for my personal opinion. Like 2 different zone especially looking at the steering and the driver seat.

PS: The price way too high for the 8th Gen Accord engine.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
the thing that ticks me off the most are the fake tail pipes. im assuming that the 2 chrome bits by its butt are supposed to be twin pipes.... it ticks me off to no end....

makings of an ahbeng car right there
^could be true cause my 'ahbengish' friend actually really likes it

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The civic isn't cheap either...so if given the $ - around 130k ish I would really consider the real accord over the others. Lets just talk about family sedan car

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
It is the pricing that Proton somewhat got it wrong. Around RM114k for the base 2.0 litre and RM139k for the 2.4 litre. For a direct comparison, the current Honda Accord is selling for RM136k for the base 2.0 litre and 171k for the 2.4 litre. Sounds like a RM20k to RM30k difference between Proton and Honda.

Put it this way, assuming a 7 year loan is made with a down payment of RM10k with 3.5% interest rate. The amount to pay monthly for the Perdana 2.0 is around 1.5k and 2.4 for 1.9k. As for the Accord, 2.0 is at around 1.8k and 2.4 at 2.4k.

At this rate, it is 1.5k VS 1.8k = RM300 difference and 1.9k VS 2.4k = RM500 difference.

This car is targeted at upper middle class consumers. The common purchasing behaviour in this category of consumers is not about cutting budget and finding the cheapest alternative as possible. An extra RM300 or RM500 per month is not really a big amount for those who are able to fork out over RM100k for a car unless they are really pushing their budget. As we all know, most Malaysians nowadays are very brand conscious and image driven. Between Proton and Honda, most probably many will just go for Honda coupled with the fact that the Perdana is based on the previous generation Accord.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
It is the pricing that Proton somewhat got it wrong. Around RM114k for the base 2.0 litre and RM139k for the 2.4 litre. For a direct comparison, the current Honda Accord is selling for RM136k for the base 2.0 litre and 171k for the 2.4 litre. Sounds like a RM20k to RM30k difference between Proton and Honda.

Put it this way, assuming a 7 year loan is made with a down payment of RM10k with 3.5% interest rate. The amount to pay monthly for the Perdana 2.0 is around 1.5k and 2.4 for 1.9k. As for the Accord, 2.0 is at around 1.8k and 2.4 at 2.4k.

At this rate, it is 1.5k VS 1.8k = RM300 difference and 1.9k VS 2.4k = RM500 difference.

This car is targeted at upper middle class consumers. The common purchasing behaviour in this category of consumers is not about cutting budget and finding the cheapest alternative as possible. An extra RM300 or RM500 per month is not really a big amount for those who are able to fork out over RM100k for a car unless they are really pushing their budget. As we all know, most Malaysians nowadays are very brand conscious and image driven. Between Proton and Honda, most probably many will just go for Honda coupled with the fact that the Perdana is based on the previous generation Accord.
hahahaha, for that kinda money, and with image/brand conscious in mind, some ppl might consider buying a used BMW, or even Merc (provided that ppl don't mind a used-unit, and the car in good condition)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hahahaha, for that kinda money, and with image/brand conscious in mind, some ppl might consider buying a used BMW, or even Merc (provided that ppl don't mind a used-unit, and the car in good condition)
But the maintenance for those kind of cars will be twice or triple the amount for new Perdana or Accord. When maintenance day comes, they will be cursing unless they already expected that kind of amount.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Torrential rain, coupled with strong winds and cold temperatures weren’t enough to stop the Motul-Autech GT-R from claiming victory in the GT500 class with Benoit Treluyer and Satoshi Motoyama behind the wheel at the Fuji Speedway.

The weather pounded the track for most of the race, forcing the marshals to bring the race to a halt on Lap 60 of the scheduled 66 lap race. Such was the rain that cars were...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience