KE70 (estate)

Jan 28, 2018
Petaling Jaya
Hi everyone. Just joined 0-100 and I was hoping to get some advice.

Currently i'm looking into getting a KE70 wagon for my business and as a DIY project for weekends. Got loads of questions but the main ones are:

1) what to look out for specifically when it comes to buying one 2nd hand. Is there anything problems that are unique to this model that I need to look out for?- I've already seen a few but they usually are pretty banged up. heartbreaking as they looked really good in the pictures.

2) what would the approximate cost be to remove all the rust, panel beating and bondo work cost (of at least reasonable quality)? doesn't need to be mint factory finish. Also how much does solid colour paint job cost these days ?

3) what is a decent new engine i could shoe horn in to replace the original 4K motor. i know the 4AGE is pretty good but i'm looking more for longevity and easy maintenance than outright power. I know the 4AGE black top and silvertop are awesome but they cost quite a packet, just to purchase.

Well these are the most pressing ones right now. I'd like to apologise in advance if this question has been asked before and there is a post/thread that's already available here, but i haven't found it yet. looking forward for some good tips! cheers !

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Bodywork pricing is subjective, depending on level of damage.

Personally since it's a daily workhouse, I'd suggest the Toyota Unser 7K 1.8L engine. Parts are plentiful, easy to maintain and it's a toyota work horse engine.

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
Why ke70 wagon ? Known for rust

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Rust issues with ordinary cars of that age is hard to be avoided as these cars spent most of its life being used as normal car and most of them are treated as a disposable car for rough usage in their later years.

Proper care and maintenance of these cars tend to be neglected so normally there will be a lot of issues that you will need to fix if you bought these cars. You will need to prepare a sum of money and most importantly, patience to restore the car as it can be tricky to deal with some of these problems.

Sure, there are some KE70 with very good condition out there but most of them are not for sale as people won't simply sell off a car that they have put so much of work and care into.

stupidcar

5,000 RPM
Mar 18, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
If u are able to get an estate version, ur classic car street cred will be damn high hahahahaa.
For KE70, drive the 4k first la, they are actually not too bad in reliability. Then save for a 4A, first gen enough dy with TVIS.

ZoomZoomZoom

Jan 28, 2018
Petaling Jaya
i suspected as much. Thanks for the feedback..the reason why i'm going for an older car and a wagon is because i'm deliberately going for a 'surfer -beach dweller' look. Usually surfers in will go for older cars that can get them and their surf boards from point A to B, cheaply. Toyota KE70 were known to be hardy cars and simple to maintain.

Will keep looking for that elusive, pristine or well-kept unicorn KE70 :)

cheers !!!

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
i suspected as much. Thanks for the feedback..the reason why i'm going for an older car and a wagon is because i'm deliberately going for a 'surfer -beach dweller' look. Usually surfers in will go for older cars that can get them and their surf boards from point A to B, cheaply. Toyota KE70 were known to be hardy cars and simple to maintain.

Will keep looking for that elusive, pristine or well-kept unicorn KE70 :)

cheers !!!
The asking price could be high for a good condition unit but I think it sort of justifies its price if lets say it is not more than 20k. Because if you buy a bad condition KE70 at about maybe 5k, you might end up spending more than 15k trying to swap engine, mod the car, restoring the bodywork and also the amount of time spent in doing all that.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
You can get a nice MKII wagon for about 16K i saw one for sale few months back. Keep your eyes peeled for it. Its a GX71 series, and in very good shape. I did personally see the car. Best thing is the MARK II is much better engineered car, so you dont get the cheap car rattles and squeaks like the KE70 series.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Bodywork pricing is subjective, depending on level of damage.

Personally since it's a daily workhouse, I'd suggest the Toyota Unser 7K 1.8L engine. Parts are plentiful, easy to maintain and it's a toyota work horse engine.
That is why my friend still keep after upgrade to Innova, used to carry stuffs, engine real work horse......lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
You can get a nice MKII wagon for about 16K i saw one for sale few months back. Keep your eyes peeled for it. Its a GX71 series, and in very good shape. I did personally see the car. Best thing is the MARK II is much better engineered car, so you dont get the cheap car rattles and squeaks like the KE70 series.
Mark II is a better in every aspect for sure but sourcing for parts is the real trouble of owning such an uncommon car in Malaysia. If sourcing for spare parts is not an issue, then going for Mark II is a good choice.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

In the same event, Bermaz Motor also introduced a diesel option for its mid-size crossover, the CX-5 SkyActiv-D.

What's the deal?

Like the Mazda6, this new CX-5 SkyActiv-D is also equipped with Mazda's super-efficient and environmentally-friendly diesel...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience