DIY Batteryless SmartTag

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
I'm sure many people already done this.

But here is how I did it.

Prepare the parts :- a 9V IC regulator. ***7809, 2 pcs of 100uF/16V e.capacitors, and a heatsink and pcb.

Then solder all the parts together. The IC pin when seen from front side is Input-Ground-Output. Connect the E.cap at input to ground and output to ground respectively.

Buy the ciggarete jack (since im not smoking, better put it to good use) and open it up and rig a switch to turn it on and off.

Solder the input and output to the regulator. Need to cut the battery connector inside the battery compartment of the smarttag.

On the battery cover of smart tag, u will notice a small notch. Cut it
out for the wire to go out.

Finally cover it up nicely. Done!

And you will never need a battery ever again. Huhu...

Next DIY is to put a LED lighting to the SmartTag LCD screen.. hehe..

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
thx blackhowling.. (or orangehowling?)..
ciggie no power means ur fuse blown maybe..
or ur battery kong hahah...

SentraVIP

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
Wow... Nice work! Been thinking of that too. Care to share the schematics of the board? Also, where to get em parts, eh?

Thanks!

melliniums

Known Member
May 4, 2006
nowadays people need everything wireless.why need thet thing with wire.otherwise the battery cost about rm9 and can use for 8-12 month.better for me use the wireless thing.so simple and not complecated wit wire.

how ever nice job whoever done it.

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
true millenium. its individual preference. if u like wireless (as my wife would prefer too), then, use battery lor...

me, i dont like to use battery. sue me, im cheapskate hahah...

sentraVIP, the schematic is simple really.. and those part u can buy from pasar road.

the IC is a normal 1Ampere regulator (although u dont need 1A type, u can use lower Amp type.. like 150mA ones).. part number is in the form of ***7809*** 7809 means positive output 9V. similarly, 7805 is positive 5V output.

schematic as attached.

Attachments

SentraVIP

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
Well, I for one wud go for this wired method. I need to replace my 9v every 3 months!

Yeah, I'm cheap too... Maybe u'd go for an oxygen mask while I breath normally?

LOL... Jus joking ya?

SentraVIP

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
Yeah, I do... If I were to buy some Plus shares, think I shud be rich jor!

Anyway, sorry for OTing.

I got an idea... do you DIY sifus here think I can go the extra mile by dismantling the whole thing a build a custom housing for the smart tag? Thinking of a permanent fix in 1 location without raising suspicion. Anybody tried that?

gavan

1,000 RPM
Apr 14, 2004
Shah Alam
Visit site
dont think its a good idea... the smartag was designed that way already, where samor you wanna mount it, then if you wanna remove it that time how to remove? permanen fixtures sure hard to remove wan, after all, it looks good already ma now =þ

SentraVIP

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
Not as in 'welded' fixed lah. More like a permanent, yet can be taken out with ease placement of the tag.

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
sentraVIP, thats a good idea too. in a way, it camouflaging the tag as something else (deterrent for thieves).. i really hoping that the tag was built a lot smaller so, it will fit in a women's handbag.. but now the size is bulky.

if u think of taking it apart, do take care about ESD (electrostatic discharge) from your body. Strap yourself to earth by wire to avoid damaging any sensitive parts inside (esp ICs or transmitters)..

SentraVIP

Known Member
Jul 11, 2006
Erm... I will. Acherly, I'm not electronically inclined, but tot if anybody has done that, so can learn a thing or two from there mah. Is there any pix of the internals of a Smart Tag?

ylkien

Known Member
May 17, 2005
KL/PJ
Nice DIY work! Thumbs up!

I use my smart tag every day (thru 4 toll booths to be exact). If I use cheap battery (ever ready), then it can only last a few months. If I use Energizer, it can last more than 1 year.

Last time, when i measured the current consumption of the smart tag, it draw ~10mA all the time (standby mode), and when you press it (to check balance, etc), it will draw ~100mA for a few seconds. I thought of adding a on/off switch, so that the battery can last longer.

Have to be careful, as some smart tags are faulty. My friends smart tag, died within a few days. There seems to be some short circuit in the smart tag (not so smart after all, yea).

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
i tested my batteryless smartag when driving to kampung.. all is AOK. however i realized a few disadvantages.

1. if there are no smartag lane, i need to take out the card from the tag (since the wire i used is a bit shorrt - just enough to place the tag on the dash.).. but for me i think thats ok. (not that hard to take out the card right?).

2.if for some reason, the tag did not read thru at a smartag lane, normally the toll operator will come and ask for the tag. haha.. if u diy this, it will be impossible to give it. (but can always just give her the TnG card.... ;P)

so those who want to DIY theirs, might want to take these 2 points in mind when designing the connection.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Guy's,

im having a problem here. I found out there is some oil squit out frm my engine head cover whn i reach high boost. i've tried to replaced the cover but its still there. any sifu know wats going on?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience