Turbo upgrade..Ecu upgrade

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
Hi, i got curiosity

So want ask here, when you change your car to turbocharger, you have to change your ecu to aftermarket ecu such as haltech and etc right..
Ok if i change the ecu, will it make the electronic function gone such as ABS, EPS ..those electronic function...is it store in the same ecu or different place?

Another one, just for confirmation, is blowoff valve needed when you go turbocharger your car? If it is needed, the hissing "pstt" sound that i heard most of modified car, sound like whistle..can the sound just like normal,? Because i know factory turbo car also has their own version blowoff valve, they dont have the whistling sound to dump the excess boost from the turbo..

Last edited:

Solty8

Known Member

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Hi, i got curiosity

So want ask here, when you change your car to turbocharger, you have to change your ecu to aftermarket ecu such as haltech and etc right..
Ok if i change the ecu, will it make the electronic function gone such as ABS, EPS ..those electronic function...is it store in the same ecu or different place?

Another one, just for confirmation, is blowoff valve needed when you go turbocharger your car? If it is needed, the hissing "pstt" sound that i heard most of modified car, sound like whistle..can the sound just like normal,? Because i know factory turbo car also has their own version blowoff valve, they dont have the whistling sound to dump the excess boost from the turbo..
1st mind telling is this a bot or ori with turbo ? I assume is n/a then bot rite since you mention change ? But if change can also mean u ori got turbo juz change bigger hence should be add turbo kit ?

If ori got turbo then change bigger usually not too hard. IF no turbo, then u add on a turbo kit then diff story from simple low boost to big boost kit really depends on your budget and ecu or management system. N i think u need sum time to understand bout the management system usually your ori system will be there, if you use simple solutions, but if your budget allow, and you mention haltech means u can afford, or u plan to go for these, then it's not an issue, if your tuner knows what he is doing. Again, these management system usually taps into your current system to get data from your ecu and alter / mod / retard / add / reduce things like air / petrol / timing / well the list goes on. The original function of your car should not have effect unless you replace the whole system or do sum major mod. Do check our Haltech - Engine Management Systems | Engine Management Systems or maybe can even pick which one suit your need based on your car and performance you want. But I always suggest transplant engine for turbo if your car have the halfcut for turbo engine. If no such choice, then can get turbo kit from reputable brands from japan or us. Else can look for famous local turbo expert but typical budget is min 5k to 10k and up to 20k or more if your car is not common.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
Sorry didnt mention which one..I want to bolt-on turbo or bot like you said
So what i understand is those change to aftermarket ecu does not disturb those ABS,EPS thing..

What about the blow off valve, i dont want the whistling sound, it attract police attention...got many type of blow off valve does not have that whistling sound right..for example hks ssqv got no fin option that make it no whistle sound..

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM

l2s_turbo

1,000 RPM
Oct 23, 2004
Sorry didnt mention which one..I want to bolt-on turbo or bot like you said
So what i understand is those change to aftermarket ecu does not disturb those ABS,EPS thing..

What about the blow off valve, i dont want the whistling sound, it attract police attention...got many type of blow off valve does not have that whistling sound right..for example hks ssqv got no fin option that make it no whistle sound..
If you doesn't want the sound, just choose those recirculating valves rather than blow off valves.. or you can also custom the blow off valve to a recirculating valve by changing the front mouth adapter.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
Alright got it, i understand..thank you very much .it solved

Solty8

Known Member

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Alright got it, i understand..thank you very much .it solved
So u started your project d ? Bot must take it slowly and find reputable turbo sifu. Got alot famous and highly recommended ones, again important is the compression and tuning. Never over boost, but since you mention you dun like the bov sound, then why go turbo ? Can consider super charge actually. Again depends on budget. If this car you plan to use for long term and won't sell then is worth to do lots of mod, but if you plan to upgrade car then should reconsider resale value.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
So u started your project d ? Bot must take it slowly and find reputable turbo sifu. Got alot famous and highly recommended ones, again important is the compression and tuning. Never over boost, but since you mention you dun like the bov sound, then why go turbo ? Can consider super charge actually. Again depends on budget. If this car you plan to use for long term and won't sell then is worth to do lots of mod, but if you plan to upgrade car then should reconsider resale value.
Actually december i want to start it, i will go to Ftzone in penang since i'm in penang, i think the owner is famous in penang, so i will go there.
About the bov sound, actually i like the sound and i know the HKS sqv got option that dont have the whistling sound just by take out the part call "fin" that make it a whistling sound...it attract police attention actually that what i thought and i always in city region and the sound will disturb people in taman..because i know Bov can sound like we released our breath

yes actually it long term just to satisfied my speed, i chose turbo because it make my car go faster when i need,i have use the car for 2 years and when i want to go faster always like the sound so loud but still didnt go yet so i decide to add turbo ..haha..and i know my car limit, because i calculate my budget and will not go more certain wheelhorsepower to actually hold it, because most of car part will be stock except bolt-on turbo add in the engine

Solty8

Known Member

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Actually december i want to start it, i will go to Ftzone in penang since i'm in penang, i think the owner is famous in penang, so i will go there.
About the bov sound, actually i like the sound and i know the HKS sqv got option that dont have the whistling sound just by take out the part call "fin" that make it a whistling sound...it attract police attention actually that what i thought and i always in city region and the sound will disturb people in taman..because i know Bov can sound like we released our breath

yes actually it long term just to satisfied my speed, i chose turbo because it make my car go faster when i need,i have use the car for 2 years and when i want to go faster always like the sound so loud but still didnt go yet so i decide to add turbo ..haha..and i know my car limit, because i calculate my budget and will not go more certain wheelhorsepower to actually hold it, because most of car part will be stock except bolt-on turbo add in the engine
Bro I check your history, I assume your car is myvi 1.5 SE ? IF myvi easiest n less trouble is k3vet 1.3 turbo. So far many go this way no issue, or can try to get the turbokit for vios or similiar. Taiwan many good example of people modding vios with turbokit even thailand. Malaysia I think got few also with turbo but auto gearbox must take sum care.

If u can sell off your 1.5 and put in a 1.3T it could be very very cheap actually as I know some will snap up 1.5dvvt for 5k if got good buyer than that money u can buy the halfcut d. But sad thing is not many things can reuse from the yrv halfcut beside engine, dash, and sum stuff. Good thing bout bot is always can take out and demod to stock den sell your car off. As long as the engine never boost too high and injure the internals usually it's quite safe.

Car with bov attract mib ? Dun mod too much on exterior as many stock looking cars are just ok. Ensure to drive below boost range then no bov sound edi well at least not so sharp and noisy but I dun use hks sqv coz too typical as I prefer blitz, tial or others. The chirping sound of hks is too typical, and many are using it. Go check out youtube and find the bov sound u like then source for the bov which u prefer. But not all will sound alike as some will sound very diff when at diff boost level.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
Bro I check your history, I assume your car is myvi 1.5 SE ? IF myvi easiest n less trouble is k3vet 1.3 turbo. So far many go this way no issue, or can try to get the turbokit for vios or similiar. Taiwan many good example of people modding vios with turbokit even thailand. Malaysia I think got few also with turbo but auto gearbox must take sum care.

If u can sell off your 1.5 and put in a 1.3T it could be very very cheap actually as I know some will snap up 1.5dvvt for 5k if got good buyer than that money u can buy the halfcut d. But sad thing is not many things can reuse from the yrv halfcut beside engine, dash, and sum stuff. Good thing bout bot is always can take out and demod to stock den sell your car off. As long as the engine never boost too high and injure the internals usually it's quite safe.

Car with bov attract mib ? Dun mod too much on exterior as many stock looking cars are just ok. Ensure to drive below boost range then no bov sound edi well at least not so sharp and noisy but I dun use hks sqv coz too typical as I prefer blitz, tial or others. The chirping sound of hks is too typical, and many are using it. Go check out youtube and find the bov sound u like then source for the bov which u prefer. But not all will sound alike as some will sound very diff when at diff boost level.
Ya, myvi 1.5se
i will just bolt-on. more easier..haha
oh thank you for the tip, exterior i didnt change anything...haha

i got another question, i'm still going to official perodua service centre, after i bolt-on i can just go service my car outside of the service centre right,the benefit is good right,because the turbo related stuff need to be maintain right?

Solty8

Known Member

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Ya, myvi 1.5se
i will just bolt-on. more easier..haha
oh thank you for the tip, exterior i didnt change anything...haha

i got another question, i'm still going to official perodua service centre, after i bolt-on i can just go service my car outside of the service centre right,the benefit is good right,because the turbo related stuff need to be maintain right?
Well lots of cars are sleepers, outside look ori but inside got turbo, charger, many mods on engine. Those which look very "Ganas" or "fierce" might actually just have the looks. But some have both but most MIB only target outlook "ganas"

Usually best is to keep going to the place who help you do the bolt on. FTZ should have the experience, but budget I am not sure tho and seems they sell brand new stuff only ? Or they might be able to source for used stuff which will help alot in saving for your kit. Again, always go low and safe boost as bot really is not that reliable compared to stock transplant at least that's the experience of most bot I see always will have gasket, piston ring, and even certain hose issues when turbo, boost, pressure enter into a N/A engine. But if the garage / workshop is well experienced they should know what to do to prevent such issues then issue will be the owner willing to pay the $$$ or not. Don't be shocked to see price of 10k for a good reliable turbo kit, if done properly, can easily boost higher but will have to be prepared to do overhaul as ori n/a engine is not that strong. Maybe can ask around in the Myvi group as I remember I met few turbo myvi b4, few mention they got bot and most I know r K3Vet transplant.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
Well lots of cars are sleepers, outside look ori but inside got turbo, charger, many mods on engine. Those which look very "Ganas" or "fierce" might actually just have the looks. But some have both but most MIB only target outlook "ganas"

Usually best is to keep going to the place who help you do the bolt on. FTZ should have the experience, but budget I am not sure tho and seems they sell brand new stuff only ? Or they might be able to source for used stuff which will help alot in saving for your kit. Again, always go low and safe boost as bot really is not that reliable compared to stock transplant at least that's the experience of most bot I see always will have gasket, piston ring, and even certain hose issues when turbo, boost, pressure enter into a N/A engine. But if the garage / workshop is well experienced they should know what to do to prevent such issues then issue will be the owner willing to pay the $$$ or not. Don't be shocked to see price of 10k for a good reliable turbo kit, if done properly, can easily boost higher but will have to be prepared to do overhaul as ori n/a engine is not that strong. Maybe can ask around in the Myvi group as I remember I met few turbo myvi b4, few mention they got bot and most I know r K3Vet transplant.
Yeah, i'm experience it when i driving, the car look exterior like can go fast, then when i beside them, they start throttling and sound so loud but still there..haha
and i'm meet some just normal look but can go like wow..seriously wow..from the car that start from 1000cc engine to 2000cc engine..

i have already ask FTZ, he said 8k to 13k..yeah i was astonished first but if you can go fast, it's worth the cause..i will choose the price near with 8k..
Interesting tip, thank you for sharing..i will careful make my decision haha

Last edited:

ixeo

4,000 RPM

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
ask the mech what is changed for the bot project. list everything. if forged pistons and conrods are not included. RUN AWAY. its best to list down the stuff that is required and see how much it costs, and not say you want to spend rm8k and cut corners if it doesn't fit in your budget.

you know what happens when you cut corners? your engine explodes. and in the end you spend even more.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
ask the mech what is changed for the bot project. list everything. if forged pistons and conrods are not included. RUN AWAY. its best to list down the stuff that is required and see how much it costs, and not say you want to spend rm8k and cut corners if it doesn't fit in your budget.

you know what happens when you cut corners? your engine explodes. and in the end you spend even more.
Ohhh, thanks for the reminder.since i not doing it now, i still got time to decide

Solty8

Known Member

Solty8

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
Ohhh, thanks for the reminder.since i not doing it now, i still got time to decide
Just some basic break down for a turbo kit.

1. Manifold to fit in turbo n exhaust.
2. Pipe works for reroute air, fuel, intercooler and sum stuff bov, extra injector if possible get stainless steel.
3. Intercooler
4. Blof off valve
5. Good engine management (This will be the major factor if use piggy back or sum trick beter beware)
6. Injectors upgrade or extra or anything depends on tuner
7. Decompression ? To lower engine compression
8. Exhaust system, pipe n stuff. Stainless steel if possible. Could do together with the intercooler stuff.
9. Extra money just in case need to rebuild or forge or strenghten your internals.
10. Time and patience, if this is your main car, then you really need to rethink. Never expect be done in 1 week or 2 weeks and expect no issues.

Things you need to beware, 1.5 SE is DVVT or VVTI which have high compression, so either sum tuner tottaly treat it like a normal n/a engine which never bother bout the vvti or will remap retune everything to give low end turbo ( small turbo mebe from kancil or K3vet) then during high rpm your vvti will still be active but turbo won't be within active range. Pro is good low end and top end power but maybe not very big hp increase.

Another is straight away big hp with big turbo, but u will face with sum turbo lag, and might not even have the function of VVTI. Every tuner have their own way of doing so must study well and shoot them your own opinions. If a tuner jus answer I am the pro here, just listen to what i say and do and just pay the money then juz forget bout it.

And also do note, K3VET transplant is much much cheaper, 5K should land you a good halfcut and if you sell your 1.53SZ-VE i suppose could fetch around 3-5k as well then you just need to fork out sum extra for the mods and rebuilds. But issue is 1.5 downgrade to 1.3 but the reliability of K3VET as it's stock turbo vs a bot is higher.

Well decision is yours and if you go for bot, be prepared to overhaul your engine if anything bad happens it's very common for bot projects have issue with internals especially if your on an auto box.

Speed Workd Vios Turbo Kit

Speed Works FB Page bout another Vios Turbo Kit Loads Of pics

GT Auto Vios Turbo Kit

You might ask why vios well afaik both are toyota engine and I believe they are both quite similiar engine. Seems quite complete from speedworks so you can compare price and items so you know what your paying for. Quote from their website 8k for items 1k for installation. Seems quite reasonable might have sum offer if you take package for upgrading brakes, oil coolers, and sum stuff I guess.

Do note, ppl quote me FMIC already 1K minimum just for stainless piping, so with those items labour and stuff quite ok lor of around 9k.

zhome

zhome

Jun 30, 2014
I will just continue here, so i not need to make new thread...
so i want to ask your opinion...
i always use shell helix ultra 5w40 on my myvi
after bolt-on turbo, do i have to change to different number or just continue the same
i mean now 5w40
after BOT,10w40..or is it ok just stay same number 5w40
so wait for you reply thanks..

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

After asking a few mechanics' opinion, I have found out the auto gearbox for my Wira a/b 1.6 is going to die soon. All have suggested replacing the gearbox. Now, I have switched gearbox 3 times already, and I'm tired of that. Furthermore, the car revs more than it moves, therefore consuming a lot of petrol.

A friend's mechanic said he can replace my gearbox with a manual one at RM1700. This includes a 4G93 1.8 gearbox, gear console, pedals, flywheel, clutchplate, starter and all other...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience