Wira Sound proofing

okwoks

Dec 19, 2006
Good day gentlemen,

Would like to have some opinion on diy sound proofing on my wira internal firewall. I have done some research on how to disassemble the dashboard and now still indecisive on what kind of material to use. Here are the possible materials that is under my consideration

1) Since i'm doing the firewall which is the most difficult part, i was thinking to spent more like getting re-known brands like STP/dynamats/Silent Coat. Got some quotation from accessories/audio shop and price range >800++ per box. :banghead:

2) alternatively, bitumin tape/strips can also do the job with less effective. Found a roll of 4" bitumin tape x 10m selling for only rm40. But the thickness(1.3mm) is a bit of concern. Probably i can overlay another layer and make it thicker. Will bitumin tape melts?

3) Apart from the above, i bought superlon for sound insulation. Im am confuse whether the rough surface should face the firewall or the smooth surface. AFAIK, rough surface absorbs more sounds coming from firewall. noob here :p

Appreciate if any sifu/guru can share their experience.

Domo arigatou :wavey:

cvkit17

2,000 RPM
Mar 20, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Not all bitumen strips are not good. Some are cheap and will not harden or melt. Maybe you can ask the seller to show sample, maybe one that he has installed in his car. Or if the branded ones are too expensive to you, you may look for STEALTH brand. I bought mine for RM400+ (can't remember to area but definitely enough to cover the firewall and perhaps some part of the doors). So far so good i.e. It didn't melt or harden. I have been using it for almost 3 years now.

As for superlon, it's the corrugated surface facing the noise source. Happy diy

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Bitumen tape wont melt at the firewall. They are quite ok for heat insulation & minor water proofing but not so good for sound-deadening. The one problem you might face is when you wanna remove the tape.They are quite messy to remove.

I would recommend you to use good ones for better sound proofing result.

Do it once and for all.

Afterall, you wouldn't want to redo the sound proofing again, if you have discovered bitumen didnt quite work.

BTW, there are plenty of rubber bungs at the firewall too. While you are doing the sound-proofing work, replace the worn/lost rubber bungs at the holes at the firewall. Noises could be transmitted through these holes.

Also, put some sound deadener at the transmisssion tunnel too...

Happy DIY

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Personally I'd consider Silent Coat sponge then for the dampening bit, use anything like Dynamat or whatever you can do. The SC sponge seems to work really amazingly well to cut out mid to high noises.

okwoks

Dec 19, 2006
Personally I'd consider Silent Coat sponge then for the dampening bit, use anything like Dynamat or whatever you can do. The SC sponge seems to work really amazingly well to cut out mid to high noises.
Thanks izso for the recommendation. Will consider this too. I did consider dynamat extreme and contacted few direct seller but either it's out of stock or no reply. The price is around stp gold/bomb too.

Bitumen tape wont melt at the firewall. They are quite ok for heat insulation & minor water proofing but not so good for sound-deadening. The one problem you might face is when you wanna remove the tape.They are quite messy to remove.

I would recommend you to use good ones for better sound proofing result.

Do it once and for all.

Afterall, you wouldn't want to redo the sound proofing again, if you have discovered bitumen didnt quite work.

BTW, there are plenty of rubber bungs at the firewall too. While you are doing the sound-proofing work, replace the worn/lost rubber bungs at the holes at the firewall. Noises could be transmitted through these holes.

Also, put some sound deadener at the transmisssion tunnel too...

Happy DIY
Thanks for the valuable tips. I did noticed those holes which have worn out on my 11yo wira. Since most sifu recommended a decent brand which is manufactured for its purpose, bitumin tape is out from my list. Redo-ing the sp is a big no no :biggrin: I can't imagine how painful to remove the bitumen cm by cm.. lol

Not all bitumen strips are not good. Some are cheap and will not harden or melt. Maybe you can ask the seller to show sample, maybe one that he has installed in his car. Or if the branded ones are too expensive to you, you may look for STEALTH brand. I bought mine for RM400+ (can't remember to area but definitely enough to cover the firewall and perhaps some part of the doors). So far so good i.e. It didn't melt or harden. I have been using it for almost 3 years now.

As for superlon, it's the corrugated surface facing the noise source. Happy diy
STEALTH brand seems like fitting into my budget. Some googling around, couldn't find any seller but instead saw a japan made sound deadening sold by maxaudio... :confused: . Well at least the thickness is 2mm.

parakey

1,000 RPM
Apr 30, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
This is so helpful, my wife and i are trying to save money because she's pregnant and currently in her semana 8 de embarazoso we have to spend a load of money on doctors, best way of saving money!
Spammer :damnmate:

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

:smile: ..i just change my stock turbin to AR60 twin blade type..but the prob is..its seems like my fuel pump cannot support enough fuel...so , anybody can help me what the cost of gtr fuel pump @ others suitable pump & the cost...pls assume me as a newbee in the turbo world, btw the machine is rb20det/manual...tolong ye abang 2X.. :dancing2:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience