Want Speed?!! Go SIngle Turbo!! Discuss.....

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
I've been receiving countless pm's with regards to how fast the rx7 can go, how reliable its is and the list goes on.

The main thing in terms of speed is the limitations we have with our twin turbo setups. There is hardly much you can achieve once you have reached its peak with all mods etc.

I am now researching a single turbo setup as it will give me two very important factors in my 5 years++ of ownership:-

1) reliability - everything is simplified, no more bullshitting with solenoids, check valves, actuators etc.

2) speed & horsepower - which will be much higher than stock

What i would like to hear is some experiences or thoughts from you guys on what kind of single turbo setup? Ball bearing turbines the works basically.

I'll post up single setups from time to time and we can discuss.

Force Performance

Known Member
Apr 28, 2005
Borneo
How high d power u need?

:cool: 2 mods d FD twin turbos engine is not new now. It all depends how high d horse power u required!

:cool: 480hp o'ready can be produced from d original 2 turbo set up in 1 of d Amercian RX7 event many years ago. n tis made up our mind 2 upgraded 1 0f our member FD by maintaining d stock turbo with large impeller only, n of cause some other effective tricky parts 2 fine-tuned engine 2 operate good driveability n response 4 almost all rounded rpm range everyday. With tis mods, v had outran quite a number of other big single turbo RX7s at highway from standing start till top speed.

:biggrin: Unless u r willing 2 go 4 extreme tuning stage - e.g. drag racing, u can start throwing all those Mazda heavily invested 4 all FD, 2 u are so-call bullshit solenoids, check valves, actuators etc. then 2 replace a big single turbo set-up 4 tis 13B rotary should be a good match 4 very high power output 2 win races.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
whatever it is you;re smoking, i'd like some too. I run 282rwhp with stock 280 turbo's. the list of modifications done to the car is very extensive which also includes a standalone ecu.480hp on stock turbo's is a joke. its not possible. by going about running sequential lines from one end of your engine to the other and only have them pop out and you spending countless hours manybe days trying to find the source, i;d without a doubt would get a single conversion.

I'd like to see your so called tuned cars. what was the invested amount to bring about the power band of singles?

WIth the availability of newer more responsive turbo's in the market i'm suprised with your claims.

Do you own an rotary powered vehicle? if yes then lets meet up and debate this out as "wagging" of tongues is free but i'd like to see your so called tuned cars capable of beating single setups. before i forget please do tell me what size single turbines your "upgraded twins" can take on.

joe13

Known Member
May 15, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
Whatever those smokes are, they sure are filled with much force for so much performance tongue wagging to be displayed so vehemently.

Dude, i'd like to see your *reliable* single-snail-quashing-stock-twins-FDs; and your "other effective tricky" parts. They sure must be really tricky, to come up with so much reliable force and performance on your FDs.

Mate, there are many reasons why so many FD owners move to single; high HP is NOT JUST one of them. Secondly, do your homework. Mazda did not "heavily invested" into the FD, the first generation FD was actually drawn out on a much skimped budget. AND if you actually know the MOST BASIC intricacies of the FD, you'd know that the solenoids, check valves and actuators ARE bullshit.

Thirdly, win what races?

Last edited:

reartyre

Known Member
Mar 18, 2005
i'am not much of rotary tech. person yet ... but definately own one ... yet i do understand what the debate is all about now and it looks is getting better and better .... if there is a rotary "stand-off" ... count me in .... hehehehehe

kuroneko

Nov 10, 2005
phat7 pretty much nailed it in the first post about the simplicity and reliability being a benefit of running single. I guess it depends on what you want to build your car up to be. Street spec wise, Sure you could slap on a big turbo and pull some big numbers with the supporting mods, but wouldn't you rather have easily accessible mid range power/torque? IMO, on the streets, a well tuned medium sized single turbo pushing 300rwhp could be faster than a sluggish, gigantor T51R that could put out almost twice the amount of rwhp, but at 2000rpm higher?

Just my 2c, but seeing as I don't own an FD, I apologise in advanced If my opinion sounds stupid >__<

endless551

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
From the way phat7 sounded.. I dun think street drivability is any of his concern.. BIG man needs BIG POWER. Becos Big Man said so! And maybe win some 'races' along the way.. haha

joe13

Known Member
May 15, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
endless551 said:
From the way phat7 sounded.. I dun think street drivability is any of his concern.. BIG man needs BIG POWER. Becos Big Man said so! And maybe win some 'races' along the way.. haha
wei... where hv u bn? havent seen u around for a looOOOoooonnng time...

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
hi phoon. nope thats not what i meant. in fact i'd advise something with faster prespool. having a big ass turbo is pointless unless of course you intend to drag in to the closest mc'd's.

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Wow this is getting funky!

I don't care - my turbo's still bigger than yours phat7 even if yours has balls!

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Wow this is getting funky!

I don't care phat7 - my turbo is still bigger than yours even if yours has balls!

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
and what have YOU been smoking now mate?? ;)

joe13

Known Member
May 15, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
phat7 said:
hi phoon. nope thats not what i meant. in fact i'd advise something with faster prespool. having a big ass turbo is pointless unless of course you intend to drag in to the closest mc'd's.
or the nearest beer joint as usual... :biggrin:

ramsing

Known Member
Nov 15, 2003
phat7.....i hear you're slow as stink man!!! dun make me come there and teach you a thing or two or three on speed.... lets do a 400m man....winner takes all.
my particular best is 83.45 seconds....834.5 seconds after about 5 beers....:D

jeffblazed

1,000 RPM
Nov 7, 2004
phat7 said:
I've been receiving countless pm's with regards to how fast the rx7 can go, how reliable its is and the list goes on.

The main thing in terms of speed is the limitations we have with our twin turbo setups. There is hardly much you can achieve once you have reached its peak with all mods etc.

I am now researching a single turbo setup as it will give me two very important factors in my 5 years++ of ownership:-

1) reliability - everything is simplified, no more bullshitting with solenoids, check valves, actuators etc.

2) speed & horsepower - which will be much higher than stock

What i would like to hear is some experiences or thoughts from you guys on what kind of single turbo setup? Ball bearing turbines the works basically.

I'll post up single setups from time to time and we can discuss.
bos.... just wondering can get 300kmh top speed ah...with 250whp...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Source: Malaysian Digest

A driving license is considered by most as a substantial milestone in life akin to getting a credit card, buying a first home or being hired for a first job.

As Malaysians we are known for our warm behaviour and expressive nature, yet when the subject of Malaysian drivers comes to mind, one can’t help but express a considerable amount of concern on the...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience