How to tell a faulty ECU?

zan

2,000 RPM
Feb 20, 2005
we cant tell. ECU will tell us.

its an electrical item. most probably short circuit. a spoiled engine ECU means engine cant start. simple as that. at least if sensors not in working order, the CHECK ENGINE light will be on for reminder.

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
or do u mean how to check if its a faulty ecu when u wanna purchase them??... how to test if its still working fine before installing...

xerofighter

Not so senior member
Mar 2, 2004
Subang
i think you need to plug it in to find out. other symptoms for faulty is ecu is , if you are running an auto box, jerkiness/difficulty shifting/gearbox suddenly jumps to N.

Inventor ®

Known Member
Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Thanks to all bros who had comment...

zan : u're definately right, if the ECU is totally KO then of course it will tell us. But I would love to know how to tell if it's NOT totally faulty but part of it or going to KO?

SkYwAlKeR : at this moment, I would juz like to know whether my ECU is faulty. My car jerks for no apparent reason, after changing and checking all things such as; spark plugs, fuel pump, injectors, plug cable, throttle body....errrrm I thk it's abt that. But it still jerks?? Hai...tot of checking the ECU and fuel tank. Any idea? And would be glad if you could share how to check an ECU if I would hv to replace it. Thanks...

xerofighter : how abt manual? I'm driving manual. My car jerks as u've mentioned but no check lights on...what the heck! Cant seem to fix it. At the moment none of the mechanics are able to diagnose what's the problem.

Vacuum hose too is replaced! Any other things that would cause a car to jerk?? HELP!!! So damn frustrated to drive ever since, feel like juz taking a bus!

ryucky81

Known Member
Jun 1, 2005
johore
jerk har.ur car will feel heavy or not har when tekan minyak? old car or new car. if new car go back service centre. if old car have ur gear box check.

Inventor ®

Known Member
Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
Bro, something like that though. It's heavier if air-cond is on. It will normally feel hard/jerking/hesitate to go during low rpms e.g. below 3k. Normally jerks as I accelerate from 1k~3k on each gear. Higher gear jerks lesser. Mine is a 6 yrs old car, considered old I thk, it's transplanted with MIVEC inside. Any idea what to check with the gearbox? Check the flywheel (didn't skim), clutch plate and clutch or check the gears area?? Thanks...

What actually the problem u're referring me to?

ryucky81 said:
jerk har.ur car will feel heavy or not har when tekan minyak? old car or new car. if new car go back service centre. if old car have ur gear box check.

WhiteSpoonCivic

Tree Hugger
Aug 25, 2005
KL
If it's the distributor it'll jerk at high rpms as well..
Check your gearbox and see... my fren had the same prob and it's the gearbox.. if it's not it could be ut throttle body area is leaking air...

WhiteSpoonCivic

Tree Hugger
Aug 25, 2005
KL
check ur syncro

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I have a noob question

Can anyone tell me the difference between N1 and Sflow mufflers (or other types if i missed out any)
Also, what is a 'cat-back' :rolleyes:

Hope sifus can enlighten me with all these exhaust terms. Im planning to fit a reasonable sports exhaust on my ride. Its automatic transmission so i wonder if Universal mufflers do good on it?

HELP HELP HELP :adore:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience