4g93T gsr engine rebuild, need advice

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
My engine is currently suffering. From my understanding (got knocking sound from block) the big end bearing have failed me. I ran into a problem last september 08 if i'm not mistaken. After installing a new transmission i went to a wheel shop for wheel alignment. The shop was located in front of the batu caves area, got big Hankook sign on it. Everything went well at first, then i was f**ked up by the kid who handled the alignment. Once the alignment was complete he then test drive my car. The dumbf**k was irresponsible enuf dt he went and tarik kaw-kaw my car. Long story short, the piston blow-by.. aftermath of this was 1 cracked piston and broken skirts piece from all 4 pistons. So i had to do a quick fix (no money). They were ONLY willing to pay only half (1/2 price workmanship only). Reluctantly and disappointed, i had to replace the rings, rod bearings, with 2nd hand piston. And now my big-end Failed.

To solve the big-end problem i can either overhaul or rebuild with strengthen parts. My budget allows me this parts:
- 4agze 81.5mm bore/8.5cr
- Duratech Forged rod 20mm pin
- 2nd hand Gti crankshaft (polished)
- ACL duraglide bearing set @ OEM bearings

I know that a full forged piston is better, but my budget restricts my needs.
I want to build my engine to the exact spec/tolerance. And i want the block be thoroughly cleaned and all the involved parts inspected. I think both the water n oil pump is still reusable hoping it would save me some money. Can you guys that has experience with engine rebuilding recommend me a good reputable shop (with reasonable w'manship charges) to build my engine. I'm planning to use the engine for daily commute and some track time. And the engine must only be built once and last at least 2-3years coz i cant afford any more engine problems.
I have found a workshop. They quote me $1.3k for cleaning,inspecting,assemble,disassemble.
Please give constructive assistance.
:wavey:

Below are the pics of damage done by alignment shop. Very dissapointed of d misfortune, i cared for the engine with love :bawling:

Attachments

Last edited:

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Forgot to tell, recommended engine builder must be in KL or Selangor area. Easier to see the work in progress. :biggrin:

zamiex

Known Member
Nov 1, 2005
is the tayar shop located at corner lot at sunway bt caves?
if yes i also experienced the same thing the boy the tarik my car kaw-kaw after do alignment..
sorry for your misfortuned man..

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
ye la bro.. Feel like want to burn down the shop. To all forumers with modified vehicle around bt.caves area. Take my advice -- DONT GO THERE, PERIOD!
:thefinger: :thefinger:

Anybody selling their used forged piston and rods?? Need A.S.A.P.

Lazarus

Known Member
Feb 10, 2004
Visit site
amel666: so your engine is already out? and u already have the part u mention? call me up 012-9448796 (raziff) we can meet up and i'll try and help you out. my place is very near to your place. regarding the spec/tolerance issue u will only know when u already have the parts that you are going to use. piston clearance and ring gaps differ for oem and forged, same goes with tightening bolts because oem and arp can't be torqued with the same value. main/conrod bearing clearance is also another issue. in the end is how much you are willing to spend and how reliable u want the engine to be.

Last edited:

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
amel666: so your engine is already out? and u already have the part u mention? call me up 012-9448796 (raziff) we can meet up and i'll try and help you out. my place is very near to your place. regarding the spec/tolerance issue u will only know when u already have the parts that you are going to use. piston clearance and ring gaps differ for oem and forged, same goes with tightening bolts because oem and arp can't be torqued with the same value. main/conrod bearing clearance is also another issue. in the end is how much you are willing to spend and how reliable u want the engine to be.
I'll try to find the receipt. Forgot the name already. But the shop is same row with kl turbo one. Got big Hankook signboard at the shop.

Bro lazarus, my engine still inside chasis. Not sent to garage yet. And the parts not yet ordered.I was thinking of doing the rebuilding job at Garage 9 USJ 1. But still undecided about which setup combination most suitable and in budget. My budget is around $5k (+-). Hope to lower d cost a bit, (just married, no money :bawling:). I was thinking of using forged rods with oversized 4agze 8:1cr piston. But i'm not comfortable mix & match parts. Plus, the supercharge piston need to be shaven, lighten and balance for best result whereas the forged counerparts just plug n play. But the cost makes me "swallow my sliver" hard..
Another issue is i'm abit worried about the engine cleaning by the engine builder. If its possible i prefer the engine block to be thoroughly cleaned ensuring reliablity and prolong engine life.

I'm currently at w.maju now. I'll give u a call and maybe we can meet up soon. Need advice, options, estimation of cost and candidate for engine builder. :stupid:

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
why did your piston crack in the first place? even though tarik kaw kaw from a good tuned engine shouldn't face any problems. was it overboosting? insufficient engine oil causes your crankshaft to fail on you? diagnose what causes the engine failure first before buying all those "not" needed parts for your rebuild otherwise same thing will happen again.

Example, you and your mech overlooked the weak fuel pump and or oil pump. Even if you use the best available forged pistons and conrods.. they will still be destroyed due to lean airfuel mixture. Get it?

Yo Lazarus, long time to hear from you edi man... now your project car all completed edi? any more monster parts you need ah? call me man if you need it.

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
The car was not fully tuned when i went for alignment. Plus i forgot to off the boost controller. Of course the problem is fuel too lean. I think the culprit behind this is the oil screen not properly mounted or torqued. Messing with my oil press thus damaging the rod bearing.

After the run-in period i changed the oil, and there was a small nut in my sump. Luckily i used the magnetic sump nut so the nut stick on the sump nut. My previous mechanic said maybe the alignment shop didn't tighten the screw strainer nuts. Plus my dipstick was stuck on something, oil level on the dip stick is always below low even though i poured in 3.5 liters of fresh oil. God knows what else the freakin shop left inside my sump.

I met wit lazarus recently, he encouraged me to build it myself. Here's a guy that u can truly call a "motorsport enthusiast". Thumbs up to him for successfully do his own job.. :top: :top:

I'm still pondering on whether to DIY the building process or outsource it to a garage. But the thought of accomplishing a complicated tasks really motivates me.. Just that i lack a lot of tools needed for the job including a torque wrench. :banghead:

ftzone

full throttle zone
Feb 21, 2005
Penang, Prai
www.ftzoneracing.com
If you do not have the proper tools & knowledge to do the rebuild I suggest you better don't start on your own. Unless you got lots of support from really good engine rebuilders. Or you can outsource to a good engine rebuilder which don't mind you tagging along...you can get your hands dirty by helping.

Let me tell you... even machine shops differs from each other. Quality of reboring your block differs from shop to shop. Send your block to an inexperience & improperly equipped machine shop, your block will be as good as scrap metal junk.

vteckiller

Supporting Merchants
Nov 17, 2003
go for wesico forged pistons and forged rods...
very cheap ma...
only 3k plus ma..complete...

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
go for wesico forged pistons and forged rods...
very cheap ma...
only 3k plus ma..complete...
Jo,
been trying to call u 4 few days alredy but no answer bro. Met wit Lazarus few days ago, he told me to check wit u for stok n price.

What's d best price u can give for Wiseco 82mm/ 9.0:1cr wit Eagle h-beam rods? Is it available now? Quote me cheap a bit la bro. For motorsport one.. hehe :biggrin:

amel666

Known Member
Jul 24, 2008
K.L
Does anybody know where can i find tools to rent (or borrow :biggrin:)? I mean tools like engine hoist, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:49 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:08 PM ----------

An engine stand would also make life easier. If i can borrow/rent it from somewhere..

Lazarus

Known Member
Feb 10, 2004
Visit site
amel666: sorry didn't pick up your call this past few days. i didn't bring my phone with me on holiday. regarding the nut that was in your oil sump what size is it? if it's a 10mm bolts then it's for your oil sump, if it's a 12mm bolts then it's for your strainer and if it's a 12mm nut then pray god i think that is for your conrod bearing cap. from your story there is a logical theory that probably your mech didn't tighten the 2 - 12mm bolts for the strainer and during engine running the bolt came lose under vibration and the strainer changed it's angle and u have the problem with your dipstick getting stuck.

ftzone: i'm still living well man, how are you bro?. i think i have everything in place. waiting to tune the engine one last time before it see's the strip again. for sure i will call u if i do want your stuff. everything i bought from u is running like a charm so there's no reason why not to if the price is right. :)

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

bought a used car...how to change to a new number? i dont want the existing number to the car...anyone know/got any lubang to change to new number????

willing to invest on a new bike, but i dont want the bike, just to get the number...please pm/reply back

019-324 9797
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience