(Nearly) New Airtrek Owner

CDBarlow

Jan 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hi everyone,

Nearly the proud owner of a 2003 Airtrek Turbo R in Black!

Importing from Japan to UK, have to wait until 6th March for arrival, very excited :)

Plans
Evo 8 Wheels
Gaz Coilovers
Evo Recaros
Evo Brembos to Front and Rear
Evo 7 Exhaust
TD05 and FMIC
Evo X SST Paddle Shifter
Mishimoto Electric Fan Transmission Cooler

I also wish to source Front Skirt, Side Skirt and Rear Skirt from Ralliart model, does anybody on here know where to source them or does anybody have any for sale and able to ship to UK?

Will update with photos when it lands :proud:

Cheers

Chris

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Hi Chris,

Welcome to ZTH-MAC! And congratulation on going to be an Airtrek owner soon. It's a wonderful car that has both convenience and performance. All your mods plan looks decent. However you may want to also consider:

> Evo camshafts for better response
> Higher CC fuel injectors
> Fuel regulator
> Fuel pump
> And lastly dyno tuning of course

With all these, you're almost having an Evo motor. With proper dyno tuning, you should easily see around 250whp if your car is healthy. Good luck and do share photos.

CDBarlow

Jan 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Hi Chris,

Welcome to ZTH-MAC! And congratulation on going to be an Airtrek owner soon. It's a wonderful car that has both convenience and performance. All your mods plan looks decent. However you may want to also consider:

> Evo camshafts for better response
> Higher CC fuel injectors
> Fuel regulator
> Fuel pump
> And lastly dyno tuning of course

With all these, you're almost having an Evo motor. With proper dyno tuning, you should easily see around 250whp if your car is healthy. Good luck and do share photos.
Cheers mate,

I take it the Airtrek has different camshafts then?

To be honest, im building an FTO 6A13TT too...so once i've built that i will then take the airtrek off the road and remove engine to fit Evo 8 MR Pistons and Rod, ARP Bolts and ACL Bearings. I will also fit 264 cams and maybe Borg Warner ballbearing turbo.

But i will add all of the above :)

What kind of power will the gearbox take if you do not launch hard, just rolling power?

Also, car has only done 94,000KM :)

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
If your autobox is still healthy, it can take up to 320whp before it starts to slip. Good luck buddy.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Cheers mate,

I take it the Airtrek has different camshafts then?

To be honest, im building an FTO 6A13TT too...so once i've built that i will then take the airtrek off the road and remove engine to fit Evo 8 MR Pistons and Rod, ARP Bolts and ACL Bearings. I will also fit 264 cams and maybe Borg Warner ballbearing turbo.

But i will add all of the above :)

What kind of power will the gearbox take if you do not launch hard, just rolling power?

Also, car has only done 94,000KM :)
curious.... is that conversion on an fto alot of work? must be absolutely cramp!!

CDBarlow

Jan 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Anyway, thought it would be time to get an update as the car landed 3 months ago and not posted since.

Car came totally standard, but ive done a few small things since i have got it:

* Evo 8 Enkei's (Powder Coated Black)
* 3inch Turbo Back Exhaust (De-Cat)
* Gizzmo IBC Boost Controller (set to 1.0 bar)
* Brembo's (Not fitted yet, but ill explain why further down, lol)

Ive also wet sanded the car with 1500grit, followed by 2000 then 2500, then G3 on machine polisher (see pics)

Story about Brembos:

I have Evo 4 Hubs from my FTO where i fit Brembos, so i bought brand new bearing for Evo 4 hub to fit to Airtrek. When i try to fit, the joint on airtrek wishbone too big. So i then buy Evo 7 hub and new bearing, attempt to fit again...hub now fit wishbone nice, next push in driveshaft...driveshaft too small :mad: same size driveshaft as Evo 4.

So 2 choices: 1) Try and fit Evo 7 Driveshaft, but possible expensive test or 2) Drill out Evo 4 hub to fit Airtrek wishbone :rofl: (see pic of drill bit)

I still havent try to fit yet, but i will send pic if successful ;)

Attachments

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Nice work there.
Wow! you sand down then G3 some more, means clear coat quite a lot gone. After G3 what finer polishes you use and what wax to protect?

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Anyway, thought it would be time to get an update as the car landed 3 months ago and not posted since.

Ive also wet sanded the car with 1500grit, followed by 2000 then 2500, then G3 on machine polisher (see pics)

Story about Brembos:

I have Evo 4 Hubs from my FTO where i fit Brembos, so i bought brand new bearing for Evo 4 hub to fit to Airtrek. When i try to fit, the joint on airtrek wishbone too big. So i then buy Evo 7 hub and new bearing, attempt to fit again...hub now fit wishbone nice, next push in driveshaft...driveshaft too small :mad: same size driveshaft as Evo 4.

So 2 choices: 1) Try and fit Evo 7 Driveshaft, but possible expensive test or 2) Drill out Evo 4 hub to fit Airtrek wishbone :rofl: (see pic of drill bit)

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=465130&page=28
post your car pic here.:biggrin:

Apr 26, 2015
Brisbane / AUS
Can I please get some more info on how you did the rear brembos.
If you had some photos on how the calipers are mounted to the hub.

Struggling here with my workshop finding a solution to get these fitted.

03Airtrek

Aug 3, 2016
AU

Story about Brembos:

Nice car. I'm interested in the difference your ebc to 1bar from stock made? Hard to install? That's my next mod..

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Im thinking of buying a car and renting it out when im not using it. Is there a rental need for suzuki swift sport? Are hatchback easy to rent out?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience