Airtrek Turbo Gearbox

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Dear All Sifu,
i need all your advice and opinion.
i suspect my gearbox KONG already.
on yesterday i feel my car have jerking and have metal sound came out. first i suspect my turbo kong because when i step the pedal just have sound running low speed, release pedal sound more loud. jerking awhile then no more already.
so this morning i try again, same method when i step pedal just have sound,release same.
but when i go fast totally no sound came out. then i suspect is my gearbox kong. why i suspect because i try switch to pedal switch, gear 1,2,3 sound came out, change til gear 4 then no sound.
so this can proud is gearbox KONG? can repair? how much the cost? or change it? if change, change half cut condition or change the recon gearbox?

Last edited:

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Dear All Sifu,
i need all your advice and opinion.
i suspect my gearbox KONG already.
on yesterday i feel my car have jerking and have metal sound came out. first i suspect my turbo kong because when i step the pedal just have sound running low speed, release pedal sound more loud. jerking awhile then no more already.
so this morning i try again, same method when i step pedal just have sound,release same.
but when i go fast totally no sound came out. then i suspect is my gearbox kong. why i suspect because i try switch to pedal switch, gear 1,2,3 sound came out, change til gear 4 then no sound.
so this can proud is gearbox KONG? can repair? how much the cost? or change it? if change, change half cut condition or change the recon gearbox?
any one can advise?

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
if the gearbox really kong, it will turn to limp mode. u can only run on 3rd gear. but now all gear can engage, only sound then it might be the transfer gear or long shaft.. u have to get it check.. go to ah hwa in kinrara..

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
if the gearbox really kong, it will turn to limp mode. u can only run on 3rd gear. but now all gear can engage, only sound then it might be the transfer gear or long shaft.. u have to get it check.. go to ah hwa in kinrara..
His location.....Perak....:smokin:

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
you means the mid-box?
actually is all gear can run, just only the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear will have sound came out. sound like metal grinding.
and last night have happen on 1st gear look like slip when waiting traffic light cannot move.

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
Then come up to see Ah Wah.......lol:driver:
ya later will call him.
i just scare later is gearbox problem then need to change, suddenly dont know go where get it. because i need on the same day get the car. that's why i need confirm the problem then get the solution. now i have search the gearbox halfcut and recond.

4gbanger

1,500 RPM
Jun 26, 2013
Johor/ShahAlam
ya later will call him.
i just scare later is gearbox problem then need to change, suddenly dont know go where get it. because i need on the same day get the car. that's why i need confirm the problem then get the solution. now i have search the gearbox halfcut and recond.
better get the car for check first. sometimes not every error is a big issue.. sometime only atf not enuf so the gear changes slow and snapping.. better send your car there in the morning, get some fren to follow u, and if really need to get a set of gearbox u can drive to buy.. there are few halfcut shop to go for.. i counted its 4 shops around selangor. which 3 in puchong and 1 in subang for airtrek turbo parts.

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
better get the car for check first. sometimes not every error is a big issue.. sometime only atf not enuf so the gear changes slow and snapping.. better send your car there in the morning, get some fren to follow u, and if really need to get a set of gearbox u can drive to buy.. there are few halfcut shop to go for.. i counted its 4 shops around selangor. which 3 in puchong and 1 in subang for airtrek turbo parts.
i already call ah wah. he confirm is the gearbox spoil. he say 1 of the gear spoil and make the sound grinding. so he suggest me change gearbox because cheaper and fast. and he say wait he find the gearbox just let me know.

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
i need some idea from you all.
option 1: buy a halfcut gearbox to change it
option 2: overhaul the gearbox
option 3: buy a rebuilt gearbox to change

which is better ?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
i need some idea from you all.
option 1: buy a halfcut gearbox to change it
option 2: overhaul the gearbox
option 3: buy a rebuilt gearbox to change

which is better ?
3 is like 2, some will want your old gb in exchange.
For me if keeping the car, either 2 or 3, since overhaul means change new parts etc...
halfcut gb, don't know the history of it.....:smokin:

biao

Known Member
Oct 21, 2012
perak / ipoh
3 is like 2, some will want your old gb in exchange.
For me if keeping the car, either 2 or 3, since overhaul means change new parts etc...
halfcut gb, don't know the history of it.....:smokin:
yup, the 3 is need my old gb in exchange. if 2 cost very high, some quote me 2k+

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yup, the 3 is need my old gb in exchange. if 2 cost very high, some quote me 2k+
Might as well trade in if can get cheaper. Keeping old gb also no point, unless can keep for spare parts......:smokin: