bronzeFD

Dec 7, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
This just in from Mitsubishi Motors Japan: 22nd May 2015

All Evo's with following chassis numbers are affected
CT9A-0300201 ~ CT9A-0501851
Manufactured: January 30, 2004 - February 27, 2007

Basically affecting the passenger side airbag inflator:

"In the air bag inflator for a passenger seat (expansion device), the results of the examination of market recovery product, it was confirmed that the inflator container there are things of poor airtightness. Therefore, long-term moisture in the atmosphere in the process to be used to penetrate inside the inflator, there is a risk that does not successfully deployed at the time of airbag deployment gas generating agent to moisture absorption."

Not sure if the inflator is manufactured by Takata which are now infamous for the "excessive explosion when activated" issue which will send shrapnel to your face upon deployment.

But the description of moisture degrading the inflator propellant is eerily almost the same like the Takata.

"Nov. 14 (Bloomberg) -- The woman in the first known fatal crash tied to faulty Takata Corp. air bags outside the U.S. was pregnant and her fetus died too, according to the car’s maker.

The July 27 accident in Malaysia involved a 2003 Honda City subcompact that was manufactured in Thailand, while the air bag was made in a Takata plant in Georgia, according to Jordhatt Johan, head of public relations at Honda Motor Co. in Kuala Lumpur. The automaker is recalling more than 15,700 vehicles in Malaysia, he said.

“The driver crushed her vehicle into another vehicle, and the driver’s SRS air-bag was deployed abnormally and the inflator case was broken,” Jordhatt said yesterday, declining to provide the name and other details of the victim. “She was pregnant and the fetus also died.”

This latest fatality adds to the four deaths linked to Takata in the U.S., including one in Florida that police first investigated as a murder because of gashes to the driver’s throat. Faulty air-bag inflators made by the Japanese company have ruptured and spewed metal fragments at passengers, prompting safety campaigns by automakers including Toyota Motor Corp. and General Motors Co."

Source:

https://translate.google.com/transl...layselect.do?orderno=13576&edit-text=&act=url

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Wow, means all branded Japanese make are involved. Was Toyota and Nissan, then Honda, Now Mitsu also.....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

long time i didnt post DIY stuff here... so i'm back... i got the Wira SE OEM extractor from a fren from hometown... he kept it for a year... so i have to remove the rust b4 using it on my car....

DIY Port n Polish WiSE extractor :
http://khguan.fotopic.net/c960690.html

DIY Install WiSE extractor :
http://khguan.fotopic.net/c960680.html

Installation of the extractor was...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience