Turbo Misconceptions

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
Would like to clear some big misconceptions , received too many PM's regarding this
sifu sifu , sdf , bebolasgalas can add more if got anymore info

1. A/R of turbo
Bigger A/R does not mean bigger turbo. AR80 is not bigger turbo than AR70 or AR60.
Must understand what is A/R first. A/R is just a ratio that garrett uses for their housing.

some pics of compressor housings

the T04E family housings

T04b/e/s

AR80 t25 turbo

AR60 t28 turbo

so how now guys, the AR80 is bigger than the AR70 ? hehehhe
and dont compare a ar70 with another ar70 turbo , u need a full spec to compare the turbos

a GT35R , GT40R , T04R , all uses same front compressor housing, A/R 70 , so u cant really tell that both cars are using AR70 so they have the same power output , a GT40R and GT35R have a diffrent hp range and so does the T04R and etc.

this is T70 vs GT40 vs GT42

hehe thank u , :P , too bored to reply all the PM's which states "I have a fren selling AR70 turbo" , "I want to buy AR70 turbo, ok ah?" etc

So guys , a bigger A/R doesnt determine a bigger turbo

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
yeah,,,thx for the write up jin. me too, many of my friends confused about the A/R hence they this big A/R means big turbo...haizz. sometimes i feel not in the mood to straighten up their confusion after many times already tell the same thing over the time

putra4G63

Feb 25, 2008
just wanna add up..here the plot goes..and this is a real story..

when : last eidulfitri raya
where : kelantan
actors : 1 black satria vs bunch of other turbo's
story : the satria beats all of its nemesis..some of them equipped with GT35 and TO4R and etc..and the best of it is that..rumours say that the satria only use AR 50..and guess what ITS TRUE..

flamefox850

500 RPM
Nov 15, 2003
Pasir Mas
www.geocities.com
so what's the meaning of this ? A/R 50 is what turbo ? that's the most important question

p/s : 1 more thing, in drag race, horsepower won't guarantee a victory. that's why in some cases vtec car with only 200whp ++ can beat 400whp turbo car

payed_4115

Known Member
Jul 18, 2006
just wanna add up..here the plot goes..and this is a real story..

when : last eidulfitri raya
where : kelantan
actors : 1 black satria vs bunch of other turbo's
story : the satria beats all of its nemesis..some of them equipped with GT35 and TO4R and etc..and the best of it is that..rumours say that the satria only use AR 50..and guess what ITS TRUE..
black satria JDT ker??:stupid::listen:

putra4G63

Feb 25, 2008
the one that charges the battery :P

Bump: putra4G63 , dont get ur story, so meaning ? err
Sorry bro jinkl for 'kacau' your thread..This is a very informative thread..I know my post is out of topic a little bit..what i mean to say is that, people keep on asking about AR 50,60 or 70..What is more important is to get the turbo which suits your engine capacity best..A friend of mine explain to me few times already about this AR but to be honest, even until now i dont really understand it..the same does not go for everyone,maybe it's just me(a little bit of lag in learning)..there are too many things to learn, thats why i dont ask about AR anymore although GT35 AR 70 will do wonders to my car..hehehe..
Having said that, i hope that this thread by bro jinkl has settled the misconception once and for all..

..My apologize again...With Regards..

Last edited:

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
simple explanation from Garrett on their method called A/R.

whereas IHI, MHI, Holset and Borg Warner measure differently, hence they measure the smallest volute in the housing area and it's usually in "cm". Eg. IHI has P12 = 12cm2 and MHI has a 6 or 8 on the turbine housing it depicts 6cm or 8cm volute area.

Holset doesn't measure the trim of a compressor wheel, instead they only look at the width of a compressor wheel, hence the comparison vs a Garrett style (in2 / ex2 x 100 = trim) vs Borgwarner vs IHI vs MHI measurement isn't really fair and the only way is via the manufacturer compressor map chart. (again this is only a guide, if it's been mix-n-matched / hybrid, the compressor map may not be accurate anymore and if the displacement of engine is different, the outcome is gonna be varied as well). Japanese makers are very seclusive and compressor maps are never easy to get, even distributors find it a hassle to obtain one.

Turbine wheel trim is variable as well and old skool style of Garrett (o-trim, p-trim, q-trim) are no longer relevant. IHI has a mixed flow trim. Then came cut backs and now Garrett has GT trims. So too many to compare and explain.

Products these days work out straight out of the box ! Don't bother with old skool tech of mix-n-match and hybrids, buy a part number and plonk it right in your engine, it'll deliver the HP closest to your desire. As an end user like us all, we just want something that works, unless you have lotsa time and money to R&D.

I am glad jin started this thread and hopefully it gets logged and noticed and more importantly it clear up the air over "myths". These explanations and discussion have been around for a long long time in ZTH especially.

Guys, keep it coming BUT keep it constructive.

Attachments

Last edited:

kenzo

6,000 RPM
sdf , can u plz recommend me the best turbine for my evo4 engine? i want lots of torque, my last dyno only manage 382nm of torque, and my budget not much also, around 2k is ok, unless u will trade in my td05hr....and im planning on only putting e-manage, 1.8mm gasket, walbro and higher cc injectors, and maybe banana....

jinkl

4,000 RPM
May 22, 2004
Kuala Lumpur
sdf , can u plz recommend me the best turbine for my evo4 engine? i want lots of torque, my last dyno only manage 382nm of torque, and my budget not much also, around 2k is ok, unless u will trade in my td05hr....and im planning on only putting e-manage, 1.8mm gasket, walbro and higher cc injectors, and maybe banana....
for 2k, even after trade in n topup, it wont fetch into the gt30 price range
but a t3/t4 is in the range , t04e should be fine in the 350hp+ range
but do remember that u need a banana , cheap ones are 700-800 , good ones are 1200-1400
i tink SDF can also go 20g for ya , ask em n see

Last edited:

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
lotsa torque and great drivability would be the GT3037R with a 0.63t/h.

Then again..2K won't get you there mate.

BTW - jin started this thread as a preconception to misconception on turbo understandings..as for pricing and enquiries, it's better done in private. Thanx.

proPIPING

1,000 RPM
Mar 23, 2006
it's clear the muddy water....hope our zth forumers will read this...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys.....i need to know a few things bout changing from auto to manual.....my gearbox alre kong!!!driving 1.6 wira auto

1.price??
2.place??
3.how long to change??
4.wat procedure to do for JPJ??
5.problems faced after conversion if any......
6.additional info....

thanks in advance for those who can help me!!!
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience