Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Weekend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Here is a question that I would like to ask many of you here. What do you guys think about having a modded car as daily drive or have 2 cars, one for daily, another for mods?

For me, I think that it is better to have a car for daily use and another for mods. My reasons would be :

1. Fuel consumption. It will probably save costs in terms of fuel consumption in long run if you keep a stock car or fuel efficient car for daily use and travel. A heavily modded car probably won't give you a good FC in long run.

2. Maintenance cost. Since you are not using the modded car very often, mileage gains will also be lower. Lower mileage = longer service interval time. Service for modded or performance cars tend to be expensive and if you are using them as daily, that also means that you will be servicing them more often. Replacement for wear and tear parts will also be more frequent as well. I think for some performance cars, the costs for one service session can be more expensive than the roadtax and insurance costs for a normal car.

3. Security. This is probably subjective but I think if your car is heavily modded with expensive parts like carbon fibre parts, security would be an issue isn't it? If you are driving it around here and there daily, then perhaps the risks of it getting stolen or targeted is also higher?

4. Practicability. Perhaps the modded car is not comfortable for daily drive with setups such as overly stiff suspension or racing clutch. Or it could be a 2 door car with inadequate room space for extra passengers. Having an ordinary car would prevent these issues.

5. Transportation. Sometimes, if we are planning to do major mods or things like engine overhaul, we need to leave the car at the workshop for days or weeks. In that case, transportation would be an issue. By having another car, leaving the modded car at workshop would not be such an inconvenience.

These are some of my opinions for now. I hope to hear more opinions from you all regarding this topic.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
really depends on you but, personally I agree with those points 100%.....

some of these modified cars.... cannot daily drive punya.... some cams so aggressive that they cannot idle properly, some lowered till you cannot masuk basements, some loaded with goodies end up can only simpan rumah..... some just keep blowing up when pushing to the limit...

loose_end

3,000 RPM
Jul 29, 2009
Malaysia
In Malaysia 2 cars is advisable.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
really depends on you but, personally I agree with those points 100%.....

some of these modified cars.... cannot daily drive punya.... some cams so aggressive that they cannot idle properly, some lowered till you cannot masuk basements, some loaded with goodies end up can only simpan rumah..... some just keep blowing up when pushing to the limit...
Thanks for agreeing. :biggrin:

You mod until that extent that you mentioned, the car is almost like racing car for track use already... But then, some cars even without heavy mods is already drinking fuel like crazy compared to normal cars. Like Evo, STI those... 1 month of their petrol bill for daily drive is probably enough for 2 months at least for normal cars. Perhaps even 3 months maybe.

In Malaysia 2 cars is advisable.
Is there any difference in other countries? If you are saying countries like Japan where public transport is efficient, then perhaps 1 car is enough since people there do not need to drive regularly.

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Thanks for agreeing. :biggrin:

You mod until that extent that you mentioned, the car is almost like racing car for track use already... But then, some cars even without heavy mods is already drinking fuel like crazy compared to normal cars. Like Evo, STI those... 1 month of their petrol bill for daily drive is probably enough for 2 months at least for normal cars. Perhaps even 3 months maybe.
I ended up with a quite stock old mitsu. Daily drive it to work. Fc is anywhere from 10l-15l per 100km :bawling: depending on traffic (PJ traffic can be really bad and no i dont speed at all). I refuse to bring it to shopping malls cause.... most people are horrible and give you door dings. :bawling: I also dont really dare bring it anywhere unless i can keep an eye on it (takut kene break in, nothing really valuable but, finding replacement parts :banghead:)

huhu lucky i didnt go through with buying such a heavily modified car..... otherwise i would probably die driving it :driver:. back then i thought, 'ohh i dont mind driving a heavily modified car, would be fun. Its fine! whats the point of modifying if im not gona drive it'... now, nvm a stock sporty car is enough, not like i have anywhere to speed to anyway

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Here is a question that I would like to ask many of you here. What do you guys think about having a modded car as daily drive or have 2 cars, one for daily, another for mods?

For me, I think that it is better to have a car for daily use and another for mods. My reasons would be :

1. Fuel consumption. It will probably save costs in terms of fuel consumption in long run if you keep a stock car or fuel efficient car for daily use and travel. A heavily modded car probably won't give you a good FC in long run.

2. Maintenance cost. Since you are not using the modded car very often, mileage gains will also be lower. Lower mileage = longer service interval time. Service for modded or performance cars tend to be expensive and if you are using them as daily, that also means that you will be servicing them more often. Replacement for wear and tear parts will also be more frequent as well. I think for some performance cars, the costs for one service session can be more expensive than the roadtax and insurance costs for a normal car.

3. Security. This is probably subjective but I think if your car is heavily modded with expensive parts like carbon fibre parts, security would be an issue isn't it? If you are driving it around here and there daily, then perhaps the risks of it getting stolen or targeted is also higher?

4. Practicability. Perhaps the modded car is not comfortable for daily drive with setups such as overly stiff suspension or racing clutch. Or it could be a 2 door car with inadequate room space for extra passengers. Having an ordinary car would prevent these issues.

5. Transportation. Sometimes, if we are planning to do major mods or things like engine overhaul, we need to leave the car at the workshop for days or weeks. In that case, transportation would be an issue. By having another car, leaving the modded car at workshop would not be such an inconvenience.

These are some of my opinions for now. I hope to hear more opinions from you all regarding this topic.
It all depends on how much mod you want to do. If you just want to mod with slightly larger rims and bigger better tires, slightly more aggressive suspension, remap the car just a bit or increase boost just a bit, improve braking a bit, and after all those the car is still perfectly suitable for daily drive without compromising reliability much, then why not still use it for daily drive? If you want to go all out to monster power level, make it like a track demon which doesn't care about any other aspects like comfort, FC etc2, , then maybe better to have another car for daily.

Another consideration is also how hardcore one is. Like maybe some people would not consider driving a Lancer Evo, FD2R, or a Lotus Elise as a daily car even in stock condition, but some do really use them daily.

Finally whether you have space for extra cars if you want to have separate cars for daily & modded ones. Rich enough to have a big house to park many cars then can have different cars for different purposes. If only got space for 1-2 cars then forget about it.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
It all depends on how much mod you want to do. If you just want to mod with slightly larger rims and bigger better tires, slightly more aggressive suspension, remap the car just a bit or increase boost just a bit, improve braking a bit, and after all those the car is still perfectly suitable for daily drive without compromising reliability much, then why not still use it for daily drive? If you want to go all out to monster power level, make it like a track demon which doesn't care about any other aspects like comfort, FC etc2, , then maybe better to have another car for daily.

Another consideration is also how hardcore one is. Like maybe some people would not consider driving a Lancer Evo, FD2R, or a Lotus Elise as a daily car even in stock condition, but some do really use them daily.

Finally whether you have space for extra cars if you want to have separate cars for daily & modded ones. Rich enough to have a big house to park many cars then can have different cars for different purposes. If only got space for 1-2 cars then forget about it.
I wonder why would they not want to drive it daily. If it stock, it would just have normal wear and tear and im sure the replacement / maintanence wont cost your kidney. Aside from security reason, what else deter them to drive them daily. In this case like JDM performance car, subie sti/evo/fd2r.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I ended up with a quite stock old mitsu. Daily drive it to work. Fc is anywhere from 10l-15l per 100km :bawling: depending on traffic (PJ traffic can be really bad and no i dont speed at all). I refuse to bring it to shopping malls cause.... most people are horrible and give you door dings. :bawling: I also dont really dare bring it anywhere unless i can keep an eye on it (takut kene break in, nothing really valuable but, finding replacement parts :banghead:)

huhu lucky i didnt go through with buying such a heavily modified car..... otherwise i would probably die driving it :driver:. back then i thought, 'ohh i dont mind driving a heavily modified car, would be fun. Its fine! whats the point of modifying if im not gona drive it'... now, nvm a stock sporty car is enough, not like i have anywhere to speed to anyway
I remember you saying that you are using a 2 door Perdana-ish car.. Now you are saying old Mitsubishi... So, could that be FTO? Since that is related to Perdana via the 6A12 engine. If that is your car, I think that is quite good enough as a daily just that it can't really fetch a lot of passengers.

If it is a normal car with subtle mods that you mentioned, I think it is still fine to drive it daily. What I meant for those that is suitable for weekend would be those real performance cars like Evo, FD2R, Elise like you said. Sure there are people who use them for daily but perhaps their income is quite high and money is not a problem for them. But for those with average income but enough to own these performance cars, I think it is better to keep them as a weekend car?

Parking space depends on where you live. If you are living in cramped city areas like KL or Penang, perhaps that will be the most important factor on whether to get a weekend or not.

I wonder why would they not want to drive it daily. If it stock, it would just have normal wear and tear and im sure the replacement / maintanence wont cost your kidney. Aside from security reason, what else deter them to drive them daily. In this case like JDM performance car, subie sti/evo/fd2r.
I don't think the maintenance costs for these performance cars will be cheap. Engine oil is not the same as ordinary cars. Tyres are not cheap even if stock. 17 inch 235/45/17 tyres on older stock Evo and STI wheels are quite pricey. Even a stock rear lamp for CT9A series Evo can cost over RM1k per set. Replacement parts are all expensive.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Agree with bro. 6UE5t, what extent of mods. If normal turbo car, can use as daily. Have been using mine for 16 years....lol

If you talking about mod until track play, then better keep 2 cars.....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Agree with bro. 6UE5t, what extent of mods. If normal turbo car, can use as daily. Have been using mine for 16 years....lol

If you talking about mod until track play, then better keep 2 cars.....:driver:
If you have kept the VR as a weekend car and bought a low maintenance daily car like Viva, Axia those kind of car, do you think that will help you save up more throughout the time of 16 years?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If you have kept the VR as a weekend car and bought a low maintenance daily car like Viva, Axia those kind of car, do you think that will help you save up more throughout the time of 16 years?
Nope, firstly my traveled distance daily not really that great. Secondly I got to buy another car, and second car maintenance which I think will cost more......lol:rofl:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
I remember you saying that you are using a 2 door Perdana-ish car.. Now you are saying old Mitsubishi... So, could that be FTO? Since that is related to Perdana via the 6A12 engine. If that is your car, I think that is quite good enough as a daily just that it can't really fetch a lot of passengers.
yep a 21 year old fto. its impractical, Insurance companies hate me but ohh its a pretty little thing that still turns heads and quite nais to drive.

I wonder why would they not want to drive it daily. If it stock, it would just have normal wear and tear and im sure the replacement / maintenance won't cost your kidney. Aside from security reason, what else deter them to drive them daily. In this case like JDM performance car, subie sti/evo/fd2r.
well.... if you drive long distance daily, driving a car with a shortshiting manual transmission, heavy clutch, harsh suspension(honestly most have even stiffer aftermarket suspension), plus the exhaust drone (applicable to those who like to mess with exhaust) it can be a little strenuous... you generally have to be very alert in these cars. harsh suspension/lowered cars, you will always be on the look out for potholes/humps, wince on ramps praying the skirt/bumper/exhaust does not scrape.. yeah i think you get my drift:driver:

alot of these performance cars dont do well in heavy start stop traffic.

mag9556

2,000 RPM
Jul 11, 2006
Me drive daily ori turbo cars for dont know donkey years already.. (got a bit touch up:nurse:)..
if Auto, no issue.. manual with triple plated clutch, you try 1st then you will know especially in city where stuck in heavy traffic... try and see..:nurse::nurse::rofl::rofl: like driving a 20 years 10 ton Hino lorry feelings
maintenance is around the same since the parts life span is better but need to use time to dig at chop shop...

somemore.. those with loud big size that make for bbq exhaust.. try to go outstation and see.. be prepare to standby a earplug coz if not, you will like just out from a propeller plane man....

I agreed that FC for big HP cars is better in long distance since I had tried a lot of time where it can be double or triple up your daily urban or town drive...

:listen::listen:funny things is the more you drive, the parts last longer... you put at your house longer, kong faster... lol...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Nope, firstly my traveled distance daily not really that great. Secondly I got to buy another car, and second car maintenance which I think will cost more......lol:rofl:
I guess your VR maintenance is still around an ordinary car level since it is a Galant originally. Most parts are still compatible with normal Galant except engine and drivetrain parts maybe.

yep a 21 year old fto. its impractical, Insurance companies hate me but ohh its a pretty little thing that still turns heads and quite nais to drive.

well.... if you drive long distance daily, driving a car with a shortshiting manual transmission, heavy clutch, harsh suspension(honestly most have even stiffer aftermarket suspension), plus the exhaust drone (applicable to those who like to mess with exhaust) it can be a little strenuous... you generally have to be very alert in these cars. harsh suspension/lowered cars, you will always be on the look out for potholes/humps, wince on ramps praying the skirt/bumper/exhaust does not scrape.. yeah i think you get my drift:driver:

alot of these performance cars dont do well in heavy start stop traffic.
Which engine are you using for the FTO? I know there are a few types of 6A12 for FTO. Your car is hard to be insured but if so, how did those 1970s old school fellas managed it? Those cars like Datsun 510, S30 Fairlady Z, TA22 Celica...

I agree with you about the difficulties in driving performance cars daily. FC is already not that good plus if stuck at traffic jam, FC going to be much worse. Don't forget for those who put in extreme or semi slick tyres on their cars, threadwear is low as well. Going to change tyres more often than you think....

Me drive daily ori turbo cars for dont know donkey years already.. (got a bit touch up:nurse:)..
if Auto, no issue.. manual with triple plated clutch, you try 1st then you will know especially in city where stuck in heavy traffic... try and see..:nurse::nurse::rofl::rofl: like driving a 20 years 10 ton Hino lorry feelings
maintenance is around the same since the parts life span is better but need to use time to dig at chop shop...

somemore.. those with loud big size that make for bbq exhaust.. try to go outstation and see.. be prepare to standby a earplug coz if not, you will like just out from a propeller plane man....

I agreed that FC for big HP cars is better in long distance since I had tried a lot of time where it can be double or triple up your daily urban or town drive...

:listen::listen:funny things is the more you drive, the parts last longer... you put at your house longer, kong faster... lol...
Din't know your Kancil turbo is that crazily modded. Or you are saying your Perdana?

I did wonder before how those people with very loud exhaust endure long distance travelling with their car. Since you are just staying at a certain range of RPM throughout the journey... Just the same droning noise for a long time. Unlike in track or roads with a lot of corners where your RPM will go up and down...

If put at house drive once or twice a week, is not that bad what?

KenDiriwan

1,000 RPM
Mar 15, 2006
kendiriwan.multiply.com
Modded definitely for weekend. As much as i love car modification, i don't want to sacrifice the comfort and joy of ride for family and friend when using my daily car. I like fast cars does not define my family and friends has to be in the similar view as i do. So as a daily car, as long as it serves clean emission, reasonable fuel consumption, long distant-able with comfy, not loud exhaust note disturbing on-board social. That is well enough daily car. A minimal In Car Entertainment and cosmetic enhancement are reasonable.

Imagine a much effort modded car, you drove daily out there. I believe you risk higher chances of getting targeted by car theft, rare item ? Oh yes those asshole do know one when they see it. Am not saying a stock daily car would not be targeted but a modded car with endless effort being stolen will hurts way more. Custom/JDM bodyworks? Oh yes you tell me when involve in accident.

And if i were to go spirited driving, that car has to meet my certain expectation for performance and handling. This car i would not concern much for passenger feedback. Would not complain much about fuel consumption because there are things to sacrifice to achieve power. This is more towards a track day purposed vehicle with road legal specification.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear sifus,
any idea if i could DIY a timer for the air-cond fan to spin after i turn off the engine?
my idea was to cool down the engine/engine bay with just only the air-cond fan... means like after u turn off ur engine, of course la the engine compartment will be hot, so if there's such thing as a timer to make ur fan to spin and blow air into ur engine compartment to cool down ur system? :)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience