Grinding sound when shifting gears (manual) 4G92

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
hi all

Try to figure out what might causes this problem. I have change the clutch (around 60,000 km ago), and recently drain the clutch fluid (its quite dirty too before). The most difficult gear is reverse, need few times trial before really engage. Other gears (1, 2 & 3) grinding sound happened when I push/pull the gear knob quickly. 4 & 5 are OK so far.

Im thinking about changing the clutch pumps, there are 2 pumps top and bottom. What else can be the cause? Maybe someone here had the same problem before. :hmmmm:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
hi all

Try to figure out what might causes this problem. I have change the clutch (around 60,000 km ago), and recently drain the clutch fluid (its quite dirty too before). The most difficult gear is reverse, need few times trial before really engage. Other gears (1, 2 & 3) grinding sound happened when I push/pull the gear knob quickly. 4 & 5 are OK so far.

Im thinking about changing the clutch pumps, there are 2 pumps top and bottom. What else can be the cause? Maybe someone here had the same problem before. :hmmmm:
Before you flush the clutch fluid, did you have those problems?

fullslick

Known Member
Jun 25, 2009
it happened before to me. Yes, it was due to wear and tear of synchromatch. (copper component in gearbox).. for vtec it is around 4-6 hundred each...

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
it happened before to me. Yes, it was due to wear and tear of synchromatch. (copper component in gearbox).. for vtec it is around 4-6 hundred each...
How many you changed before? I guess should be around the same number for mine

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Yea, i did the flush as my first attempt to try to solve the problem
If the problem was already there before flush then mostly likely synchromesh problem.
Top and bottom pump if got no leak they are still in good condition.
You can try changing the gear oil and/or add some additive and see how it works.
Gear Oil some say Redline Shock proof can help.
For me I tried Lubegard Manual transmission additive to my manual hyundai. It help a little on my 2nd gear grinding, not sure will help yours as you got so many gears grinding, but can try.....:driver:

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
If the problem was already there before flush then mostly likely synchromesh problem.
Top and bottom pump if got no leak they are still in good condition.
You can try changing the gear oil and/or add some additive and see how it works.
Gear Oil some say Redline Shock proof can help.
For me I tried Lubegard Manual transmission additive to my manual hyundai. It help a little on my 2nd gear grinding, not sure will help yours as you got so many gears grinding, but can try.....:driver:
Currently using Redline now, before this just use cheap Pennzoil for the gearbox oil. But, the oil is due already (more than 20k already). I haven't use any additive yet. OK, will give it a try. How much the addtive, and how much do I need?

But, just wondering, synchromesh problem already, using additive will stop the problem, or just temporarily slow the effect of problem only?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Currently using Redline now, before this just use cheap Pennzoil for the gearbox oil. But, the oil is due already (more than 20k already). I haven't use any additive yet. OK, will give it a try. How much the addtive, and how much do I need?

But, just wondering, synchromesh problem already, using additive will stop the problem, or just temporarily slow the effect of problem only?
If synchro wear a lot already, may not help. Additive usually help prevent rather than cure, but sometimes help. Mine could be mild, only 2nd gear when change gear at higher rpm, now quiet down a bit, so depends on the extend of damage.
Lubegard MT I bought around RM55, other places is around 75 if not mistaken

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
If synchro wear a lot already, may not help. Additive usually help prevent rather than cure, but sometimes help. Mine could be mild, only 2nd gear when change gear at higher rpm, now quiet down a bit, so depends on the extend of damage.
Lubegard MT I bought around RM55, other places is around 75 if not mistaken
If I already used branded gear oil like Redline, should I still need to add additives? I think good gear oil like Redline already good enough, unless if Im using cheaper oil like Pennzoil etc.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
If I already used branded gear oil like Redline, should I still need to add additives? I think good gear oil like Redline already good enough, unless if Im using cheaper oil like Pennzoil etc.
No need add additive but when was the gear oil last changed?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
if normal gl5 redline is similar to other common oil...

BUT if redline shockproof lightweight....this is the best manual gear oil so far especially for problematic gearbox...

jebatdex

Known Member
Jun 19, 2011
Skudai, Johor
if normal gl5 redline is similar to other common oil...

BUT if redline shockproof lightweight....this is the best manual gear oil so far especially for problematic gearbox...
I dont remember which Redline oil I use, I think maybe that shockproof lightweight. It costs me RM60 per bottle (1L), so I used 2 bottles for my car.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda's all new City arrives Malaysia with fresh 121ps 1.5L DOHC I-VTEC engines, including the hero car, a world's first, twin electric motor hybrid City e:HEV RS as one of the 4 variants offered.

City RS e:HEV : 108ps / 253nm / twin electric motor / 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / E-CVT / Honda Sensing / RS bodykit / Price: TBA

City S / E / V Models: 121ps / 145nm / 1.5L 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / CVT / Prices: V...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience