Need some info about brake pads

Gongchia

Known Member
Sep 6, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
i am driving New Toyota Vios NCP93. i had changed my Disc Rotors before for performance purpose. i thought the ori brake hose and brake fluid will handle my brake good but i am wrong. so, i plan to change my brake hose, brakes pad and using dot.5 brake fluid. but seem like this Performance Rotors reduce the brakes pad life quite a lot because of performance purpose. So, can you guys give me some Info, currently i am using advics brake pads. i plan to try the EBC GreenStuff Brake Pad from UK next time but this brake pad is slightly expensive (because of my rotors will reduce the brake pad life). i have heard something about bendix metal king. some people ask me to try it. but i don't no whether bandix is good or? or what else brand is good for performance (Street Used) Not in track.

Thanks for your advice:driver:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
first... use dot5.1 fluid... not dot5... dot 5.1 is a better fluid

brake pads... bendix metal king is good... but it will eat ur rotor... would recommend rapid stop brake pads for a start: rapidstopbrakepads.com theres a pricelist so u can refer.

steel braided brake hose oso a good thing.

Gongchia

Known Member
Sep 6, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Hi, Thanks for your info. opps sorry, usually i just mentioned dot.3, 4, or 5 than the workshop workers will understand..xD. Okay, how about EBC Brake Pads?? is RapidBrake good enough for performance??:confused::driver:

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
rapidstop 550c is good enough for street use... useless in track... the 800c supposed to be pretty good in track... i using the 550c and its pretty decent for street.

EBC i never used before... and ive only heard about yellow stuff and that oso in regards to track use.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Careful.

DOT5 is not compatible with our DOT3/4/5.1 brake oil. They are very different and DOT5 will hurt your brake system if you use it on a car that's not meant to use it. Use DOT5.1 and 5.1 only if you want high temp good stuff brake oil. Usually can get from Ferodo, EBC, and all those big names.

I personally like Ferodo zero and Improve platinum. Bendix Titanium Metal King is awesome too but aisay.. damn a lot of dust and noise.

Btw, I'm curious to know how you determined the standard brake hose and pads was not enough for you? Also, do you know whats the difference between a steel braided hose and a normal rubber hose and why people change them?

If you have shitloads of money that you just want to spend on your car - great! Go ahead.

If you don't, then I hope you try to learn a bit about what you plan on blowing your money on and not blindly do it just because someone said it's good.

nyantong

Known Member
Jul 26, 2008
first... use dot5.1 fluid... not dot5... dot 5.1 is a better fluid

brake pads... bendix metal king is good... but it will eat ur rotor... would recommend rapid stop brake pads for a start: rapidstopbrakepads.com theres a pricelist so u can refer.

steel braided brake hose oso a good thing.
DOT 5.1 is not a better fluid than DOT 5. DOT 5.1 is basically an upgraded DOT 4 brake fluid. So its still safe to use on vehicles with DOT 4 requirements. DOT 5 cannot be used on DOT 4 brake systems

Unsacred8002

Known Member
Sep 24, 2012
Cat City
What i done on my car is:

1. Flush all the old DOT3 and replace it with DOT4.
2. Change to steel braided brake hose.
3. Change the pads to Dons brakepad.

Rest is still stock. EG9 brake servo, EG9 rotor and caliper.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
DOT 5.1 is not a better fluid than DOT 5. DOT 5.1 is basically an upgraded DOT 4 brake fluid. So its still safe to use on vehicles with DOT 4 requirements. DOT 5 cannot be used on DOT 4 brake systems
Dot 5 brake fluid is silicone base fluid that is why not compatible with Dot 3, 4 and 5.1 which are polyethylene glycol based fluid.
To use Dot 5, seems will damaged the rubber seals etc.

Better in what sense? If higher boiling point then yes, Dot 5.1 have 10 degree Celsius higher boiling point over then Dot 5 brake fluid.

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:50 PM ----------

I have used Bendix Metal King Plus, Metal King Gold and Metal King Titanium before, and now on Trestor Blue Advantage.
Well, the Trestor is so much better from initial bite from cold to hot. Only the dust is twice as much, but then something got to give for better performance....:driver:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Trestor Blue Advantage for the win! Cheap, cheerful, readily available and hardly any braking issues with this pad. Not for competitive use though.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Trestor Blue Advantage for the win! Cheap, cheerful, readily available and hardly any braking issues with this pad. Not for competitive use though.
Izso also kena poisoned by me already......hhahahhahahhaha:biggrin:

But it is good, so far most of the gang using also no issues except bro. SC go and buy wrong model.....lol:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

My friend car have been stolen at a workshopl @ kamunting....

No. Plate : PAX 4958

Owner Name : Adib

No H/P : 0173000953

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience