It's time to let it go......

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Airtrek's engine is the same as Evo with internals entirely different altogether. Smaller turbo, lower CC injectors, lower cams, smaller throttle body, less durable internals, softer valve springs, non-steel LSD etc etc.... so the 40 hp difference has a huge story behind.

On D, Airtrek will move, what I mean if I want the response to move ahead to close the gap from the car in front, it's slow and sluggish in terms of response.
This reminds me of the old Mitsubishi RVR which uses a weaker version of the 4G63T and also the Lancer Ralliart which uses a detuned version of 4B11T from Evo X. Initially I thought the hardware differences are minimal but I din't know that so many parts are actually different. Thought it was more of a ECU tuning that makes the output lower.

So, controlling the Airtrek on lower speed is difficult? Since if you press too little on the throttle, the car responded slowly but when you press more, the car moves faster than what you wanted.

If not mistaken, Trek engine is de-tuned Evo 7. As mentioned by Edward the bigger the turbo the more the lag because take more time to spool. The car is not under powered if you compare to another car but you feel it is because you will compare it with the boost on and off.....hhahhaha
AT is worst because after boost comes in power transferred to auto gb box need torque converter transfer the power to wheel. something like 2 times lag.....lol :rofl:
So, auto gearbox is the bottleneck for the 4G63T in Airtrek... Otherwise, the power could be utilized in a more efficient way. I guess that is why many manufacturers came up with semi auto or double clutch gearbox. To make an automated manual gearbox with clutch rather than sticking to torque converter due to the slow response and power sapping nature of torque converter auto box. But even with double clutch, I heard their response can be slow too in cases where the transmission software is not programmed properly.

Well defined....

Airtrek is actually powerful compared to other street cars. But if compared to the performance league, it is entry level. That is why many of us just want to squeeze more out of it as we know it's easy. With almost infinite mods from Evo, you can't resist it... hehehe...

0-100 in 5.9 secs on D mode with a chassis weight of 1600kgs++, I won't complain
5.9 seconds is very fast. If I am not mistaken, it is even faster than stock FD2R.

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
This reminds me of the old Mitsubishi RVR which uses a weaker version of the 4G63T and also the Lancer Ralliart which uses a detuned version of 4B11T from Evo X. Initially I thought the hardware differences are minimal but I din't know that so many parts are actually different. Thought it was more of a ECU tuning that makes the output lower.
Many VRC members after married have family many changed to RVR, but some cannot tahan put in 4G63T engine....lol

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Yup, 5.9 secs is faster than stock FD2R.

If my engine setup is mated with manual tranny, I am sure it will be lot faster and fun to drive.

Well it's history now...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Many VRC members after married have family many changed to RVR, but some cannot tahan put in 4G63T engine....lol
Racing MPV. :biggrin:

Yup, 5.9 secs is faster than stock FD2R.

If my engine setup is mated with manual tranny, I am sure it will be lot faster and fun to drive.

Well it's history now...
Is there any stock Airtrek turbo that comes with manual gearbox? Or they only come in auto?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Is there any stock Airtrek turbo that comes with manual gearbox? Or they only come in auto?
Yes but it's Outlander in EU market. However it has only 200hp even though it's turbo. Same chassis, same engine but different frontal and rear (Outlander) with Air scoop.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yes but it's Outlander in EU market. However it has only 200hp even though it's turbo. Same chassis, same engine but different frontal and rear (Outlander) with Air scoop.

Heard before about Outlander but never seen it before here.

So, for those Malaysian Airtrek that wants to convert to manual, they need to get parts from Outlander?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Heard before about Outlander but never seen it before here.

So, for those Malaysian Airtrek that wants to convert to manual, they need to get parts from Outlander?
There is Outlander in Malaysia but the non-turbo 2.4L Mivec automatic version which was produced in 2005-2006. It was more rare than Airtrek.

Most Airtrek owners that converted to manual use Evo gearbox rather than seeking for Outlander's. I think it is almost impossible to find here. However, I've seen a member here using RVR gearbox for his Airtrek.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
There is Outlander in Malaysia but the non-turbo 2.4L Mivec automatic version which was produced in 2005-2006. It was more rare than Airtrek.

Most Airtrek owners that converted to manual use Evo gearbox rather than seeking for Outlander's. I think it is almost impossible to find here. However, I've seen a member here using RVR gearbox for his Airtrek.
One year of production? I guess that makes it very rare.

Mechanical parts maybe can source from Evo but how about the interior parts that is exclusive to Airtrek? Like the gear console?

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Airtrek owner simply use the center gear console from Evo. However the gear stick will sit lower than Airtrek's original higher seat. So most of them will just install Evo Recaros into their treks....

stutzedward

3,000 RPM
May 27, 2009
KL
Parted with my Airtrek for 2 months and 5 days now. Honestly, I don't really miss it much. However my wife misses the 'power' to overtake cars. Since I parted with my Airtrek, I noticed that it's getting lesser and lesser on the road. Where did all of them go to? Gone out of KL to other states? Hmm.. :)

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Parted with my Airtrek for 2 months and 5 days now. Honestly, I don't really miss it much. However my wife misses the 'power' to overtake cars. Since I parted with my Airtrek, I noticed that it's getting lesser and lesser on the road. Where did all of them go to? Gone out of KL to other states? Hmm.. :)
Somehow for me, I started to notice more Airtrek lately. Last week inside my university, saw an Airtrek turbo driven by student.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

INSIDE MY CAR HAVE
1)IMMOBILISER
2)STOPLOCK
3)ANTIHIJACK
4)VIPER ALARM 2 WAY VIBRATION AND SOUND
5)BONNET LOCK (SPECIAL KEY)
6)INFRARED DETECTOR (HEATDETECTOR)
7)WINDSCREEN SENSOR (ALL GLASS)
8)SPECIAL TINTED(TAKE TIME TO BREAK THE GLASS)
9)NS70 35 R BATTERY.REALLY BIG
10)CCTV IN MY GARAGE
11)GSM DETECTED
BATTERY IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE ALL THAT IS RIGHT.
NORMAL BATTERY ONLY CAN STAY 1 DAY
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience