Getting a 2nd hand Mazda RX-7 1996

Sep 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hello fellow petrol heads and car sifus,

What is your opinion on getting a 2nd hand Mazda Rx-7 FD 3S 1996? Potential problems? Its run about 90 000km. How much would it cost to get her up and running in shape? A rough repair and modding budget?

Thanks in advance guys, appreaciate the all the advice I can get! :smile:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
bro, i suggest u do alot of study about this car before getting one, this RX7 is not for the average joe kinda person,
only for rotary enthusiasts, even i liked the car so much but i dont know much about rotary engines.

if not u will ended up selling the car after a year.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
After buying Neo, now buy RX-7. :top:
But ya is not a cheap car to maintain. U got to understand the car before getting it.

ahfox

Dec 16, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
buy it first,n then u know,get it while u still young before its to late,its ok to make a mistake buying a car then u learn,,keh3,,dont listen to other that not even had driven or be inside that car

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
buy it first,n then u know,get it while u still young before its to late,its ok to make a mistake buying a car then u learn,,keh3,,dont listen to other that not even had driven or be inside that car
Since you said it like you have driven one before or just driven or own one, why not you give your professional advice to TS on how to maintain a RX-7?

So, actually dont listen to those who havent driven, get in one or doesn't own a RX-7 actually applies to you as well if you dont actually own one.

Driven or get a ride on one before doesn't mean you know the car well or even know how to maintain it.

Well, I don't know. If you own one, by all means share your experience to TS then. :smokin:

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
do u own a rx7 fc or fd? or u just sit in it?
As he mentioned, don't listen to those who have not driven or sit in one before. Didnt say anything about owning one.

Anyway, I'm confused whereby someone could actually know the inside out of
RX-7 and how to maintain it by just "Driven" one or "Sit"
in one before. :hmmmm2:

DanzEterna

Nov 1, 2007
PJ
www.primeperdanaclub.com
As he mentioned, don't listen to those who have not driven or sit in one before. Didnt say anything about owning one.

Anyway, I'm confused whereby someone could actually know the inside out of
RX-7 and how to maintain it by just "Driven" one or "Sit"
in one before. :hmmmm2:
the fella meant like he owns one wor.....:thefinger: or diecast maybe?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Getting a FD3S is like dating Miley Cyrus. She'll break your ball. Not everybody can live with it.

Kira X

Jun 21, 2009
Hello,fellas....
Just gif a short ideas for this beauty rx-7.....
1)Very high fuel comsumption rotary engine.
2)Apex seal (....aka piston ring coz no piston for this engine.only rotor....)will worn at low mileage (depends how u wack that sofiscated
engine)
3)Only for weekend car.U still can use daily if u really afford to buy its drinks & food.
4)Its an old car.do not expect spare parts is cheap especially apex seal.It will cost a fortune to get a set of heavy duty seal.Amemiya at
jaapn now coming out a set of carbon ceramic apex seal.you can check on reamemiya.co.jp.
5)Bear on mind maybe some spare parts is harder to get in this century.

You can check on youtube video to more understand about rotary engine.After you see,you will definately know why this engine is so powerful but not reliable.

mADmAN

Aug 5, 2004
if u want a rear wheel drive car and are concerned about running/maintenance costs as well as problems...

look into the Mazda MX-5 instead... its the best selling sports car in the world for a reason.

the Toyota MR-S is also a pretty good platform with it's mid-ship RWD platform combined with a lightweight chassis.

if ur willing to go older.. Toyota Cefiro A31 with RB or SR series turbo engine would be bang for buck. uses the same chassis as the R32 skyline so almost everything is plug n play....u get the convenience of a 4 door sedan with the fun of a RWD.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
the fella meant like he owns one wor.....:thefinger: or diecast maybe?
If that's the case, I own a Ford Mustang at home, Renault Megane RS Cup, RX-7, Supra and etcs. Dare not sit, afraid I might brake it :thefinger: :rofl:

if u want a rear wheel drive car and are concerned about running/maintenance costs as well as problems...

look into the Mazda MX-5 instead... its the best selling sports car in the world for a reason.

the Toyota MR-S is also a pretty good platform with it's mid-ship RWD platform combined with a lightweight chassis.

if ur willing to go older.. Toyota Cefiro A31 with RB or SR series turbo engine would be bang for buck. uses the same chassis as the R32 skyline so almost everything is plug n play....u get the convenience of a 4 door sedan with the fun of a RWD.
Mazda MX-5 is indeed a nice car. Since is newer, much easier to source for parts.

Clutch_Shift_Accelerate

Known Member
Sep 8, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
After buying Neo, now buy RX-7.
But ya is not a cheap car to maintain. U got to understand the car before getting it.
Haven't bought anything yet thankfully. Just checking out options & experienced reviews on the car. Aiming for a 2 seater RWD car. RWD would be the priority though. Really having a tough time looking for one. Sorry if i'm giving of bad vibes mate.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Haven't bought anything yet thankfully. Just checking out options & experienced reviews on the car. Aiming for a 2 seater RWD car. Though really having a though time looking for one. Sorry if i'm giving of bad vibes mate.
No bro, u r not giving any bad vibes. I just thought u bought the neo already then aim for a weekend car such as RX-7 now. Happy choosing one though. RX-8 is also not a good idea. Unless one can really afford it.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hey guys,

Yesterday when I was searching at Google for the fastest Kancil ever, I saw a person named Jee or something like that said in a forum (btw it is an old forum as it was posted on 2006) NSDrag kancil participate in class A Sepang Drag Battle and it got 2nd place as it lose to a Cefiro. He continued that its 400m time was 10.5 seconds. If I am not mistaken actually the fastest kancil is 12s right? Can anyone tell me whether this is true or not?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience