Weird substance inside radiator

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I noticed that my radiator is always filled with these dirt substances which looked like dried skin or scale sometimes. I wonder what these things are and is it a sign of something bad happening inside the block? Are these things rust particles inside the block?

I got my radiator flushed 2 weeks ago due to clogging which I assume is because of these things.

Attachments

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
i dont actually know what that substance is but I too had this crap some time after flushing my radiator... I thought it was oil and i was screwed with a head gasket leak or something and have since then monitored my fluids with utmost paranoia. I dont think it ever came back again in my case.

just clean it up (unless you want to send it in for analysis or something) and monitor your fluids and temps for a while...

**wait i just read.... always?? if its oil.....

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I think need to flush again. If clogged before should flush a few times before adding coolant

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
just wondering~~ any of you get crusty white chalky stuff by the top (sometimes on the cap as well)?? note that.... pretty sure it ran on tap water for a while, could it just be the impurities?

also after starting the car (radiator cap off) i see some small bubbles for the first 10 secs, after that no more dah.... the bubbles have been worrying me for a while but i ignored this cause the bubbles dont constantly appear..

Last edited:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Looks like coolant sludge.
Previously before I put coolant, these things are there too.

i dont actually know what that substance is but I too had this crap some time after flushing my radiator... I thought it was oil and i was screwed with a head gasket leak or something and have since then monitored my fluids with utmost paranoia. I dont think it ever came back again in my case.

just clean it up (unless you want to send it in for analysis or something) and monitor your fluids and temps for a while...

**wait i just read.... always?? if its oil.....
It is always there. Apparently it only shows itself when I left the engine not started for quite some time like maybe a day or two. If lets say after a drive and I opened the cap, these substances are lesser and they don't form into 'skin' or 'scale'.

Not losing water and not clogging also so temp still stable.
Things din't look too good today. Drove like 40km just now and temperature was not at its usual level. Somehow I feel like something is not right inside my block and water jacket areas. Temperature looked like this instead of being around 40-45% like how it normally is.

[/url]

Attachments

Last edited:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
im quite sure you already checked.. but reservoir not empty kan?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Your car bought from new or used? If used maybe previous owner put some bad coolant or additives there hence got sludge like that.

You need to reflush again until really clean leh, better even service the radiator all together, then no more dirt and temp should be back to normal. If you open your thermostat, does it also have similar dirt like that?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
im quite sure you already checked.. but reservoir not empty kan?
Not empty. Coolant level still quite full. Fan is working too. No leaks. Water pump can be considered as new as I've got it changed earlier this year.

Your car bought from new or used? If used maybe previous owner put some bad coolant or additives there hence got sludge like that.

You need to reflush again until really clean leh, better even service the radiator all together, then no more dirt and temp should be back to normal. If you open your thermostat, does it also have similar dirt like that?
New since 1999. I've been driving it for exactly 3 years since November 2013. Previously the water inside was not very clean. Just looked brownish and dusty but it was just water only. These weird substances is not there until recently like less than half a year ago.

Maybe should do a reflush on the engine itself too. The reflush I did was just on the radiator itself. Din't clean the engine as my mechanic say it will take some time and won't be very cheap. Told me to flush the radiator first and see how it goes.

Din't check the thermostat.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
New since 1999. I've been driving it for exactly 3 years since November 2013. Previously the water inside was not very clean. Just looked brownish and dusty but it was just water only. These weird substances is not there until recently like less than half a year ago.

Maybe should do a reflush on the engine itself too. The reflush I did was just on the radiator itself. Din't clean the engine as my mechanic say it will take some time and won't be very cheap. Told me to flush the radiator first and see how it goes.

Din't check the thermostat.
Hmm Ic, weird then. Did you do anything different around half a year ago then to the water/coolant?

The whole cooling system flush can DIY, quite easy actually. I did that a few times before for my Lancers & Galant back then, using some coolant flush agent and constant flow of water.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Hmm Ic, weird then. Did you do anything different around half a year ago then to the water/coolant?

The whole cooling system flush can DIY, quite easy actually. I did that a few times before for my Lancers & Galant back then, using some coolant flush agent and constant flow of water.
Nope. Just checking water level and sometimes adding in pipe water. But those are not rust residue? Last week, I actually found one of these stuff shaped like a small rock. When I try to rub it with fingers, it feels dusty and crumbles a bit.

DIY like this?

http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=387409

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear Sifus,

Need your advice on the matter above. Recently when I shift the mmt gearbox to D the light was ok then a few seconds later the D light is blinking. What is the reason? After that I pull over at the road shoulder and engagse to N but the D light is still blinking.

Also, when I try to engage the E and S mode the selector indicator is not shown at the panel cluster.

I never experience this before.Please help... :banghead:
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience