The gradual death of 4G1x? "Hell no!" says fstrader

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Erm... it WAS manual. I did a gb swap last year. I only got to enjoy the manual for a year!

Let me revive this thread again mwahaha.

Bro iszo, I've been reading your past threads and well, I salute your stand on engine transplanting. I've an auto WiSE myself, been using it for 4 years now, and I think it's time I step up the performance of my car.

The devils of transplant whispered in my ears all the time to get a 4G92 MIVEC, it gives me daydreams thinking about it, but I think I would want to stick with my 4G15 at the moment, knowing that the engine is still working good, albeit few minor problems which cause the engine to die off. Gives me headache with that one.

I want to know how much of a gain can I get and how better would my ride improve after changing to a manual GB and perhaps, getting a stroker kit and changing my exhaust system?

Notoriez

Mar 27, 2006

Bro iszo, I've been reading your past threads and well, I salute your stand on engine transplanting. I've an auto WiSE myself, been using it for 4 years now, and I think it's time I step up the performance of my car.

The devils of transplant whispered in my ears all the time to get a 4G92 MIVEC, it gives me daydreams thinking about it, but I think I would want to stick with my 4G15 at the moment, knowing that the engine is still working good, albeit few minor problems which cause the engine to die off. Gives me headache with that one.

I want to know how much of a gain can I get and how better would my ride improve after changing to a manual GB and perhaps, getting a stroker kit and changing my exhaust system?
Fastest way normally to enjoy better power is by performing engine swap. 4G92 SOHC full engine + wiring should be around 2.5-3.5k nowadays excluding workmanship fees. Around 300-600 maybe? You could use MT from 4G1 engine btw so no need to spend much...

Saw someone selling their manual GB for RM500 at 4G1series FB group. If let's say you decided to keep the 4G1 engine, stroker kit alone is 1.5k (maybe can get around 900-1.2k if you look hard enough), labour fee also around 300-600. Also have to include the cost to replace all the worn bearings, gaskets and etc....if you ask me, go for piggyback or better standalone then you can extract the max from your engine. Mandrel bend piping can go to Jian Hang and that should cost around 400-600.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Thank you for the support :biggrin:

Why do you mod? If you mod so you can race your friends then don't bother modding the 4G15 cuz you'll never win against a transplanted engine. Maybe keep up only.

If you mod for personal satisfaction then ask yourself - what is it that you want? Do you want all out power or minimal hassle or what exactly?

For me, I wanted efficiency and less hassle (I hate puspakom and jpj and all that. Time wasting if you ask me) and it just so happened the side effect of modding for efficiency was power. Not crazy power but enough to make me happy. On wheel I had something like 100 to 114bhp at one point of time and after mucking up here and there I ended up with 90+ with a manual.. yes it was weaker with a manual. I think I messed up the modding somewhere inbetween.

If $ is important as well, then considering transplanting. Cuz I spent close to 9k on my 4G15 and any other 4G engine could easily deliver more power (not torque though. I had considerable torque) and even in stock form, the Mivec engine you talked about is pretty potent. Buy a used engine, endorse it, spend on refurbishing it, and it might not even be near 8k.

So all in all it depends on what it is you want.

I changed to manual because I got sick of the auto. Manual was more interesting for me and driving was more entertaining. I didn't get too bothered by jams because my clutch was light and I don't have a problem balancing the clutch.

So to advise you - I'd ask what it is you want from your WiSE?

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Fastest way normally to enjoy better power is by performing engine swap. 4G92 SOHC full engine + wiring should be around 2.5-3.5k nowadays excluding workmanship fees. Around 300-600 maybe? You could use MT from 4G1 engine btw so no need to spend much...

Saw someone selling their manual GB for RM500 at 4G1series FB group. If let's say you decided to keep the 4G1 engine, stroker kit alone is 1.5k (maybe can get around 900-1.2k if you look hard enough), labour fee also around 300-600. Also have to include the cost to replace all the worn bearings, gaskets and etc....if you ask me, go for piggyback or better standalone then you can extract the max from your engine. Mandrel bend piping can go to Jian Hang and that should cost around 400-600.
Thanks for the input Notoriez. Before this the most that I plan for my car was to change the GB to a manual one, I even had a deal with a guy in ZTH also to swap GBs, but somehow he kept delaying and went mia in the end. I was like waah can save a lot here with swapping GBs instead of buying one. Now that I think about it again, if I change my GB only, then I might be poised to enhance the performance more here and there, so I've to calculate costs for those, including the wear and tear parts u mentioned.

I still like my engine, though it gives me this unsolvable problem at times. So it's sort of a dilemma whether to stick to it or change

Thank you for the support :biggrin:

Why do you mod? If you mod so you can race your friends then don't bother modding the 4G15 cuz you'll never win against a transplanted engine. Maybe keep up only.

If you mod for personal satisfaction then ask yourself - what is it that you want? Do you want all out power or minimal hassle or what exactly?

For me, I wanted efficiency and less hassle (I hate puspakom and jpj and all that. Time wasting if you ask me) and it just so happened the side effect of modding for efficiency was power. Not crazy power but enough to make me happy. On wheel I had something like 100 to 114bhp at one point of time and after mucking up here and there I ended up with 90+ with a manual.. yes it was weaker with a manual. I think I messed up the modding somewhere inbetween.

If $ is important as well, then considering transplanting. Cuz I spent close to 9k on my 4G15 and any other 4G engine could easily deliver more power (not torque though. I had considerable torque) and even in stock form, the Mivec engine you talked about is pretty potent. Buy a used engine, endorse it, spend on refurbishing it, and it might not even be near 8k.

So all in all it depends on what it is you want.

I changed to manual because I got sick of the auto. Manual was more interesting for me and driving was more entertaining. I didn't get too bothered by jams because my clutch was light and I don't have a problem balancing the clutch.

So to advise you - I'd ask what it is you want from your WiSE?
I want to mod not because I want to race, I just want my car to be a tad more powerful and more fun to drive. Not saying auto GB is meh, the 3speed works great when I push it to the limit (plus noise cancelling effect when cruising 140km/h or above on highways :lol: )
For now I prefer a powerful engine enough for my daily driving and maybe some adrenaline rush moments when I feel like it. And I always prefer a manual over an auto. Comfort comes after that when I'm done improving the performance of the car.

When I read on how you improved your 4G15, I thought hmm maybe I can still save this engine and improve it. But then seeing how much you spend on it I am more siding towards the MIVEC transplant. Some people tell me to go straight to 4G93, but then I have that a bit of principle where 4G93 was meant for a C99 and I like to keep my mods to where the limit of engine displacement (on paper) my chassis is designed to take. (Road tax also mahal haha).

I'll take it that MIVEC is a DOHC, so it has that 4G93 similarities but still retains the displacement somewhat similar to an original 1.6 Wira.

Cost wise, I'm willing to spend as long as satisfaction is guaranteed.

So yeah, increase of performance, greater driving experience and perhaps getting the DIY experience of refurbishing the engine while doing transplant would be what I want.

Long live the WiSE series

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Thanks for the input Notoriez. Before this the most that I plan for my car was to change the GB to a manual one, I even had a deal with a guy in ZTH also to swap GBs, but somehow he kept delaying and went mia in the end. I was like waah can save a lot here with swapping GBs instead of buying one. Now that I think about it again, if I change my GB only, then I might be poised to enhance the performance more here and there, so I've to calculate costs for those, including the wear and tear parts u mentioned.

I still like my engine, though it gives me this unsolvable problem at times. So it's sort of a dilemma whether to stick to it or change

I want to mod not because I want to race, I just want my car to be a tad more powerful and more fun to drive. Not saying auto GB is meh, the 3speed works great when I push it to the limit (plus noise cancelling effect when cruising 140km/h or above on highways :lol: )
For now I prefer a powerful engine enough for my daily driving and maybe some adrenaline rush moments when I feel like it. And I always prefer a manual over an auto. Comfort comes after that when I'm done improving the performance of the car.

When I read on how you improved your 4G15, I thought hmm maybe I can still save this engine and improve it. But then seeing how much you spend on it I am more siding towards the MIVEC transplant. Some people tell me to go straight to 4G93, but then I have that a bit of principle where 4G93 was meant for a C99 and I like to keep my mods to where the limit of engine displacement (on paper) my chassis is designed to take. (Road tax also mahal haha).

I'll take it that MIVEC is a DOHC, so it has that 4G93 similarities but still retains the displacement somewhat similar to an original 1.6 Wira.

So yeah, increase of performance, greater driving experience and perhaps getting the DIY experience of refurbishing the engine while doing transplant would be what I want.

these are my few cents
'a tad more powerful and more fun to drive'
-that 3 speed gearbox will have to go... this will help an immeasurable amount
**oops i just read you are thinking of doing it all at once*

'I like to keep my mods to where the limit of engine displacement (on paper)'
why? if you are worried about the strain on the chassis.... technically speaking the 4g92 mivec would put more strain on the chassis since its abit more powerful, so if you think the 4g93 is a bad idea, the 92 mivec is certainly a worse idea....

arsengal

Aug 3, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
The gradual death of 4G1x? "Hell no!" says fstrader

these are my few cents

'a tad more powerful and more fun to drive'

-that 3 speed gearbox will have to go... this will help an immeasurable amount

**oops i just read you are thinking of doing it all at once*

'I like to keep my mods to where the limit of engine displacement (on paper)'

why? if you are worried about the strain on the chassis.... technically speaking the 4g92 mivec would put more strain on the chassis since its abit more powerful, so if you think the 4g93 is a bad idea, the 92 mivec is certainly a worse idea....

Thanks for the input bro. The 3speed is really that big of a limiting factor right? lol

I just prefer 92 over the 93. It's not about chassis strain that I'm considering much. Even a 4g15 if you plonk in all the mods under the sun into the car would still strain the chassis right. Thanks too for that insight bro, appreciated it.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

my example is quite a bad one. I made a lot of miscalculations and ended up overspending if I'm honest. Let's talk about what you can do for that little bit more power :

1. PNP Head. On average cost if done by a good tuner RM1500 thereabouts. Branded fellas like Nastyportflow will cost a bit more, closer to RM2k.

2. Stroker kit - Brand new 4G18 Waja crank would be RM2.2k but halfcut you should be able to get RM800. Then new FLX 1.6 pistons at about RM120 a piece brand new.

3. Skim the head + valve seat job + valve grinding (if it's not already part of the PNP job), piston rings, misc gaskets and oil seals RM1k++

4. Workmanship RM500 thereabouts

All in it'll be about the same as a Mivec swap. And don't underestimate the 3-speed auto. It can take a helluva lot of punishment. And if driven properly with these mods (plus a few extra mods which I haven't mentioned) you can get 15km/L like I did last time. No JPJ hassle and completely stealth.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi everyone

many place write :
****** HotWires are the most technologically advanced ignition wires available.
HotWires create the most powerful spark possible. ...

and this things are selling nearly RM1000 (ONE THOUSAND)....
nearly the price of 5 (FIVE) sets of very expensive plug cables!!

but.. why it sold so expensive?

lets look at what it is :
it just like a simple plug wire
but with one capacitor inside.
(the extra wire is to conect to metal part to complete the capacitor...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience