Involuntarily volunteered experiment

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
sorry to dig this old topic,dun wanna opened a new topic.

u know sometimes there is a box or a hollow compartment inside air intake box.
i read in a renault forum that the box is to produce air swirl.is it true?

anyway,on the surbo or whatever air swirl thing,
i exp very minor change.engine is a bit more responsive at certain rpm only.
thats it.no powet gain,no fc improved.

K_Takuya

Moderate Moderator
Helmet Clan
Sep 1, 2005
Limau bali,Ipoh
Well.. if you somehow manage to swirl the air after the air filter..think about the 'butterfly' at the throttle body.

It would greatly disrupt the so called swirled air.

The best thing to do is try to make your air intake cold by using heat shield and draw air from outside the engine bay.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Actually I don't know or understand that box too. VR and Hyundai also have it. Just attached with a small hole in between. What to swirl as it is before the air filter, and I have more swirls from my VR turbine....hhahhaha:biggrin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I have seen the box on my blm,waja,even on my wife viva.
the wira,kenari does not have it.

could it be that its creating suction force.sort of like a super light pressure like having a turbine?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I have seen the box on my blm,waja,even on my wife viva.
the wira,kenari does not have it.

could it be that its creating suction force.sort of like a super light pressure like having a turbine?
Where is yours placed? If before air filter it cannot help in anything as far as I know.....:smokin:

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Where is yours placed? If before air filter it cannot help in anything as far as I know.....:smokin:
all are before the filter...
will try and serch whats the purpose.
cant sleep well not knowing the reason it was design

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

found it.
its called a resonator box.somehow air did flow in reverse and the small bix will allow the reversing air in the intake to occupy the box.
this will allow air flowing into the engine encounter less resistance.
this small box actually helps increases power by allowing better air intake flow.
it also helps reduces engine sound to comply to some regulations.

removing the box will probably produces stronger intake sound but at the expense of restrictive intake flow.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

I was gonna reply about the resonator box but it seems you found the info yourself.

And surbo is a restriction, it won't improve anything. It choked my car the last time I tried it and the powerloss was very obvious. It's kinda like you drinking from a straw. Jam a barley inside the straw and using the same amount of suction you'll notice less drink getting into your mouth. Same concept. Why anyone would want to add a restriction to their intake is beyond me.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
all are before the filter...
will try and serch whats the purpose.
cant sleep well not knowing the reason it was design

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

found it.
its called a resonator box.somehow air did flow in reverse and the small bix will allow the reversing air in the intake to occupy the box.
this will allow air flowing into the engine encounter less resistance.
this small box actually helps increases power by allowing better air intake flow.
it also helps reduces engine sound to comply to some regulations.

removing the box will probably produces stronger intake sound but at the expense of restrictive intake flow.
Thanks brother, but still cannot see the use as it is located outside of air filter, especially on the VR. If you say air flow then anywhere in the flow after air filter I can understand...:confused:
Need to be more technical already.....:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 08:16 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

I was gonna reply about the resonator box but it seems you found the info yourself.

And surbo is a restriction, it won't improve anything. It choked my car the last time I tried it and the powerloss was very obvious. It's kinda like you drinking from a straw. Jam a barley inside the straw and using the same amount of suction you'll notice less drink getting into your mouth. Same concept. Why anyone would want to add a restriction to their intake is beyond me.
I read back on your post and saw your picture. First thing came in mind why you block the air flow......hhahhahhahaha:rofl:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Honda's all new City arrives Malaysia with fresh 121ps 1.5L DOHC I-VTEC engines, including the hero car, a world's first, twin electric motor hybrid City e:HEV RS as one of the 4 variants offered.

City RS e:HEV : 108ps / 253nm / twin electric motor / 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / E-CVT / Honda Sensing / RS bodykit / Price: TBA

City S / E / V Models: 121ps / 145nm / 1.5L 4cyl DOHC I-VTEC / CVT / Prices: V...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience