JPJ Cracked Down on Tinted Glass

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Front page news on the STAR papers...another headache for all owners of imported Japanese cars......

PETALING JAYA: The kinks have been ironed out, new equipment has arrived and a minor adjustment in law is now in the works. Then, the Road Transport Department (JPJ) will go on a nationwide blitz against cars with heavily-tinted windscreens and windows.

The JPJ have acquired new light transmission measuring meters that can be used even at night.

However, they are awaiting a minor amendment to the law governing tinted windscreens before the crackdown.

“Once the amendment is done and endorsed by the Transport Minister, we will conduct the operations nationwide,” JPJ director-general Datuk Ahmad Mustapha Abdul Rashid told The Star.

He said the JPJ had bought 150 Autolight Plus meters from Melbourne-based Autotest Products Pte Ltd. They took delivery of the equipment, worth about RM1mil, from the Australian company last month.

Unlike the previous light transmission meters, the new device has its own light source that can calculate the light penetration level through tinted glass even at night.

“This means we can carry out the operations round-the-clock,” he said. He said the JPJ would come down hard on owners whose cars have heavily tinted windscreens and windows.

He said in the last four years, JPJ had scaled down such operations and there were many vehicles on the road with heavily tinted windscreens and windows.

“Heavily-tinted windscreens and windows can pose a hazard to other road-users, especially during rainy days or at night. Hopefully, these motorists will be wise enough to remove the heavy tint from their windscreens before we act against them,” Ahmad Mustapha said.

Under the Motor Vehicles (Prohibition of Certain Types of Glass) Rules 1991, the level of light penetration should be at least 70% in the front windscreen and 50% on the rear windscreen and side windows.

Car owners face a RM300 fine if the tint is too dark.

The rules can be relaxed on VIP vehicles and those with official exemptions, such as for safety or health reasons. To be eligible for an exemption, car owners need to obtain an official letter from JPJ.

Autotest Products export manager Paul King said their device, which had been in the market for the last two years, is used by the police forces, road transport regulators and garages in Australia, the South Pacific islands, United Arab Emirates, South Korea, Indonesia and Singapore.

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
By the way..anyway or anywhere we can get our tinted glass checked for the level of light penetration???

Bl@cK-TeZZ@

500 RPM
Apr 15, 2006
Are our cars that 'heavily tinted'?...i don't think so...

Greytezza

1,000 RPM
Feb 6, 2007
Truly Asia
Rinagi kena b4. I believe he posted on the forum somewhere and even told me that he kena "saman" by JPJ ..hehehe.
Kasi kita kepala sakit saja..everytime see a JPJ car..need to slow down ehh..Bl@[email protected].

Like that day in Sepang....hehehe

hansc

Known Member
Nov 14, 2003
KL/WP
Visit site
just open ur sunroof (if u have any).......else, get ready some coffee...... hahaha....

think later i drop by my friend's shop to play around with his tinting test machine.....

wfhan

4,000 RPM
Jan 9, 2004
selangor
tinted film or privacy glass, to JPJ is the same, no matter how u try to argue with them, u still on the loosing end.
how much does a pair of the altezza's rear clear glass costs?

WLA3366

Known Member
Jul 7, 2006
www.friendster.com
HE hehe...still have the drift feeling till now.

Anyway it is not a new issue... tell you guys one things. Even if you are not wrong, they will take you down if you "YeongSui". Some how is about luck and "chap sang la"

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
seriously, i don't see what diference can this do.. yes people might not be able to see well through their "HEAVYILY" tinted glasses but seriously, other than that... - -

anyway, i still don't see that our car glasses are heavily tinted. those heavily tinted ones are Estimas, some other expensive cars and some cars with super reflective tints. those are the ones they should go for. Not go for our cars which are not, again i stress on this word, "HEAVILY' tinted.. lol..

How can they do this seriously.. Coffee still works ah?? they got payrise you know.. Not fair lah to me they see your face.. like, "oi, ni orang sangat sui yong, I mau tangkap dia walaupn cermin their tak tinted.'

LOL. my 450 cents

WLA3366

Known Member
Jul 7, 2006
www.friendster.com
hey hey hey...

Not what I meant... sometimes when you kena cought then at the meant time you did not done it wrong. It is because of luck and "yeong sui". Sure kena for something one la...

Anyway fellow driver, our car interior is dark so in directly people from out side will see us very dark tinted glass. I kena before but after the officer check it with his reader; he let me go without any saman or etc...haha... must be leng chai.

Cheers
:shades_smile:

bushidofang

'(00) Lurker
Helmet Clan
Jun 1, 2006
Anywhere
haha yeahlah bro.. u very lengchai... *ahem ahem* haha.

im quite confident that we will pass the reader lah.. because, on a sunny day right, our glass will be a little reflective right? so they cant really see inside because of that.. on more thing is also because of our interior colour. so they cannot do anything to us. civilian rights.

DjAtB

Known Member
Dec 26, 2005
hehe...dont worry too much on this issue. I think the best way is get a small tiny plate (VIP status) on your car....u know what i mean here?. If you have this, those people wont stop your car but instead they 'tabik' to you. hahaha....anyone have this type of jalan to get that thing?....hehehe

WLA3366

Known Member
Jul 7, 2006
www.friendster.com
haha.. yoiu know what i thought... put the pokemon metal plate on the bumper. then cover it up with leather case...

Then everyone looking only... sure no block block
:retarded:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

6/1/06 - around 3am..

my fren satria rear window was smash.. dont take anything

7/1/06 - 7.30am..

my vafc has been stolen.. 4 man (malay) use 2 motorbike smash my pessenger window.. my car park outside my house.. thanks god they dont stole my brother in law audio player..

9/1/06 - afternoon..

my fren walkie talkie antenna was stolen..

10/1/06 - 2-3 am..

my neighbour cd player was stolen...

:baring_teeth: so resident in cheras area, pls beware..
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience