Perdana EVO 3 - Hard to start

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
hi,

hi having starting issue with my car (perdana evo 3) , the problem is every time i cold start the car , i have to crank few times before the engine fires up, but when i start while the engine is still warm , no issues, the battery, fuel pump & filter are quite new, im suspecting the fuel pump relay is the culprit , not supplying proper voltage to the fuel pump , i failed to locate the fuel pump relay , i have checked under the hood and driver side leg compartment, does anyone know the location of fuel pump relay in perdana and where to get one of those relays?

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
which fuel pump do you use?

had similar problem last time when using stock pv6 fuel pump. now fix after using aftermarket fuel pump + reg.

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
which fuel pump do you use?

had similar problem last time when using stock pv6 fuel pump. now fix after using aftermarket fuel pump + reg.
Using AVS 255lph fuel pump bro, installed last year, another thing even after repace the pump , after a long drive the car will become heavy, suspect the fuel pressure drop,because of the relay (becomes hot and cannot supply proper voltage) and I have never replace the relay until now,I'm trying to locate the relay but failed

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Using AVS 255lph fuel pump bro, installed last year, another thing even after repace the pump , after a long drive the car will become heavy, suspect the fuel pressure drop,because of the relay (becomes hot and cannot supply proper voltage) and I have never replace the relay until now,I'm trying to locate the relay but failed
ditch that avs fuel pump... seriously...

look for fuelpump that doesnt take their design from walbro....

i've used ori walbro too last time....

exactly the same problem....

when cold/warm on short drive fuel pressure is stable....

but after 1 hour long drive no matter highway cruising or stuck in traffic jam, i will loose close to 1 bar of fuel pressure compared to the actual pressure set after engine just warmed up......

lets say i set my regulator at 3.5 bar, after 1 hour road trip, it will becomes +-2.5 bar only....

now with different fuel pump///ahemmm 340lph pump..... i can drive nonstop (only refuel) no matter how long the drive is.... :driver: the fuel pressure was spot on from start to end of the drive...not even losing 0.1 bar of pressure...:driver::driver::driver:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
ditch that avs fuel pump... seriously...

look for fuelpump that doesnt take their design from walbro....

i've used ori walbro too last time....

exactly the same problem....

when cold/warm on short drive fuel pressure is stable....

but after 1 hour long drive no matter highway cruising or stuck in traffic jam, i will loose close to 1 bar of fuel pressure compared to the actual pressure set after engine just warmed up......

lets say i set my regulator at 3.5 bar, after 1 hour road trip, it will becomes +-2.5 bar only....

now with different fuel pump///ahemmm 340lph pump..... i can drive nonstop (only refuel) no matter how long the drive is.... :driver: the fuel pressure was spot on from start to end of the drive...not even losing 0.1 bar of pressure...:driver::driver::driver:
What fuel pump you use now bro

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
What fuel pump you use now bro
cheap aeromotive 340 stealth fuel pump now....

walbro is noisy and consuming a lot of electrical current due to design...pump is using metal rotor pretty much like engine oil pump rotor design...which is heavy and noisy...thats why walbro got whinning noisy sound...

while other modern design performance pump use stock like turbine type pump...like a fan or turbo fin....in result lightweight yet still giving good fuel flow for better performance....

and in long run, the turbine type design doesnt affected by temperature like metal rotor in walbro that will expand and loose clearance when hot...so when loose clearance, then fuel pressure also dropped and loose performance...

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur

walbro is noisy and consuming a lot of electrical current due to design...pump is using metal rotor pretty much like engine oil pump rotor design...which is heavy and noisy...thats why walbro got whinning noisy sound...

while other modern design performance pump use stock like turbine type pump...like a fan or turbo fin....in result lightweight yet still giving good fuel flow for better performance....

and in long run, the turbine type design doesnt affected by temperature like metal rotor in walbro that will expand and loose clearance when hot...so when loose clearance, then fuel pressure also dropped and loose performance...

Ok bro, good info. Thx

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
if yours is std evo3 engine, the std fuel pump should be sufficient,
try changing your fuel filter 1st.
Change fuel filter redi bro, I'm doing 306whp now, I need high pressure pump , but I changed the pump from walbro to AVS last year but the syptoms are still there,

1) have to crank twice to start the engine
2) once you drive long period the fuel pressure drop (e.g from 2.8 bar to 2.4 bar)

Last edited:

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
i try googled, read many point out to fuel pressure regulator.
Fuel regulator also recently changed to works fuel regulator bro, headache teruk in, I think I go and check the wiring and the voltage at the pump, if all ok , no choice have to change the regulator or the pump n c

NeuroOne

WFH
Sep 11, 2006
Putrajaya

is it silent-ish?
how cheap is it?

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i try googled, read many point out to fuel pressure regulator.
Change fuel filter redi bro, I'm doing 306whp now, I need high pressure pump , but I changed the pump from walbro to AVS last year but the syptoms are still there,

1) have to crank twice to start the engine
2) once you drive long period the fuel pressure drop (e.g from 2.8 bar to 2.4 bar)
Fuel regulator also recently changed to works fuel regulator bro, headache teruk in, I think I go and check the wiring and the voltage at the pump, if all ok , no choice have to change the regulator or the pump n c
hard to start usually is regulator problem....

but in my experience the real indicator of fuel pump problem is "loosing fuel pressure" on long run/driving...

since i've change the fuel pump with the turbine style pump...my fuel pressure have been pretty solid no matter how long the drive is...

the problem is common in gerotor type of fuel pump because of material which is metal and tight tolerance inside it....

especially with avs which is using same design as walbro...

is it silent-ish?
how cheap is it?
just look up in mudah.my....i would say its quite cheap because not ori....

if want ori pump probably still roughly around the same price as DW pump

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Maranello, Italy. 1st September 2018:

Ferrari, most people would know them as Formula 1 champions, and makers of expensive supercars.

View attachment 572014
Tomorrow is Monza, Ferrari’s own backyard. Kimi and Vettel 1-2 starting grid. Will they achieve a 1-2 finish?

The prancing horse is the epitome of performance automotive machines. Is it the best? The most advanced? The most exotic? Not necessarily. But when you mention supercars, the first make that come to people’s minds all...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience