Review: Goodyear Asymmetric 3 Tyres First Drive!

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur

On the first out lap, while exploring the big Audi on pre set braking zone comes, the rather good brakes immediately hinted it was going to be a great day ahead. It is Goodyear's latest and greatest Asymmetric 3 tyre launch event and they've prepared a handful of Audis for the new tyre test.

These are brand new, fresh from oven Goodyear Asymmetric 3 tyres and it was a good opportunity to see how they'd pan out over the 5 lap 2-ish km Sepang Circuit, South, in an Audi A5 Sportback. Passing subsequent corners, as I gradually turn up the pace, the Audi entertained further with its track day car spirit.

Back to the tyres. With braking points delayed to naughtier levels, now the talent of the Asymmetric 3 comes into play. The sensation of its firm sidewalls are obvious. I could sense the tyres working, but not hard, like it was a walk in the park, easily retaining structure at full braking. Every brake application felt reassuring and composed.

<iframe class="instagram-media instagram-media-rendered" id="instagram-embed-0" src="https://www.instagram.com/p/BT38AN8Dwz8/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=7#%7B%22ci%22%3A0%2C%22os%22%3A224.11%7D" allowtransparency="true" data-instgrm-payload-id="instagram-media-payload-0" scrolling="no" style="background: rgb(255, 255, 255) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); margin: 1px 1px 12px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% - 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: none; display: block; padding: 0px;" height="608" frameborder="0"></iframe> <script async="" defer="" src="//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js"></script>

High Speed Stability

Approaching the high speed T12 corner of Sepang, which is usually a guessing game especially at turn in turned out to be more intuitive than expected. At the point of turn in, the Asymmetric 3were rock solid and accurate, locking in to the intended apex and never washes out. With the tyres fully loaded mid corner, the big Audi remained well planted throughout. This is where inferior tyres will start to collapse, squeal and scrub, fighting for grip.

Even when approaching the limits of these Asymmetric 3s, there's a sense of leniency and buffer way before traction is lost. Again, signifying a well engineered tyre sidewall that is made to perform. That and other notable gimmicks mentioned on the Asymmetric 3 brochure.

Precise Steering

What's even more significant is the Asymmetric 3's highly precise steering, which is a proud feature of these new Goodyears. On the circuit, its steering precision and sharpness is in fact very pronounced.

Such as when negotiating the slowest T9 corner of Sepang. In the Audi, barrelling down the short straight at 140kmh, before braking hard for the uphill left, the Asymmetric 3 were just as capable at stopping and then transitioning to turn in, while still being able to maintain a precise steering. This really sets it apart from the UHP tyres of before.

Verdict

The Asymmetric 3 felt very plush and quiet throughout the 5 laps covered. Whether I'm trying to take on T12 at almost full throttle or when punting for an early exit out of T9, the tyres continue to perform and exude plenty of feedback.

At its limits, the Asymmetric 3s exhibited every qualm it had with mild, very gradual squirms. Sort of like moving from good zone on to danger zone, and this danger zone begins with its own good zone, if you know what I mean.

I love how the Asymmetric 3 posses an almost relentless braking ability with equally impressive steering talent, never before seen in civilian UHP Road tyres.

If you're looking at big performance and can't be bothered with the hassle of researching but want something down to earth in affordability, you really can't go wrong with Goodyear's latest Asymmetric 3 tyres.

Prices, Sizes and Official Goodyear Statement

Goodyear Introduces the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Tire For Exceptional Driving Experience

The latest addition to the successful Eagle product family: Goodyear’s premium offering for a growing luxury sport market

• The latest addition to the successful Eagle product family: Goodyear’s premium offering for a growing luxury sport market
  • Fitted as standard by a number of premium OEMs
  • 2.6-meter shorter braking distance on wet roads compared to average performance of 3 leading competitors[1] to help stay in control
  • 31% better tread wear performance compared to average performance of 3 competitors and 11.500 km extra mileage

Ben Hoge, Managing Director at Goodyear Malaysia Berhad, shared that the introduction of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is in line to meet the growing demands of the premium sport tire segment in Malaysia.

Goodyear has launched its latest premium tire, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, in Malaysia. This premium, luxury sport tire delivers a 31% better wear performance and shorter braking distance on dry & wet roads helping drivers to stay in control and to enjoy the journey. With proven Eagle family test wins and an OE track record, including the new Jaguar XF, it is Goodyear’s premium offering for excellent braking performance, responsive handling and control in both dry and wet conditions.

The premium sport segment is clearly a growth market[3], expected to increase with an compound annual growth rate of more than 6% from 2016 to 2020 in Asia Pacific. This is primarily driven by expected growth in China (5.9%), Australia (5.7%) and ASEAN countries (9%)[4] .

The new Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is packed with new technology [5]. The new Grip Booster Technology comprises a grip booster compound and adhesive resin for stickiness, which deliver strong grip for shorter braking and improved handling. The Active Braking Technology increases the contact surface and grip when braking, which allows for a shorter braking distance. The new reinforced construction technology delivers a stronger, lightweight construction improving handling, cornering performance, tread wear and fuel efficiency.

The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 has been tested by independent organization DEKRA[6] which resulted in a strong performance on tread wear compared to other premium tires on the market. In fact, the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is projected to offer up to 11,500 km extra mileage (or +31% better wear performance) versus the average of three leading competitors.

Additionally, the independent TÜV Süd Benchmark Test[7] ordered by Goodyear show that the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, compared to the average of three leading competitors, having a 2.6 metre shorter braking distance (9% better performance) on wet roads, a 1.3 metre shorter braking distance on dry roads (4% better performance) and 4% better wet handling. The same test results also show a 10.9% better rolling resistance compared to the average of the three tested competitors, which represents the second best rolling resistance performance of the tire brands tested[8].

“Malaysia’s tire market is forecasted to grow at a CAGR rate of ≈3% during 2016 – 2020[9], the replacement tire market accounted 80% market share in 2016[10] is anticipated to grow through 2020. With that, the introduction of the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tire is in line to meet the growing demands of the premium sport tire segment here in Malaysia, both in the OEM and consumer market.” said Ben Hoge, Managing Director of Goodyear Malaysia Berhad.

“Goodyear is known for its commitment to innovate and to offer superior performing products to its consumers. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 is designed to suit the needs of consumers in Malaysia, and tested to Goodyear’s highest standards to provide confidence that it will perform on the region’s roads.

It has also been accredited as original equipment for some of the world’s leading cars such as the Jaguar XF, Mercedes E-Class, the BMW 5 series, Alfa Romeo Guilia, Chevrolet Camaro and the Porsche Panamera. With its improved grip and braking technology, the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 demonstrates Goodyear’s brand promise of offering greater peace of mind, regardless of the destination,” Ben added.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 Launch _Picture 4: [From left] Chee Lip Choon, Sales Director of Goodyear Malaysia Berhad & Ben Hoge, Managing Director of Goodyear Malaysia Berhad marking the official appearance of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tire into the Malaysia markets.

Availability, Prices and Sizes

For the Malaysian market, the new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tyre will be offered in 17” to 20” rim diameter variants, with up to 34 sizes available.

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tire retails from RM668 to RM1,820 inclusive of GST, depending on different sizes. Consumers can now purchase the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 tires at Goodyear Autocare and Servitekar outlets, as well as authorized Goodyear dealers nationwide.

To learn more about Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3, as well as other Goodyear tires, please visit Goodyear Malaysia’s Official Website - http://www.goodyear.com.my/, or find us at Goodyear Malaysia’s Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/GoodyearMalaysia .

###

[1] 2.6 meters shorter braking distance (9% better performance) on wet roads and 1.3 meters shorter braking distance (4% better performance) on dry roads compared to average performance of 3 leading (available at the time of the test) designs from key competitors in UHP segment. Tested by TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH in Sept – Oct 2015 by order of Goodyear Dunlop, Tire Size: 225/45 R17 91Y; Test Car: VW Golf; Test Locations: Mireval (F), Papenburg (D), TÜV SÜD PS Garching (D); Report No. 713066268.

[2] Compared to average performance of 3 leading (available at the time of the test) designs from leading competitors in UHP segment. Tested by DEKRA in Sept – Oct 2015 by order of Goodyear Dunlop. Tire Size: 225/45 R17 91Y; Test Car: VW GOLF VII - 150 CV; Test Locations: open road and test circuit FP01 with test conditions described in test #2015-137.

[3] Source: Goodyear Dunlop internal forecast

[4] Source: IHS GI Vehicle Sales 2016-2020, Ver. Dec’15

[5] Compared to its predecessor

[6] Compared to average performance of 3 leading (available at the time of the test) designs from key competitors in UHP segment. Tested by DEKRA in Sept – Oct 2015 by order of Goodyear Dunlop. Tire Size: 225/45 R17 91Y; Test Car: VW GOLF VII - 150 CV;

Attachments

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
No doubt it's a good tire but need head-to-head comparison test with other competitors to see how it stacks up in various measured criteria, most notably against the current top of the line models like PS4, CSC5, latest P Zero, etc2

Good that now it has a lot more sizes than before though, including both sizes I;d need for my car setup now.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
No doubt it's a good tire but need head-to-head comparison test with other competitors to see how it stacks up in various measured criteria, most notably against the current top of the line models like PS4, CSC5, latest P Zero, etc2

Good that now it has a lot more sizes than before though, including both sizes I;d need for my car setup now.
Just hope they are priced competitively, since Made in EU......:smokin:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Just hope they are priced competitively, since Made in EU......:smokin:
Yeah, price is always an important criteria especially if comparing all these already excellent tires where you would not go wrong in which ever that you choose. So if one comes out on top then for those who only wants the best then can consider it no matter the price, but for those which are below might still be a good buy if the price is also lower. If this F1A3 can be about similar price as my EU made CSC5 last time then I'd surely consider it too.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I am also waiting to see where the pricing goes. The Asy2 was way below PS3 price those days, but lately PS3 have drop their prices to match Asy2. We thought these move was to clear PS3, but when PS4 came out they are priced slightly above PS3 only, which is pretty good.....

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
The sizing chart would be useful. Yes I know that there's no 15"

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Available sizes from their website:-
205/45R17 88W
205/50R17 93Y
215/45R17 91Y
225/45R17 94Y
225/50R17 98Y
225/55R17 97Y
235/45R17 97Y
235/55R17 103Y
245/40R17 95Y
245/45R17 95Y
225/40R18 92Y
225/45R18 95Y
235/40R18 95Y
235/45R18 98Y
235/50R18 101Y
245/35R18 92Y
245/40R18 97Y
245/45R18 100Y
255/35R18 94Y
265/35R18 97Y
275/35R18 99Y
225/35R19 88Y
235/35R19 91Y
245/35R19 93Y
245/40R19 98Y
245/45R19 102Y
255/30R19 91Y
255/35R19 96Y
225/55R17 97Y *MOE ROF FP
225/50R18 95W *ROF FP
245/45R18 100Y *MOE XL ROF FP
275/40R18 99Y *MOE ROF FP
245/40R19 98Y *MOE XL ROF FP
275/35R19 100Y *MOE XL ROF FP

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Tom, I heard from a little birdy that the test cars with the tyres didn't have the tyres run in so grip wasn't optimal. You were able to push the tyres that hard or you didn't really?

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Tom, I heard from a little birdy that the test cars with the tyres didn't have the tyres run in so grip wasn't optimal. You were able to push the tyres that hard or you didn't really?
I believe Tom would stand on the go-fast pedal. I know I would.

Track
Fast car
Fresh tires

Who wouldn't!?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
That is the thing, they always fit fresh tyres. Must look new and nice for photography too......lol
The previous Asy2 launch they had official launch on Saturday and invitation to clubs and forum groups on Sunday, which I attended. That time launch both F1 D5 and Asy2 same time.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
These aren't like slicks or semis, so nothing much to run in or warm up for. If anything, the tyres would have been perfectly primed by 3 corners. Grip was exceptional for a road tyre in fact, right out of the box

I did give the tyres a good run in fact

I believe Tom would stand on the go-fast pedal. I know I would.

Track
Fast car
Fresh tires

Who wouldn't!?
yeah, I totally did, too bad the view out the video was overexposed, i quite like the run

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

It hasn’t been that long really but the engineers at Nissan already have a round of improvements in store for next year’s 370Z as well as for the Nismo version.

However, the changes are limited to...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience