End of Manual Transmission?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Read an article for M-series to end Manual tranny in near future.

Didnt know manual has torque limit. I thought all this while, clutch etc upgrade could increase the limit. :smokin:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/bmw-m-exec-sees-bleak-future-manual-dct-transmissions/
Not surprised manual will be gone soon but the one I'm more surprised is his prediction that DCT might also be gone and back to torque converter.

Of course everything has a limit. What he means is certain manual gearboxes that they have been using so far might not be strong enough to handle the predicted/targeted increase in torque for their M cars, but other manual gearboxes made in US already able to handle such big torque but they're crude and heavy.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Read an article for M-series to end Manual tranny in near future.

Didnt know manual has torque limit. I thought all this while, clutch etc upgrade could increase the limit. :smokin:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/bmw-m-exec-sees-bleak-future-manual-dct-transmissions/
Perhaps they are referring to stock manual transmission with a light stock clutch. Anything higher you probably need a stiffer clutch which is probably not preferable in a stock car.

Look at this article here.
https://paultan.org/2017/04/25/manual-box-will-be-gone-in-six-seven-years-bmw-m/

It says max at 600nm of torque but in this case, I think they are referring only to BMW's own transmission.

600nm of torque is not really the limit for a manual transmission gearbox. Look at those heavily modded Supra or Skyline GT-R. They probably produce higher torque than this but yet, still using manual transmission.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Not surprised manual will be gone soon but the one I'm more surprised is his prediction that DCT might also be gone and back to torque converter.

Of course everything has a limit. What he means is certain manual gearboxes that they have been using so far might not be strong enough to handle the predicted/targeted increase in torque for their M cars, but other manual gearboxes made in US already able to handle such big torque but they're crude and heavy.
yea, market also lean towards auto not manual..so no fund to RnD on manual.

Perhaps they are referring to stock manual transmission with a light stock clutch. Anything higher you probably need a stiffer clutch which is probably not preferable in a stock car.

Look at this article here.
https://paultan.org/2017/04/25/manual-box-will-be-gone-in-six-seven-years-bmw-m/

It says max at 600nm of torque but in this case, I think they are referring only to BMW's own transmission.

600nm of torque is not really the limit for a manual transmission gearbox. Look at those heavily modded Supra or Skyline GT-R. They probably produce higher torque than this but yet, still using manual transmission.
Yup, BMW own transmission. no feel driving auto. left leg can fold and keep.:burnout:

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yea, market also lean towards auto not manual..so no fund to RnD on manual.

Yup, BMW own transmission. no feel driving auto. left leg can fold and keep.:burnout:
But manual fun to drive on winding route......:driver:

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
If manual transmission were to be phased out, I hope it will happen after I'm gone. :driver:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
If manual transmission were to be phased out, I hope it will happen after I'm gone. :driver:
Wishful thinking, it would probably happen very soon already. Even now what car available new in manual here?? Only very few enthusiast's cars like Megane RS, Lotus, some BMW M cars, GT86/BRZ, and then the very low end cars like Proton, Perodua, or some low end Jap & Korean cars. Others in between practically no manual options anymore. Many top brands like Mercs, Ferrari, Lambo, Jaguar, Lexus, don't have manual for a very long time already now, some more than a decade.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Find one with potential and keep it :biggrin:

Wishful thinking, it would probably happen very soon already. Even now what car available new in manual here?? Only very few enthusiast's cars like Megane RS, Lotus, some BMW M cars, GT86/BRZ, and then the very low end cars like Proton, Perodua, or some low end Jap & Korean cars. Others in between practically no manual options anymore. Many top brands like Mercs, Ferrari, Lambo, Jaguar, Lexus, don't have manual for a very long time already now, some more than a decade.
Yup, MY theres not much market for manual car. Even nowdays there's two category for license manual/auto :rofl:

Hopefully i could swap my perdanalution for real evo/subie and settle for life :biggrin::driver:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Find one with potential and keep it :biggrin:

Yup, MY theres not much market for manual car. Even nowdays there's two category for license manual/auto :rofl:

Hopefully i could swap my perdanalution for real evo/subie and settle for life :biggrin::driver:
Get Evo X, got manual version......lol

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
so many copy cat on the road..preferably evo3, or evo7/8..or subie version 6/8..

How i wish xv/civic has manual version, was back and forth the showroom to find new car but those cvt gbox is dull. End up go for perdanalution .:smokin:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm still young and I haven't had enough of driving manual transmission yet. Just 24 this year. :banghead:

Actually several new cars are still available in manual variant in overseas especially European region. Like even the new Toyota C-HR is available in 6 speed manual. From what I learned recently, Mazda cars sold in Japan like 2 (Demio), 3 (Axela), 6 (Atenza), CX-3 can be had in manual variant. Too bad all these are not available here.

Speaking of manual, I recently found a local Youtuber doing a lot of drag races with his car in Miri, Sarawak. The youtuber himself is driving a 3rd gen 1NZ-FE Vios manual. From his videos. it can be seen that manual transmission really gave his car a lot of advantage even against more powerful cars. Civic FD 1.8 AT and Hilux 3.0 AT cannot even catch up with his Vios manual. He is even able to keep up with Civic FD 2.0 until he shifts to 3rd where the FD starts to pull ahead. He even tried with B16A Civic EG auto and even for that, the B16A is just very slightly ahead of his Vios manual. I'm very impressed with the advantages that a manual transmission can offer. :adore:

That manual is clearly made to be inferior than its predecessor. Evo IX had a 6 speed MT while the X only had a 5 speed MT. :mad:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
so many copy cat on the road..preferably evo3, or evo7/8..or subie version 6/8..

How i wish xv/civic has manual version, was back and forth the showroom to find new car but those cvt gbox is dull. End up go for perdanalution .:smokin:
Civic Type R loh.....:driver:

Last edited:

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
I'm still young and I haven't had enough of driving manual transmission yet. Just 24 this year. :banghead:
nvm, about same age +-2years..hahaha

Civic Tyre R loh.....:driver:
thief magnet.

anyway, later down the road, manual will be thing in the past i suppose, if car going greener/hybrid, there's no use for manual transmission.:bawling:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Civic Tyre R loh.....:driver:
Typo. Type R become Tyre R. :rofl:

nvm, about same age +-2years..hahaha

thief magnet.

anyway, later down the road, manual will be thing in the past i suppose, if car going greener/hybrid, there's no use for manual transmission.:bawling:
You are that young only? Driving Perdana turbo already. :adore:

Is sad that we can't really get any good spec manual cars on the new car market today. Is either no manual option at all or just the bare basic spec with manual. In places like my hometown, Ipoh where traffic jam is not serious, you really can enjoy driving manual as a daily car. Looking at the new car market now, I really can't think of any replacement for my car if one day I have enough money to get a new car. Inspira 1.8 manual seems like a suitable upgrade for me since it is also a rebadged Lancer like my car now but too bad it is already discontinued.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Anyone got any suggestion as to which brand is THE MOST durable wax / sealant ?

My repainter suggested ...

NU FINISH,

a US product claiming to be able to last ONE year or 50 plus washes...

The other is COLLINITE which I think is not locally available...

All suggestions welcomed, professional detailers comments most welcomed with thanks!:top::itsme:

(sorry durable mis-spelt, couldnt edit)
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience