Review: Michelin PS4 Tyre Comparison - Wet Braking & Slalom

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
So guys, here are my findings on the new MPS4 during a recent Michelin tyre comparison, i've compiled a review and a video for you, so please enjoy!

The Pilot Sport tyre range is undoubtedly one the most highly regarded in the world. It is the definitive tyre choice for many drivers and has evidently proven its talent time and time again. Every PS iteration was as impressive as the last one and out of the box, all PS tyres are renowned for its confidence inspiring, well damped ride. It is also a tyre known for endurance and remain resilient throughout most of its lifetime.

Tyre Test: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 vs Comparison Tyre

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BZyUJHK8vmE" allowfullscreen="" width="700" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

The PS4 is Now in Malaysia

The Pilot Sport 4 has finally landed and it looks really good. Firstly, it has motorsport focused Pilot Cup tyre inspired sidewalls which adds to its desirability. Then, because it is largely inspired by tread pattern on street-focused Formula E racing tyres, helps the PS4 achieve greater dry and wet handling as well as more reactive steering in the said conditions. The ability to tame extreme torque generated in Formula E road racing have also trickled into development of the new PS4 which helps it excel in real driving conditions.

This PS4 is actually a refreshed PSS

Following developments of the Pilot Sport range on tyre websites for months, we stumbled on the Pilot's plot twist. While the Pilot Sport 4 name suggests evolution to the PS3, it isn't actually so. In fact, it has little to do with it. The PS4 is actually based on a refreshed Pilot Super Sport, the more performance oriented model, which actually sits below motorsport-grade Pilot Cup 2. So, that in essence mean you get new PSS performance in a PS4. Sounds good? There's more good news ahead.

According to Michelin, during a comparative testing based on 18" tyres, the Pilot Sport 4 was 99% more capable in everyday situations when compared to the original Pilot Super Sport, with 10-15% improvement in wear. With the remaining 1% deficit being marginal difference by a couple of tenths when testing at a long circuit. That's like getting Macbook Pro power for Macbook price.

New Features of the PS4

1. "Ultra-reactive" tread pattern design:
    Promises to adapt to the road and provide crisp steering.
  2. Wide and deep longitudinal grooves:
    For improved performance in wet conditions
  3. Designed with dynamic response technology:
  4. Use of Aramid and Nylon in the the tyre belt said to help the tyre to continually conform to the contours of the road, delivering best traction available for the condition.
  5. Tread compounds derived from Formula E and WRC:
    Tread pattern inspired by Formula E racing tyres, heavily influencing PS4's ability to handle extreme torque and to posses reactive handling on normal road surface for both wet and dry conditions.
  6. Tyre compound features unique blend of elastomers and hydrophobic Silica:
    A compound blend to facilitate dispersing of water and to help the tyre remain flexible to deliver improved wet grip and braking.

PS4 Tyre Test

During the launch event, Michelin conducted a tyre comparison on a test course via a series of slalom manoeuvres, including the all-important braking test. This is done via:

• 2 Parallel Courses
    • Course 1: Dry Slalom + Wet High Speed Braking (Mercedes)
    • Course 2: Wet Slalom + Dry Braking (BMW)
  • 4 Cars:
    • Course 1: Mercedes C200 Coupe on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyres
    • Course 1: Mercedes C200 Coupe on Comparison tyres
    • Course 2: BMW 320D on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyres
    • Course 2: BMW 320D on Comparison tyres

• Runs
    • 2 Runs in each car
    • Course 1: Michelin, Michelin, Comparison, Comparison (Mercedes)
    • Course 2: Michelin, Michelin, Comparison, Comparison (BMW)

If you need to know, the comparison tyre used for this benchmark is Bridgestone's RE003. However, the objective of this test is not to compare these tyres head to head. Instead, Michelin aims to showcase the Pilot Sport 4's superior performance despite being a pure road tyre against one of today's highly rated road tyre. Both tyres ran identical tyre pressures, in staggered 225/45/18 sizes and 255/40/18 sizes.

First Impressions:

For one, the new PS4 looks great, tread pattern is conservative as ever but this time they've introduced a new sidewall design. If you've ever noticed the sidewalls on their crème de la crème motorsport derived Pilot Sport Cup tyres, you'd be pleased to know the new PS4 mimics this similar flushed yet contrasty motif which Michelin likes to call the Velvet Design.

Now as for actual driving impressions, I need to reiterate the target here is not to compare against the Bridgestones, nor is this test regulated in any way. This test terrain that we had was harsh. I'm talking water filled pot holes, exposed asphalt, undulating surfaces, dips and such.

This course was in the least ideal condition for any tyre to shine, furthermore artificial rain constantly floods it creating a hell like surface for tyres. Where it is almost impossible to even compare 2 equivalent road specced tyre side-by-side as the the evil terrain would likely have their individual advantages cancel each other out in the end, let alone this particular test.

For the record, these comparison BP RE003s displayed characteristics of a high performance tyre and handled reasonably well in the terrain faced. But like most tyres, on an autocross stage such as what we have here, even the BPs had to succumb to imminent slip when the going gets tough.

The PS4 however, was world's apart on the test course. What seemed like an undramatic walk in the park on the Michelins felt like potential tarmac rally stage otherwise. For starters, steering is remarkably responsive and even more noticeably so when compared with the other tyre. The PS4 felt relentless through the course and there's a sense of firmness where most tyres would give in and feel soft.

Braking

Braking in Course 1 begins with a dash from zero on dry land, gunning to about 80kmh before slamming the brakes at a designated full wet braking zone. This braking zone is perpetually wet and conditions worsen with the rapid pounding. The surface of this area is like an open wound with the tarmac exposed and riddled with loose asphalt. Simulating the worst possible surface to stop a car.

To be honest, I wasn't particularly impressed during the 2 initial runs with the PS4 in this exercise. Not until the 2 consecutive runs in the comparison tyre which felt like an eternity to come to a complete stop especially with the end of the zone closing in, simulating a more convincing scenario.

It is also harsher in the comparison tyre where sensation of these bumps and loose gravel would travel into the cockpit and can be felt via the steering. There is noticeably more slip here as well, thankfully not upon initiation but towards mid to end of braking. In this back to back braking test, you can literally feel the precious seconds go by as the car consumes that much more road to stop. There is also a hint that we've hit the limit and gone to extremes.

On the PS4 however, the car remain substantially calmer under braking despite being in the same conditions. Just as in the slalom, these tyres remained composed and taut throughout the braking exercise. We've got braking results to share, and do check out the video of this test to know more:

Michelin Pilot Sport 4:

• Run 1: 31.6m
  • Run 2: 31.1m
Comparison Tyres:

• Run 1: 34.4m
  • Run 2: 34.4m

Verdict

The combination of wet and dry tarmac at both the slalom courses are designed to agitate grip. Producing a perfect proving ground to excrete every drop of performance from these tyres.

And yet honestly,

Despite the comparison tyre being great for what it is and more than sufficient for discerning drivers, I was blown away by just how much more performance the far superior PS4 can provide over an already great tyre, it's just nuts.

Somehow, the PS4 has the uncanny ability to mute noise and dilute harshness in any situation. Like when exploring grip in the comparison tyre on the other hand, every scrub and scrape was more like a rub and tug for Michelin.

Tyre Sizes

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyre Sizes that are available in Malaysia:

Tyre Test: Michelin Pilot Sport 4 vs Comparison Tyre

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BZyUJHK8vmE" allowfullscreen="" width="700" height="315" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Attachments

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Is this tyre going to replace Pilot Super Sport?
yes it is and was stated in my report:

This PS4 is actually a refreshed PSS

Following developments of the Pilot Sport range on tyre websites for months, we stumbled on the Pilot's plot twist. While the Pilot Sport 4 name suggests evolution to the PS3, it isn't actually so. In fact, it has little to do with it. The PS4 is actually based on a refreshed Pilot Super Sport, the more performance oriented model, which actually sits below motorsport-grade Pilot Cup 2. So, that in essence mean you get new PSS performance in a PS4. Sounds good? There's more good news ahead.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I see. So it is something like a facelift for the PSS. How is the pricing compared to PSS? Since you said getting Macbook Pro power for Macbook price means it is lower?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Actually should test PS4 against GY Asy3 or Conti CSC6 as these are same league with PS4.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Actually to what I know PS4 is to replace PS3. Later there will be a PS4S to replace PSS...:driver:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm
Yeah I also thought the PS4S is the actual replacement for PSS while this PS4 is replacement for PS3.
Anyway sounds like a fantastic tire to buy next time and now it has all my sizes too! :biggrin:

Actually should test PS4 against GY Asy3 or Conti CSC6 as these are same league with PS4.
In the Michelin websites somewhere I think they have put some comparison as well with all those tires and this PS4 comes out the winner but of course that might be biased already. Anyway testing vs the RE003 I think is quite representative as well.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I see. So it is something like a facelift for the PSS. How is the pricing compared to PSS? Since you said getting Macbook Pro power for Macbook price means it is lower?
Based on this performance comparison as quoted from Michelin, the PS4 is almost right on par with the PSS.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/What-is-happening-to-the-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

I don't have exact RM prices in hand but with some googling, the PSS is still significantly pricier than the new PS4

Actually to what I know PS4 is to replace PS3. Later there will be a PS4S to replace PSS...:driver:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm
that is also true, although the PS4S is reported to support sizes 19" and above

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/What-is-happening-to-the-Michelin-Pilot-Super-Sport.htm

yeah, that would have been ideal

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Based on this performance comparison as quoted from Michelin, the PS4 is almost right on par with the PSS.

I don't have exact RM prices in hand but with some googling, the PSS is still significantly pricier than the new PS4

that is also true, although the PS4S is reported to support sizes 19" and above

yeah, that would have been ideal

Maybe the relationship/positioning of PS4 & PS4S is like Continental's CSC5 & CSC5P.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
So, the pricing should be something like in between PS3 and PSS.... If so, PS4 will be a threat to PSS unless PSS are phased out.
Read the articles and it will show you that it will be phased out but some sizes will be maintained for OEM purpose. Even PS3 will still be produced even though replaced by PS4, but I think more should be in the smaller sizes where PS4 will not have....:driver:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Read the articles and it will show you that it will be phased out but some sizes will be maintained for OEM purpose. Even PS3 will still be produced even though replaced by PS4, but I think more should be in the smaller sizes where PS4 will not have....:driver:
Now that PS4 had stopped 15" from its lineup, do you think soon 15" performance tyres will be phased out by other manufacturers like 14"? The standard wheel size is getting larger and larger as the year goes by.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Now that PS4 had stopped 15" from its lineup, do you think soon 15" performance tyres will be phased out by other manufacturers like 14"? The standard wheel size is getting larger and larger as the year goes by.
That is why they keep PS3.....lol
Anyway, to them Max performance market is actually for larger sizes. Like PS2 time they had 17" above only where GY GS-D3 had 15". Then when Asy started they phase out 15" but PS3 came out with it, however now we know PS3 is not PS2 replacement that is why they have 15".
When PSS came out it is 18" above like CSC6 now...:driver:
For PS4 lucky for some 16" kaki.....hhahhaha:rofl: