Leaking brake fluid while car is parked outside

shem_lexluger

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
This is bizarre. Car is AE101 SEG.

I have a leaking brake fluid problem only when the car is parked outside and exposed to heat and rain.

When I parked the car inside the porch hoping to do some diagnosis on the leakage, the brake fluid didn't drop at all for a week.

When it is parked outside, it went from max to min level within approx 3 days, which triggered the handbrake light on the console permanently. Top up the brake fluid and the light will go off. This has happened twice with today being the worst because the level went to below minimum resulting the brake pedal to not engage the brakes at all.

I am not sure if heat is the culprit because when the car is driven I am sure the engine bay is even hotter than the weather outside and there was no loss of fluid. Could it be the rain? At the moment, it's pretty much raining daily for 2-3 hours. :dontknow:

Can anyone give any educated reasoning before I send the car off to the mechs?

Attachments

Last edited:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Leaking so badly you cannot see the leak in your brake system. Usually will be brake master pump area, and at the 4 wheels. Master pump check outside and inside also, meaning the pedal area....

lsm1991

1,000 RPM

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Leaking so badly you cannot see the leak in your brake system. Usually will be brake master pump area, and at the 4 wheels. Master pump check outside and inside also, meaning the pedal area....
actually... his description seems weird, outside, it leaks, inside it does not?

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
after drive, touch/feel inner rims by hand. Also all mudguard.
can feel oil stain ? My 2 cent.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
actually... his description seems weird, outside, it leaks, inside it does not?
But still need to find where it is leaking? Cannot just disappear.....lol:biggrin:
If no visible leak outside, just afraid leaking at master pump and dripping inside under the carpet....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
once upon a time, my satria developed slow brake leak at masterpump....

after few years, the day just before i send the car for puspakom due to selling it,

it decide to pee all the brake fluid...

no other way, change to new masterpump cylinder, bleeding the brake, all worked great afterward...

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
I think need someone to press on the brakes and another person then check the system where got leaking. With brake pressure, the leak should be more obvious.

shem_lexluger

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Thank you for all your responses.

I have found the leakage area which is at the rear left brake caliper. Managed to find it after prodding around all 4 wheels instead of just looking with flashlight. Then took out the wheel and caliper assembly to see the problem up close. Will be looking for spare parts in the next few days. Any of you guys have experience buying a repair kit? It should come in pairs right?

Still unsure about why the leakage was at its most severe when the car is parked outside but we can forget about it.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Thank you for all your responses.

I have found the leakage area which is at the rear left brake caliper. Managed to find it after prodding around all 4 wheels instead of just looking with flashlight. Then took out the wheel and caliper assembly to see the problem up close. Will be looking for spare parts in the next few days. Any of you guys have experience buying a repair kit? It should come in pairs right?

Still unsure about why the leakage was at its most severe when the car is parked outside but we can forget about it.
Yup, repair kit comes in pairs.....

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Perhaps outside, just so happens the brakes engage at a certain angle that it leaks, when inside the dirt/dust shifts so it doesn't?

Anyway, it's just a matter of servicing the caliper? But for it to leak that bad - that's an extreme leak! Can take pics and share?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Probably need to check the piston and caliper's cylinder wall too. Mine got one time, piston rusted badly need to change...:bawling:

shem_lexluger

shem_lexluger

Dec 29, 2009
Subang Jaya
Perhaps outside, just so happens the brakes engage at a certain angle that it leaks, when inside the dirt/dust shifts so it doesn't?

Anyway, it's just a matter of servicing the caliper? But for it to leak that bad - that's an extreme leak! Can take pics and share?
Hi bro,

Here are a couple of pics of the parts I am planning to replace. Unfortunately I didn't take the whole caliper and cylinder pics as soon as I took it out. Now it has been cleaned so there's no more oil stains visible.

The parts are:
1 rubber ring that the piston inserts into
1 rubber cap to seal the cylinder with an opening for the piston to protrude (this is the leak source)
1 ring clip to secure the cylinder rubber cap in place

Attachments

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Hi loyal Zerotohundred.com people,

Welcome to Malaysia, West Coast Customs!

After being kept a secret from the public for months, the news has finally been released. The guys from West Coast Customs are in Malaysia for a tour!

Many organisations collaborated to make this happen, which will be announced soon.

Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience