Do timing belt have shelf life?

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Probably does since it's made partially of rubber. Kinda like tyres i suppose
I think you're looking between 5 - 10 years?
likely depends how it's kept as well, cool and dry or wet and humid plays a big part in this

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
likely depends how it's kept as well, cool and dry or wet and humid plays a big part in this
In that case its kinda risky for me.
My 1.8 waja is 16 years old this year and not many of them around now...well its not much to begin with. There is at least 4 shop near my house which i know carry my timing belt and ill be a risky affair for me then.

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
I'm sure it's not heading for extinction that quickly? plus there are OEM makers for these things. Try asking the spare parts shop guy what he knows about timing belt storage or if your timing belt supply will soon run out?

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm sure it's not heading for extinction that quickly? plus there are OEM makers for these things. Try asking the spare parts shop guy what he knows about timing belt storage or if your timing belt supply will soon run out?
Tom, unfortunately for his case, his Waja is the rare version that uses the Renault 1.8 engine, that is why he thinks that the parts for his engine is heading for extinction soon.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Tom, unfortunately for his case, his Waja is the rare version that uses the Renault 1.8 engine, that is why he thinks that the parts for his engine is heading for extinction soon.
Search for Renault parts then. My Chery SUV have Renault GB, was searching for transmission parts, later found at Renault part shop.....:biggrin:

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Agree, brand new and stored properly can last a long time.
Made of steel belts and rubber but the tooth are mainly rubber. Usually that gives way first rather than the whole belt snap....

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Search for Renault parts then. My Chery SUV have Renault GB, was searching for transmission parts, later found at Renault part shop.....:biggrin:
I think if need to find it specially, the price won't be wallet friendly already.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
Have been using ori renault timing belt.
only worried coz for sure the belt is kept on the shop shelf for years due to low demand.

Even more concern is the ori renault belt recommended interval is 80k km if not mistaken.Keeping the part on shelf for very long will affect its lifespan yes?
There are brand which claim their belt is good for 100k km...this bugs me...why renault ori belt only last 80k km...engine put lots of stress on the belt?

i encounter once my tensioner melted and causing knocking sound when starting the engine
this timing belt set reach abt 60k km and is ori set. when removed,belt is still good visually.

just worried it snapped...repair bill for renault engine is walauweh...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
only worried coz for sure the belt is kept on the shop shelf for years due to low demand.

Even more concern is the ori renault belt recommended interval is 80k km if not mistaken.Keeping the part on shelf for very long will affect its lifespan yes?
There are brand which claim their belt is good for 100k km...this bugs me...why renault ori belt only last 80k km...engine put lots of stress on the belt?

i encounter once my tensioner melted and causing knocking sound when starting the engine
this timing belt set reach abt 60k km and is ori set. when removed,belt is still good visually.

Like mentioned above, stored properly can still last a long time.
This happened to me when I bought 2nd hand Honda. Car hardly used, 4 years old did 40k km only. Mechanic say change timing belt at 60k km, but after 1 year use hardly 50k km the belt broke. To me is not the mileage but the length of time and heat. Basically if cannot reach the mileage better change after 4 to 5 years......lol

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL

Manufacturer claims can be taken with a grain of salt unless they guarantee it with an engine rebuild warranty. Kinda like Porsche Cayman 712 turbo 4-cylinders claim of 820kgm of CO2 or something. To be able to achieve that sort of emissions you need to drive below 80km/h and do gradual starts and all that... in a Porsche? Yeah right.

And personally if you take the effort to remove the belt, visually good or not, it's already pre-tensioned and some wear is already there. I'd just change to a new one for peace of mind

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
You can always inspect the condition from time to time, they usually have warning signs, like splitting, cracking, fraying of tooth...

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You can always inspect the condition from time to time, they usually have warning signs, like splitting, cracking, fraying of tooth...
I have seen some belt still pretty good condition but the tooth gave way. After certain mileage, or time period better to change anyway......lol

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
In that case its kinda risky for me.
My 1.8 waja is 16 years old this year and not many of them around now...well its not much to begin with. There is at least 4 shop near my house which i know carry my timing belt and ill be a risky affair for me then.

u can always order those at continental sparepart shop...
or thru nissan/renault SC...

or easiest..order it online such as lazada and keep it on standby when near due change....

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

UMW Toyota Motor has just announced that they have begun taking orders for the all new Toyota Camry as of 2nd April (today) 2012 onwards.

<!--more-->Below is the summary of the estimated On-The Road price (OTR) and colours that are available for the all new Toyota Camry variants...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience