how to start rallying by scratch

koimun

Jun 8, 2014
selangor
i already got the competition license and i owned a car as well but i just dk how to really start rallying.
i mean like practicing, modifying( roll cages,exhaust etc.), Stages, which shop or garage i can go for near selangor area and so on.
Other than that, what should i need? most important is the cost. and im driving a toyota ae101, is it suitable?
hope i will able to know some experienced guy here and guide me through to my first drive in a competition.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
i already got the competition license and i owned a car as well but i just dk how to really start rallying.
i mean like practicing, modifying( roll cages,exhaust etc.), Stages, which shop or garage i can go for near selangor area and so on.
Other than that, what should i need? most important is the cost. and im driving a toyota ae101, is it suitable?
hope i will able to know some experienced guy here and guide me through to my first drive in a competition.
competition license in rally only valid if the license was issued from AAM.... if issued by MAM currently in Malaysian Rally Championship they didnt allow MAM license holder to join....

and double check the license category because offroad/dirt/rally license grouping wasnt same as road racing/track/drift group...u might need to pay for additional license group.....(in fact might need to apply another license for diff group)

as for rollcage u have several option...

so far the cheapest option will be sourcing bolt-on rollcage from halfcut and install into your car...

2nd best bit, find racing workshop that can do welded rollcage on budget (not according to fia/international standard..but it will do fine in MY/national rally event)

3rd best bit...the highest standard but the most expensive, do the rollcage according to FIA regulation..price start from around 14k onward if not mistaken...(only 2 shop i knew doing this: 1= MRU motorsport, another one is SRF (google saidi SRF)

what car you drive doesnt really matter....u will be put into category depends on engine capacity....1= below 1000cc, 2= 1300cc~1500cc, 3= 1600cc, 4= 1800cc, 5= 2000cc above

if turbo/supercharged engine original cc will multiply by 1.2 or by 1.3 factor i forgot....example 4agze 1600cc X 1.3 = 2080cc so will join 2000cc and above category....

cost normally entry fee = rm500...then additional rm500 for temporary public road insurance..in total rm1000..u will get hotel room+ tent for in carpark service area....other cost will be car carrier (sharing cost with other car in one trailer trip) as well as service crew wage+food and living.... (+- another rm2k atleast to spend)....+rental car for recce (or sacrifice own road car during recce/practice because cant use the rally car that time) so in total per event trip is around rm4k

for practice normally we do run in estate/plantation nearby our place...melaka/selangor....

so if u want more detail u can pm me....i got few place/shop/rally club/group can intro to you

Tom

TIMETOATTACK
Helmet Clan
Jul 6, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
you could try searching for and contacting:

Nanda Kumar from RCS 0129232782
Saladin Mazlan from Tanah Merah

koimun

Jun 8, 2014
selangor
competition license in rally only valid if the license was issued from AAM.... if issued by MAM currently in Malaysian Rally Championship they didnt allow MAM license holder to join....

and double check the license category because offroad/dirt/rally license grouping wasnt same as road racing/track/drift group...u might need to pay for additional license group.....(in fact might need to apply another license for diff group)

as for rollcage u have several option...

so far the cheapest option will be sourcing bolt-on rollcage from halfcut and install into your car...

2nd best bit, find racing workshop that can do welded rollcage on budget (not according to fia/international standard..but it will do fine in MY/national rally event)

3rd best bit...the highest standard but the most expensive, do the rollcage according to FIA regulation..price start from around 14k onward if not mistaken...(only 2 shop i knew doing this: 1= MRU motorsport, another one is SRF (google saidi SRF)

what car you drive doesnt really matter....u will be put into category depends on engine capacity....1= below 1000cc, 2= 1300cc~1500cc, 3= 1600cc, 4= 1800cc, 5= 2000cc above

if turbo/supercharged engine original cc will multiply by 1.2 or by 1.3 factor i forgot....example 4agze 1600cc X 1.3 = 2080cc so will join 2000cc and above category....

cost normally entry fee = rm500...then additional rm500 for temporary public road insurance..in total rm1000..u will get hotel room+ tent for in carpark service area....other cost will be car carrier (sharing cost with other car in one trailer trip) as well as service crew wage+food and living.... (+- another rm2k atleast to spend)....+rental car for recce (or sacrifice own road car during recce/practice because cant use the rally car that time) so in total per event trip is around rm4k

for practice normally we do run in estate/plantation nearby our place...melaka/selangor....

so if u want more detail u can pm me....i got few place/shop/rally club/group can intro to you
Thanks alot, this really useful for me. for the license i think there are no problem. Im juz a student right now, alot of things still need to concern to achieve this dream. by the way, if i want to put the cheapest roll cage like the bolt on type is it suitable for competition? because is really hard to find second hand roll cage with my car.
this i already asked one shop near klang there is quite affortable, but they guy said it really scary coz these are dangerous compare to those expensive one. so thats why im still considering. but i juz want to slowly upgrade my car so that i can save money for eating. haha. now im juz saving almost all my pocket money for this things. For the rally club or group i would like to join also, with this i can learn more from that. i would like to know you and be fren with you also, would you mind? haha im juz wanna to learn from you guys though.:biggrin::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

you could try searching for and contacting:

Nanda Kumar from RCS 0129232782
Saladin Mazlan from Tanah Merah
is it need to do booking first before you going?
is there any safety they are concern? or is it play at your own risk?
i mean like if i dont have roll cage or etc, they allow anot? and do they provide rally car for rent?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Thanks alot, this really useful for me. for the license i think there are no problem. Im juz a student right now, alot of things still need to concern to achieve this dream. by the way, if i want to put the cheapest roll cage like the bolt on type is it suitable for competition? because is really hard to find second hand roll cage with my car.
this i already asked one shop near klang there is quite affortable, but they guy said it really scary coz these are dangerous compare to those expensive one. so thats why im still considering. but i juz want to slowly upgrade my car so that i can save money for eating. haha. now im juz saving almost all my pocket money for this things. For the rally club or group i would like to join also, with this i can learn more from that. i would like to know you and be fren with you also, would you mind? haha im juz wanna to learn from you guys though.:biggrin::biggrin:

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

is it need to do booking first before you going?
is there any safety they are concern? or is it play at your own risk?
i mean like if i dont have roll cage or etc, they allow anot? and do they provide rally car for rent?
:rolleyes:

i think need to book first....and must have rollcage....because even in training rally is already very dangerous motorsport.....

so i suggest u slowly find those bolt-on rollcage that fits your car...i've seen some put on sale back then....or u can try hunt those halfcut at klang.....or atleast request them to pre-book for you...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Thinking of the extreme here, but which mechanic(s) in the Klang Valley area would be recommended / highly recommended to consult when it comes to performing engine upgrades?

Which mechanic does the ZTH regulars approach when they have the $$ to change their car's engine?

Would like to upgrade my 1.6 auto to a 1.8 auto...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience