cold start problem.

Mar 3, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
i'm using kancil 1999 manual. Recently, during cold start, the rpm varies from 3k - 4k and it reduces to normal rpm after the engine temperature reaches the normal running temperature. This only happens during cold start.

Any help on the cause? thanks.

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
i'm using kancil 1999 manual. Recently, during cold start, the rpm varies from 3k - 4k and it reduces to normal rpm after the engine temperature reaches the normal running temperature. This only happens during cold start.

should not be a 'problem' but the auto choke kicked in

rice_noodles

Mar 3, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
but previously the rpm ain't that high, i think it was around 2k rpm, and now cold start at 4k is really noisy and causes mini-vibration to the whole car. Is it normal to have a high 4k rpm for cold start?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I don't see any problem, engine is designed to work this way isn't it? to warm up the engine
Yes, but as TS put it should be around 2k RPM only...

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Carburetor model, right? Not too sure of Kancil design, but there should be a screw to adjust...

rice_noodles

Mar 3, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, but as TS put it should be around 2k RPM only...

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

Carburetor model, right? Not too sure of Kancil design, but there should be a screw to adjust...
yes, it is the carburetor model. I read some info on the net that the screw adjustment is for idle RPM during warm engine? I brought the car to a mechanic last friday, but was unable to reproduce the problem because it only happens during cold start.

Any help on possible screw adjustments? I would like to try it myself if that is possible, though i'm quite clueless about this.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
yes, it is the carburetor model. I read some info on the net that the screw adjustment is for idle RPM during warm engine? I brought the car to a mechanic last friday, but was unable to reproduce the problem because it only happens during cold start.

Any help on possible screw adjustments? I would like to try it myself if that is possible, though i'm quite clueless about this.
My ex wira was carb. too. One screw for adjust idling and another for the choke. For the wira it was on the other side, if I can remember.
Another thing is, it should be link to a vacuum hose and a unit to activate the choke...
Hopefully a Kancil owner can info you...

Last edited:

g88

3,000 RPM
Jan 28, 2004
My ex wira was carb. too. One screw for adjust idling and another for the choke. For the wira it was on the other side, if I can remember.
Another thing is, it should be link to a vacuum hose and a unit to activate the choke...
Hopefully a Kancil owner can info you...
Do not ichy hand go to 'tune' the carb if its running OK as its not easy to 'tune' a carb 'correctly'

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Do not ichy hand go to 'tune' the carb if its running OK as its not easy to 'tune' a carb 'correctly'
Layman won't know where to tune. The tuning screw is hidden one. The one outside is just the idling screw. Anyway TS have high auto choke idling so need to de-tune.....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

as the above topic...can these be done???how much roughly the cost???can fit easily??
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience