Lancer CVT with Supercharger

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Dear All,

Would like to share a news i found online, might be another option for forced inductions besides turbocharging. The good thing about supercharging is smooth torque from lowest RPM. Apparently, the CVT in our lancer hates sudden surge of torque. The smoothness of supercharger torque delivery might able to offset that, eventhough the gain is lower compared to turbocharger.

The supercharger used in this car is Rotrex unit, which currently i knew is distributed by Vision Motor.

http://www.c-magazine.com/tuner/needs-turbo-can-supercharged/

Any supercharger fans or experts care to share some opinions on this? Personally i am quite interested to go for this route, as turbocharged Lancer CVT is common and some of them end up with blown transmission. I got a quote from a online seller for RM9k for Rotrex kit which was meant for FD2R.

Thanks,
Ken

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Dear All,

Would like to share a news i found online, might be another option for forced inductions besides turbocharging. The good thing about supercharging is smooth torque from lowest RPM. Apparently, the CVT in our lancer hates sudden surge of torque. The smoothness of supercharger torque delivery might able to offset that, eventhough the gain is lower compared to turbocharger.

The supercharger used in this car is Rotrex unit, which currently i knew is distributed by Vision Motor.

http://www.c-magazine.com/tuner/needs-turbo-can-supercharged/

Any supercharger fans or experts care to share some opinions on this? Personally i am quite interested to go for this route, as turbocharged Lancer CVT is common and some of them end up with blown transmission. I got a quote from a online seller for RM9k for Rotrex kit which was meant for FD2R.

Thanks,
Ken
Rm9k is quite cheap if full kit. Where did you get that?
If in Vision Auto, they will charge >15k and that's not even including engine management.

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Rm9k is quite cheap if full kit. Where did you get that?
If in Vision Auto, they will charge >15k and that's not even including engine management.
Hi,

Only for the kit, got it quoted from REV Performance, they sell kits only, not including installation and tuning. If all in i am sure i would rather that money at Vision Auto.

Thanks,
Ken

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Have you done research any supercharged car that using cvt?, You go buy supercharger from any shop they will tell you "semua boleh", how sure are you supercharger won't blow your cvt gearbox, both turbocharger & supercharger are FI and both of them for sure will give you the sudden surge of power when WOT, if changing to manual gearbox and supercharging it is a good option ,Then go that path

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
I don't think the CVT transmission can take extended power from the blown setup.

Even stock, at constant 160km/h speeds on highway that Lancer CVT is whining so loud.

gunnerzz

2,000 RPM
Jul 3, 2014
Melaka
I don't think the CVT transmission can take extended power from the blown setup.

Even stock, at constant 160km/h speeds on highway that Lancer CVT is whining so loud.
Agreed, all cvt have a limit of how much torque it can take.Most cvt have the limit not far off the torque output of the engine its mated to.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Have you done research any supercharged car that using cvt?, You go buy supercharger from any shop they will tell you "semua boleh", how sure are you supercharger won't blow your cvt gearbox, both turbocharger & supercharger are FI and both of them for sure will give you the sudden surge of power when WOT, if changing to manual gearbox and supercharging it is a good option ,Then go that path
Got to see how much the NA engine can take also....:driver:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Even in stock form, the gearbox can't take constant 190km/h for ~10 minutes. Somebody from the LYN Inspira club tested it before.

So yes, leave the sad CVT alone. lol.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
My exp was last time 4 ppl with bags and stuffs in boot went up genting. Used paddle shift and rpm somewhere around 4k to 6k. Before half way cvt overheat warning popped up. Car is 2012 already came with factory cvt cooler. I say better save your 10k until 30k then transplant ralliart engine. At least sst still can abuse up to genting hill.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
My exp was last time 4 ppl with bags and stuffs in boot went up genting. Used paddle shift and rpm somewhere around 4k to 6k. Before half way cvt overheat warning popped up. Car is 2012 already came with factory cvt cooler. I say better save your 10k until 30k then transplant ralliart engine. At least sst still can abuse up to genting hill.
Exactly.. CVT is shit.. :thefinger:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Hi,

Only for the kit, got it quoted from REV Performance, they sell kits only, not including installation and tuning. If all in i am sure i would rather that money at Vision Auto.

Thanks,
Ken
Oh I know that shop, I saw they posted ads for the Rotrex kit. Install and tuning can do at other shops which have dyno and can remap the ECU. But yeah I think just better leave it stock due to the CVT.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Obviously bro , any type of bolt on NA engine , have to run low boost, or not engine koyak, unless change engine internal parts
Just mention in case all talk about the gb only, suddenly engine also kaput.....hhahhahahha:rofl:

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
The link i shared is the only supercharged CVT Lancer even found. How sure i am, nothing can be sure, even 4 speed automatic slush box can face the same thing. I am sharing an idea to CVT Lancer owners that there's such setup existed. If changing to manual gearbox and just for boosting it, i recommend just buy a legit performance car, the cost for both manual gearbox, supercharger kit and labour has already enough to pay for downpayment.

Thanks,
Ken

Mitevo7

1,000 RPM
Jan 14, 2008
Mine 2008 never behaved like that until recently, i think my CVT cooler starting to degrade and needed an upgrade. My car is over 200k kms and my CVT never show any slow down warning (TOUCHWOOD) during hard driving.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Selamat hari raya
after a long break celebration, its quite an adjustment back to the norms, my buddy whom a car crazy & loves cars, expressed his intention of learning to maintaining his own white ride & pick up some DIY car detailing tricks of the trade

in the course of meeting, we inspects his ride, paint condition - (2 months old, only wash twice by the service center as he knew the tragic ending of prolong road side car wash)...after following my blogs for months, he is well informed &...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience