Another advice thread.

AlexHYS

Jan 2, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys, I've just got my licence and was thinking of getting a S15.I was thinking of a Miata, but the boot space was too small.

Is 70++k for a almost 80k km S15 a good deal?

Using stock turbo, when does it spool?Don't wanna blow up my petrol bill by spooling it up too much.

What spots do you check for rust on the S15?

Is the clutch heavy?Planning to use it as a DD.

Are there any reputable shops in JB for S15 tuning and servicing?

Thanks.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Very lucky you......Can own S15 once obtain license....At minimum age?
I am not being envious here. Anyway, as a newbie, my advice is to try drive a basic car, understand handling, learn the rope of auto maintenance, do some reading on automotive subjects, mix around at ZTH (ahahah), gain valuable experience from real-driving, learn road courtesy etc.

After you are familiar and confident, then graduate to a better car.....drive more powerful car and so forth...

Happy hunting your dream car.

goohtj

Known Member
Dec 27, 2004
good idea. new drivers often bump bump here n scratch scratch there. until your driving is stable, upgrade..

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Is that even possible?Well,I'll try finding a cheap little runabout like a Satria first then.

Thanks for all your insight.
Actually, if you have 70k cash in hand - I'd recommend you to get a new car. Something easy to handle whilst being interesting to drive.

Although a lot will disagree - consider the Mitsubishi Attrage. It doesn't have enough power to get you into trouble but the car is so light and nimble it's quite an interesting drive. And since it's new your family will not complain and based on it's looks, no one will suspect you're gonna mod the crap outta the car. Manual variant available too.

A little bit of suspension mods, lightweight rims (15" cheap!) and good tyres and you're good to go until you're so familiar with cars that you'll want more power. Then only change car.

The S15 although is a great car, it's not a newbie car. RWDs are not for the faint hearted, just one overzealous corner at speed and you'll eat wall if you're not fast enough to catch the oversteer. I remember sometime ago someone in ZTH chastised me for recommending a newbie a RWD, well he/she was right. RWDs are not for newbies. Understeer to some extent is safer than oversteer.

A Satria believe it or not is not a good idea because of the following :

1. It's not new. Family will complain non-stop.
2. It's not new. Lots of parts to fix / replace / rust just to get started.
3. It's not new. Lots of money will be spent fixing parts that are slowly breaking down.
4. It's a thief magnet. Yes.
5. No girl will want to date you. (hehe)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Supra_Fanatics

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Sep 17, 2008
Actually, if you have 70k cash in hand - I'd recommend you to get a new car. Something easy to handle whilst being interesting to drive.

Although a lot will disagree - consider the Mitsubishi Attrage. It doesn't have enough power to get you into trouble but the car is so light and nimble it's quite an interesting drive. And since it's new your family will not complain and based on it's looks, no one will suspect you're gonna mod the crap outta the car. Manual variant available too.

A little bit of suspension mods, lightweight rims (15" cheap!) and good tyres and you're good to go until you're so familiar with cars that you'll want more power. Then only change car.

The S15 although is a great car, it's not a newbie car. RWDs are not for the faint hearted, just one overzealous corner at speed and you'll eat wall if you're not fast enough to catch the oversteer. I remember sometime ago someone in ZTH chastised me for recommending a newbie a RWD, well he/she was right. RWDs are not for newbies. Understeer to some extent is safer than oversteer.

A Satria believe it or not is not a good idea because of the following :

1. It's not new. Family will complain non-stop.
2. It's not new. Lots of parts to fix / replace / rust just to get started.
3. It's not new. Lots of money will be spent fixing parts that are slowly breaking down.
4. It's a thief magnet. Yes.
5. No girl will want to date you. (hehe)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
Can get New Satria Neo at that price ma xD

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Neo is good start. Plenty of parts more modding, for visual and real performance. Good chassis too. Wear and tear part easily attainable.

Downside, they are pretty common on the road.....no one will give it a second glance though...
Another downside, the quality of interior plasticky, poor finishes....

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
buy cheap old satria at 4k,

transplant gsrT 1.8 engine +8k

adjustable suspension +1k

good wheel+tyre +2k

lower arm bushes,replace stock gsr brakepad,brake hose +1k

got more than 50k to enjoy other part of life summore....clubbing or go play poker at genting.....have a good holiday

or take part in trackdays/race/gymkhana and further upgrade the car....

worth every penny

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
buy cheap old satria at 4k,

transplant gsrT 1.8 engine +8k

adjustable suspension +1k

good wheel+tyre +2k

lower arm bushes,replace stock gsr brakepad,brake hose +1k

got more than 50k to enjoy other part of life summore....clubbing or go play poker at genting.....have a good holiday

or take part in trackdays/race/gymkhana and further upgrade the car....

worth every penny
New driver woh! just got license.....:biggrin:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

i've noticed at the shops that the cheaper alarm systems don't
come with their own relay (they utilize the existing one), the
expensive ones do. does anyone know whether this factor is
important?
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience