Grinding sound with air con on

yawn

yawn

Nov 19, 2006
Hey guys,

Wondering if any of you have experienced this before. When I turn my air con on there is a sort of whirring/ grinding sound coming from around the middle of the engine bay, more towards the drivers side. It's quite bad and I can feel the whole car vibrating when it happens.

Now it sometimes happens with the air con off as well, but only once every 30 mins or so, for about 2 mins. But it will def be there when the air con is on and stops immediately when I switch the air con off.

It definitely sounds and feels like a rotating part, kind of like a loose fan sound. Definitely not my radiator fan though.

I've been told it may be a loose part in my clutch or something along those lines but wanted to get a few of your opinions first before pulling the clutch out.

Thanks in advance :D

yawn

yawn

Nov 19, 2006
Hmm I never knew such a part existed. Haha but is it possible for it to make the noise even when the air con is off, if it's the compressor?

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM

jimmyae101

1,000 RPM
Dec 7, 2005
medan indonesia
confirm,u may check air compressor inside...got bearing on there.and check also outside engine bay air con compressor,check by using scew driver hearing when on air con got noise or not.any diffrent when off or on air con.help it can helping u check list.:driver:

tks

500 RPM

tks

500 RPM
Nov 14, 2003
USJ
Visit site
Hmm I never knew such a part existed. Haha but is it possible for it to make the noise even when the air con is off, if it's the compressor?
the assembly looks something like this...those 2 pieces have barely a millimeter in between them when put together. pulley is free spinning, outer part is the clutch that's connected to the compressor. when u turn the a/c on, the *tak* sound u hear is the clutch sticking (magnet on!) on to the spinning pulley to spin the compressor to work your a/c.

Sometimes for whatever reason these two get too close and may rub, hence cause the noise you're hearing even when the a/c is off.

Remember tho, this is just a guess, your mechanic should be able to check to confirm like jimmyae101 mentioned. could be a problem with the compressor itself...?

cheers! :burnout:

Attachments

Johnny_Tan

From Facebook

Johnny_Tan

From Facebook
Aug 16, 2010
www.facebook.com
the assembly looks something like this...those 2 pieces have barely a millimeter in between them when put together. pulley is free spinning, outer part is the clutch that's connected to the compressor. when u turn the a/c on, the *tak* sound u hear is the clutch sticking (magnet on!) on to the spinning pulley to spin the compressor to work your a/c.

Sometimes for whatever reason these two get too close and may rub, hence cause the noise you're hearing even when the a/c is off.

Remember tho, this is just a guess, your mechanic should be able to check to confirm like jimmyae101 mentioned. could be a problem with the compressor itself...?

cheers! :burnout:
How much does this cost? i oso facing same issue... :bawling:

sweelt

2,000 RPM

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Borrow this thread.
My problem is almost same but screeching sound when step on the throttle + same time AC compressor kick in.
Let off throttle, or idling no sound while AC compressor ON/OFF.
Any suggestion where to start. Bearing, clutch, belting ? i think not emergency case yet. :nurse:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Borrow this thread.
My problem is almost same but screeching sound when step on the throttle + same time AC compressor kick in.
Any suggestion where to start. Bearing, clutch, belting ? i think not emergency case yet. :nurse:
I suggest check the belt first, usually already brittle or loose hence not gripping properly and sometimes sliding on the pulley, making that screeching noise.

pac_jb

Known Member

pac_jb

Known Member
Feb 28, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Hey guys,

Wondering if any of you have experienced this before. When I turn my air con on there is a sort of whirring/ grinding sound coming from around the middle of the engine bay, more towards the drivers side. It's quite bad and I can feel the whole car vibrating when it happens.

Now it sometimes happens with the air con off as well, but only once every 30 mins or so, for about 2 mins. But it will def be there when the air con is on and stops immediately when I switch the air con off.

It definitely sounds and feels like a rotating part, kind of like a loose fan sound. Definitely not my radiator fan though.

I've been told it may be a loose part in my clutch or something along those lines but wanted to get a few of your opinions first before pulling the clutch out.

Thanks in advance :D
I had the same problem last time , it was the Aircond compressor bearing, I changed last time around rm80, the sound disappeared but after one month, the compressor Kong, end up changing the whole compressor, if your compressor is more Then 10 years , changing the compressor itself will be better.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Borrow this thread.
Agree with bro. 6UE5t. check the belt first. Since the sound comes under load, means either the belt is loose or the belt harden and have no grip....:driver:

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

As you can see from the heavily shrouded example of what looks to be the latest Mitsubishi Mirage, currently being sold in the Thailand market, we were lucky to spot this test vehicle at the Saujana area that was about to be towed back to Mitsubishi HQ...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience