Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoodooEx

Known Member
Feb 24, 2016
Johor Bahru
My car doesn't come with one. It only come with a repair kit. I prefer this way actually.

But my bro is asking me to just carry 1 just in case for those ulu places that you might have to wait up to 3 hours for road side assistance.

Do you carry a spare tyre? How about change to a run-flat tyres?

Attachments

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
Old car carries replacement spare tyre, like mine...

New cars carries space-saver tyre....but might not be able to drive the car a high speed due to limitation of space saver tyre. Need to repair the punctured one eventually. Repair kit can be another answer but the kit can do only so much, with questionable reliability of the repaired tyre.

Supercar or luxury carries RFT, many says cannot tampal (but some manufacturers are beginning to say such tyres can be repaired, but depends on damage sustained, and only applies to newer gen RFT) ....RFT cost a bomb, even rich dude sakit hati for RFT replacement. Not all shop carries such tyres and the spec.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Repair kits can patch small puncture. If you run on a flat tyre the damage can be pretty bad, like sidewall damage and those damages, repair kit cannot repair.
You can either use Runflat or those Conti seal. Runflat better as they can hold the car up even without air. Conti seal repairs the puncture immediately but if you curb the tyres conti seal cannot repair bigger damages and these tyres are really expensive

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
yeah....depends on the damage and where the damaged done.

My colleague last week had his car kerbed the concrete plinth, at slow speed only....but at the worst angle possible. The damage was so bad, the tyre side wall torn, showing the reinforcement, while the rim cracked....Instantly the tyre went flat. Double whamy...

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
My car doesn't come with one. It only come with a repair kit. I prefer this way actually.

But my bro is asking me to just carry 1 just in case for those ulu places that you might have to wait up to 3 hours for road side assistance.

Do you carry a spare tyre? How about change to a run-flat tyres?
I do carry a spare, but will admit i have a few things.
One, its 20 years old, so i dont think its the most brilliant idea to even try it and two, the spare tyre cant fit onto the car anymore so... its there cause its jdm and it is basically acting as part of the car's structure

so yes i carry a spare, but the spare is not usable (yes im clever that way)

kUmUcHaI 11/1

500 RPM
Feb 28, 2010
JB - KL
You have worries that's y you ask.
Carry one save you one day.
No one want to wait alone middle of the night, or maybe in a long stretch holiday somemore that going to cause you a bomb require someone to.fix it for you.

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I'm anti run-flats. They have poor grip, noisy, expensive, and did I say expensive?

In that Merc of yours, I'd rather you get a space saver. If possible those self-inflatable types like the one found in the Cayenne

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
I do carry a spare, but will admit i have a few things.
One, its 20 years old, so i dont think its the most brilliant idea to even try it and two, the spare tyre cant fit onto the car anymore so... its there cause its jdm and it is basically acting as part of the car's structure

so yes i carry a spare, but the spare is not usable (yes im clever that way)
Why the spare cannot fit?

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
You have worries that's y you ask.
Carry one save you one day.
No one want to wait alone middle of the night, or maybe in a long stretch holiday somemore that going to cause you a bomb require someone to.fix it for you.
This is real story. Many years back, One of my ex Japanese Manager was given a Wira as company car. He went outstation and was on his way back, and already almost mid night. His left rear tyre some how jam and cannot turn. Don't know who to call and stuck in middle of nowhere (since he Jap and not familiar) so he got in start the car and continue driving. As the rear is jam the tyres were screeching away until it worn down and burst. Then he was running on his rim. He must have driven with sparks coming out his rear wheels. He finally reached home. Next morning he called the office and we sent some one over to check. He got 3/4 of the rims left......hhhahahhahah:rofl:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Why the spare cannot fit?
erm.... 2 reasons...
1)current rims are terrible, need to pasang adapters to fit.....
2)front brakes abit too besar, cannot clear calliper

actually technically speaking, if i did want to have a working spare, i could, but its not worth my effort...

- change back wheels will require me to
a)remove back wheel (8 lugs)
b)remove adapter (5 lugs)
c)pasang spare (5 lugs)
so total amount of screwing is 8+5+5=18 (this is still doable)

-change front wheels will require me to
a)remove (any) back wheel (8 lugs)
b)remove back wheel adapter (5 lugs)
c)pasang spare (5 lugs)
d)remove said front wheel (8 lugs)
e)pasang back wheel onto front wheel(8 lugs)
so total amount of screwing is 8+5+5+8+8=34 :banghead: i will probably die first :saint:

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
I'm anti run-flats. They have poor grip, noisy, expensive, and did I say expensive?

In that Merc of yours, I'd rather you get a space saver. If possible those self-inflatable types like the one found in the Cayenne
But stock RE070R for GT-R are run-flats.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
erm.... 2 reasons...
1)current rims are terrible, need to pasang adapters to fit.....
2)front brakes abit too besar, cannot clear calliper

actually technically speaking, if i did want to have a working spare, i could, but its not worth my effort...

- change back wheels will require me to
a)remove back wheel (8 lugs)
b)remove adapter (5 lugs)
c)pasang spare (5 lugs)
so total amount of screwing is 8+5+5=18 (this is still doable)

-change front wheels will require me to
a)remove (any) back wheel (8 lugs)
b)remove back wheel adapter (5 lugs)
c)pasang spare (5 lugs)
d)remove said front wheel (8 lugs)
e)pasang back wheel onto front wheel(8 lugs)
so total amount of screwing is 8+5+5+8+8=34 :banghead: i will probably die first :saint:
Oh! so actually you need a bigger spare wheel.....lol

Mine even though 14" to 17" and front having 2 pot calipers, spare can still go in. My spare tyre is still the original one from day one so it is coming 26 years old....:smokin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
Oh! so actually you need a bigger spare wheel.....lol

Mine even though 14" to 17" and front having 2 pot calipers, spare can still go in. My spare tyre is still the original one from day one so it is coming 26 years old....:smokin:
my spare is the skinny type.... langsung cannot clear the front brakes.....
i found that subaru/evo spares weightsavers can clear the brakes (the midsections of those look pregnant) BUT it wont fit the spare wheel well!!:banghead: boot only ade space for the stock skinny set~~

**actually.... now i think about it, i could just get a big fat spacer...:hmmmm:

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
For the last year or so I just don't carry a spare tire anymore for daily drive around KL for the reasons below:
1. I have never used it. Roads in Malaysia, at least around Klang Valley are pretty good. After driving for several years here, I only had 2 times tire punctured by a nail, 1 for each car. So as you know tubeless tires will just slowly loose air pressure with such puncture. Therefore there's no need for immediate replacement on the spot, I can still drive and top up the air until I got the chance to fix the tire later.
2. It saves weight, over 20kg.
3. My spare cannot fit my front coz I've used 4 pot calipers. Actually the spare can still be used if really needed but I need to use it at the rear and then switch the rear tire to the front if the front is damaged. But again since this never happened, I thought just leave the spare home.
4. if the worse thing happen in KL, I'll just park the car somewhere and wait for my wife to bring me the spare tire. :D

I would only carry the spare if I need to drive outstation as precaution.