Old School Cars Discussion

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Lately I got interested in old school cars made in 1970s. Thought of starting a thread to discuss about these cars. Can be stories, own experience, discussion, photos or anything related to these old cars.

Let me start with this for the thread. Do you think that it is still possible to find a KE25/TE25/TE27 Corolla Coupe in Malaysia nowadays? Probably TE27 is almost impossible since that one is the highest spec Corolla Levin. Not KE20 2 door, but the coupe version of KE20.

Here is how they look like from rear.

Front pic

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
these cars are like unicorn.....However, if one like oldskool, KE70 is a good candidate.....plenty of parts, and compatible with lots of parts from other model.

price wise, depends on willing seller, willing buyer sort of thing...

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
if you ask if you can find one... im sure you can.... question is if you have the money and can get the owner to sell it or if you have the money/time to save it!

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
My dad had the KE20 2 door version.....lol
They may look alike, and even has 2 doors,
but the TE25/TE27 Corolla has different heart......the famous, (almost) bullet proof 2TG engine.

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
these cars are like unicorn.....However, if one like oldskool, KE70 is a good candidate.....plenty of parts, and compatible with lots of parts from other model.

price wise, depends on willing seller, willing buyer sort of thing...
KE70 is a good car to mod, but in this case, I'm more attracted towards the unique design and styling of this KE25/TE27. It has a bit of that coke bottle styling to it like TA22 or TA28 Celica or those American muscle cars. Late 70s and early 80s cars like KE70 looks very squarish.

if you ask if you can find one... im sure you can.... question is if you have the money and can get the owner to sell it or if you have the money/time to save it!
More like trying to find one that is not owned by someone who had restored it. Those restored ones cost too much and the history of the restoration work may be unknown to you.

Not sure still can find those that is still stock and old, probably driven by old uncle. But that also means a lot of money is needed to restore it.

My dad had the KE20 2 door version.....lol
2 door sedan? Sedan and coupe differs in rear quarter part and rear lamps...

They may look alike, and even has 2 doors,
but the TE25/TE27 Corolla has different heart......the famous, (almost) bullet proof 2TG engine.
2TG is for Levin or Trueno spec. Almost impossible to find over here considering not many people can afford real sports car back then. Unless imported here later on.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
Some old skool cars look very nice after fully restored. Question is how much owner willing to spend. I have seen few projects like ke70 and e30. Restoration cost alone easily 15k-20k. With some after market mods, it can touch 30k mark and that's not the end.

Recently I have visited few body shops to get quote for my A31 because the floor pan and underneath front both doors have rust. I remember one shop in Pj old town just behind Ford near federal highway. Many rare old skool and supercars there. Boss bring me walk around and show some of his works. A classic mini(Mr bean version) full body restored already cost 12k. Then another coupe Aston Martin classic(duno what model) full body done cost about 25k. I was like wtf!!! seriously.

Better think x10 whether want to start a project or not. Else half way waste effort and money.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Restored body work only??
Still not include engine and mechanical parts.
Fuhhh.....sweating. lol...

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
hmm why not a german :wink: a e30, or w115 would be nice.. though am not sure how much it would cost to get it nice and pretty....

for a clasic jap, dont think you really have that many choices (i mean if you want to keep things affordable)
http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+Corolla+Coupe+2+Doors+-50467591.htm
http://www.mudah.my/Toyota+Ke70+Corolla+1+3+M+-50453566.htm
I'm more into JDM than conti old cars. Conti cars harder to get parts also.

The KE30 2 door is nice but KE70 feels a bit overpriced at RM16k. It says Toyota 4k engine. If it is using 4A-GE swap, then this price seems okay but too bad it isn't.

Sedan, but later change to Datsun 120Y 4 door.......lol
Which 120Y? B210 or B310?

Some old skool cars look very nice after fully restored. Question is how much owner willing to spend. I have seen few projects like ke70 and e30. Restoration cost alone easily 15k-20k. With some after market mods, it can touch 30k mark and that's not the end.

Recently I have visited few body shops to get quote for my A31 because the floor pan and underneath front both doors have rust. I remember one shop in Pj old town just behind Ford near federal highway. Many rare old skool and supercars there. Boss bring me walk around and show some of his works. A classic mini(Mr bean version) full body restored already cost 12k. Then another coupe Aston Martin classic(duno what model) full body done cost about 25k. I was like wtf!!! seriously.

Better think x10 whether want to start a project or not. Else half way waste effort and money.
I think if really want to start of a good restoration project, need to expect an amount like RM40-RM50k for it. Takes a lot of time to save up to such amount. But the end result should be really good with that amount of money spent I guess?

Restored body work only??
Still not include engine and mechanical parts.
Fuhhh.....sweating. lol...
For reliability, I would prefer swapping newer engine and mechanical parts to it like stuffs from 90s such as 4A-GE engine with EFI. But such conversion might affect the value of the car since it is not using fully original parts. Old carb engines might be difficult to source spare parts or difficult to find anyone with good skills to tune the carburetors.

esthapo

Trail Bomber
Mar 31, 2006
Sister'sBedroom
I would love to build an E30 M3 or 190E Evo 2 at backyard with my boys....but as many other sifus pointed out edi, I'll just keep on dreaming till I die with current economics LOL :banghead:

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh
I think if really want to start of a good restoration project, need to expect an amount like RM40-RM50k for it. Takes a lot of time to save up to such amount. But the end result should be really good with that amount of money spent I guess?
My A31 comes with RB20. So far engine is smooth but can see leaking in few areas. Rough calculation body rust fix + repaint, full engine rebuild and suspension bushes replacement will be around 15k. If your project car has a lot of rust area and not in running condition, better prepare at least 20k first. Bodywork repair may take quite a while maybe 3 to 6 month due to cutting and welding depend on workshop load. Good thing is you can pay the them in monthly basis until work is done. If it take 8 month and total repair is 10k, so monthly is around 1.3k.

Best approach is avoid rusty car. Paint fade or damage is very cheap to repaint in and out. Engine not in running condition can always replace with newer unit like you have mentioned unless you want to stick with ori. Most people abandoned their project because spent so much already and yet car still lying in workshop. This will demoralize the owner.

hon_cs

Known Member
Jan 23, 2004
Ipoh

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
My A31 comes with RB20. So far engine is smooth but can see leaking in few areas. Rough calculation body rust fix + repaint, full engine rebuild and suspension bushes replacement will be around 15k. If your project car has a lot of rust area and not in running condition, better prepare at least 20k first. Bodywork repair may take quite a while maybe 3 to 6 month due to cutting and welding depend on workshop load. Good thing is you can pay the them in monthly basis until work is done. If it take 8 month and total repair is 10k, so monthly is around 1.3k.

Best approach is avoid rusty car. Paint fade or damage is very cheap to repaint in and out. Engine not in running condition can always replace with newer unit like you have mentioned unless you want to stick with ori. Most people abandoned their project because spent so much already and yet car still lying in workshop. This will demoralize the owner.
Oh, din't know can pay by monthly basis. Actually thought is like paying at one go or pay deposit first.

Rust problem is hard to avoid in old cars. There is bound to be rust somewhere but probably need to look on how severe it is. I've seen before pictures of old cars with rust that is as bad as a whole piece of steel is missing like on the undercarriage or on the lower part of the door. Is it legal by JPJ standards to weld back a new piece of steel on these parts?

I think at least must expect half a year to a year waiting time for a good restoration on these old cars. As the saying goes, good things are worth the wait.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

The self-styled world cup of motorsports, the A1GP, had a decent formula that could have seen it reach that status had the spec-racing series stuck around longer. It pitted national teams against each other with identical Ferrari-powered chassis on circuits all around the world. Nonetheless, financial turmoil never really left the series and it was liquidated at the end of the 2009 season.

Since the series...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience