weekend / long distance car

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Hello,

been thinking of getting another car, 2nd hand.

mainly use for weekend or long distance, no more turbo.
looking for comfort and safety, with decent power on highway.
Petrol not an issue, no V6 as already tried before.
Must be easy to maintain
Between 1.7 to 2.5

just a topic to get some thoughts going.

Budget around 50K or lesser, did consider a few models such as:
C200; hearsay its comfortable but maintenance is a pain.
accord, Gen 7, the price is less than 30K.
no Alphard or similar model etc, only 3 pax at most.

or i just buy a bezza and use for long distance?
RM50K for a brand new car with warranty, just kinda under powered :biggrin:

Last edited:

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
If you don't mind it being old, I recommend you a Merc W124. Built like a tank, rather easy to work on as compared to the recent mers, very good to drive even on B-Roads and very comfortable for long distance travel.

Had one before which had been with my family for more than a decade, one of the best cars I've owned and it was a great all rounder.

Get the E280 for the power, or even better if you can find an E320 (super rare). But the only downside is the tax...

I have no experience on the W210 (after W124, same gen as the W203 C class) but I've told its less reliable than the W124.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
If you don't mind it being old, I recommend you a Merc W124. Built like a tank, rather easy to work on as compared to the recent mers, very good to drive even on B-Roads and very comfortable for long distance travel.

Had one before which had been with my family for more than a decade, one of the best cars I've owned and it was a great all rounder.

Get the E280 for the power, or even better if you can find an E320 (super rare). But the only downside is the tax...

I have no experience on the W210 (after W124, same gen as the W203 C class) but I've told its less reliable than the W124.
Agree, the Volvo 940 is also another good buy. very bulky and comfortable.

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor

i dont mind but it must really last and easy to maintain.

W124, it's around the same age as my perdana which is giving me headache.

W124 is cheap, less than RM20k

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Inspira

- Still not too old
- Comes with 4B10 or 4B11 engine with MIVEC on both intake and exhaust side
- Using Mitsubishi's RISE body system which is quite for safety
- If anything broke down, you can still buy original parts from Mitsubishi
- Can fit in many of Evo X's parts if you want to mod it someday

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
i dont mind but it must really last and easy to maintain.

W124, it's around the same age as my perdana which is giving me headache.

W124 is cheap, less than RM20k
If the car is really in superb condition, well according to my experience, it won't be giving you any headache. Preventive maintenance is very important too.

My family had the car for around 12 years and done about 250k, all they did was usual wear & tear and nothing major. Sold it back in 2010 and to this day, I regretted letting them sell the car.

Yes it is and you can have the extra for replacing any parts that needed to be change.

Tbh the tricky part is finding a well maintained car.

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
Inspira

- Still not too old
- Comes with 4B10 or 4B11 engine with MIVEC on both intake and exhaust side
- Using Mitsubishi's RISE body system which is quite for safety
- If anything broke down, you can still buy original parts from Mitsubishi
- Can fit in many of Evo X's parts if you want to mod it someday
inspira,

seems that this car is still very popular, i have actually google about it.
A lot of users are still recommending inspira for long distance drive.

marsha1l_v6

500 RPM
Aug 1, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
that car really put a toll on you eh?

why not go for galant vrg? maintanence can use back perdana part most of it..

or sell that engine and plonk in NA 4g63 or sei engine..

e36 not bad too..

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
If the car is really in superb condition, well according to my experience, it won't be giving you any headache. Preventive maintenance is very important too.

My family had the car for around 12 years and done about 250k, all they did was usual wear & tear and nothing major. Sold it back in 2010 and to this day, I regretted letting them sell the car.

Yes it is and you can have the extra for replacing any parts that needed to be change.

Tbh the tricky part is finding a well maintained car.
yeah, buying a 2nd hand always has this issue.

A friend of mine, he actually has a W126, condition is good as he had repaired them.
only left the gearbox for now.

selling for only RM10K but the road tax is kinda crazy.. Rm 2.1K per year
he was saying a few more years, it could be converted to classic.
any idea how does classic car actually works.

alcyon

500 RPM
Sep 13, 2015
Kuala Lumpur
yeah, buying a 2nd hand always has this issue.

A friend of mine, he actually has a W126, condition is good as he had repaired them.
only left the gearbox for now.

selling for only RM10K but the road tax is kinda crazy.. Rm 2.1K per year
he was saying a few more years, it could be converted to classic.
any idea how does classic car actually works.
http://www.jpj.gov.my/web/eng/guidelines-on-status-of-vintage/classic-cars
Seems like a lot of hassles. If you have more than 2 other cars then ok..

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Hello,

been thinking of getting another car, 2nd hand.

mainly use for weekend or long distance, no more turbo.
looking for comfort and safety, with decent power on highway.
Petrol not an issue, no V6 as already tried before.
Must be easy to maintain
Between 1.7 to 2.5

just a topic to get some thoughts going.

Budget around 50K or lesser, did consider a few models such as:
C200; hearsay its comfortable but maintenance is a pain.
accord, Gen 7, the price is less than 30K.
no Alphard or similar model etc, only 3 pax at most.

or i just buy a bezza and use for long distance?
RM50K for a brand new car with warranty, just kinda under powered :biggrin:
The C200's 1.8K engine isn't very suitable for highway cruising, its not very powerful and somewhat lethargic.

Accord? Forget about it. Japanese vs continental, the continental will give a better ride on highways. Especially the Germans.

Bezza? The rear bench seat is like an upright wall. It's gonna suck, and the car is not very planted for highway driving. A Ford Ranger speeding past you will make you feel like being blown off the road. Proton Persona is better.

Inspira / Lancer - the car is noisy on the highway as the wheel well noise intrusion is crazy mad.

Volvo - good cars, but the spare part prices in Malaysia is way higher than the equivalent BMW & Mercedes. If you are serious considering Volvo (due to expensive parts).. may I suggest hunting down an Alfa Romeo 159, at least you have more novelty.

As your budget is RM50k, I would recommend a BMW 5 series, E39 generation, 525i 2.5L
https://www.mudah.my/2004+BMW+525i+2+5+A+1+oner+nelopa-59448913.htm

RM14k to buy (please make sure engine & gearbox is sound), and put aside RM30k to fix - more than enough.

2.5L is your requirement. I would instead genuinely recommend the 530i 3L engine.
https://www.mudah.my/BMW+530i+E39+M+SPORT+LOCAL+3+0+A+LIKE+NEW+1+OWNER-59998630.htm

it's only 7k more than the 525i.

kurt_629

500 RPM
May 2, 2013
johor
As your budget is RM50k, I would recommend a BMW 5 series, E39 generation, 525i 2.5L

RM14k to buy (please make sure engine & gearbox is sound), and put aside RM30k to fix - more than enough.

2.5L is your requirement. I would instead genuinely recommend the 530i 3L engine.
https://www.mudah.my/BMW+530i+E39+M+SPORT+LOCAL+3+0+A+LIKE+NEW+1+OWNER-59998630.htm

if a BMW with 1JZ or 2JZ heart , :biggrin:
I notice the conversion is very popular in KL
but differently in JB.

anymore other options?

s.marz

Known Member
Aug 10, 2016
Kuala Lumpur
The C200's 1.8K engine isn't very suitable for highway cruising, its not very powerful and somewhat lethargic.

Accord? Forget about it. Japanese vs continental, the continental will give a better ride on highways. Especially the Germans.

Bezza? The rear bench seat is like an upright wall. It's gonna suck, and the car is not very planted for highway driving. A Ford Ranger speeding past you will make you feel like being blown off the road. Proton Persona is better.

Inspira / Lancer - the car is noisy on the highway as the wheel well noise intrusion is crazy mad.

Volvo - good cars, but the spare part prices in Malaysia is way higher than the equivalent BMW & Mercedes. If you are serious considering Volvo (due to expensive parts).. may I suggest hunting down an Alfa Romeo 159, at least you have more novelty.

Isn't that era well known for its VANOS issue? My mechanic told me to better stay away because of that technology...