Wastegate Explained.

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
Wastegates - Facts and Fiction

With so many contradicting opinions and recommendations, it’s a little wonder choosing the right Wastegate for your application can be a confusing.
We try to disspell some myths and shed some light on the most common misconceptions regarding wastegates.

TRUE OR FALSE
*The more powerful the engine, the bigger the
wastegate you need.*
False. This is one of the more popular misconceptions. A wastegate is possibly the only component in your whole engine package that can actually be made smaller as you increase your boost/horsepower output. Use this simple guide:
Big Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate
Big Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
Small Turbo/High Boost = Smaller Wastegate
Small Turbo/Low Boost = Bigger Wastegate

Wastegates don’t operate in high temperatures.
False. Contrary to the popular belief, external wastegates are usually mounted at the hottest part of the exhaust. It’s the place where all the exhaust gases meet, creating extra heat. This, combined with the late combustion of unburnt fuel (due to rich mixtures, retarded timing and high octane fuels) significantly raises the exhaust temperature.

Larger wastegate valve diameter = better flow.
True – sort of. While the valve diameter is without a doubt an important part of the flow rate, equally important, but often misunderstood, is the importance of the flow path. When comparing wastegates with similar valve size, it is important to have a balanced body/valve/spring combination that is designed to work together to allow for maximum boost control. All Turbosmart wastegates are designed with this in mind.

(*article courtesy of Turbosmart) :smokin:

renxun

1,000 RPM
Jul 4, 2006
But.... do enlight me if im wrong... i guess there will be other factor for my situation too...

my 50mm and my 44mm trust unable to regulate and give me a stable boost building and boost hold when i set my boost anything above 1.5bar...it will creep

my 50mm turbosmart progate 50mm... can give me very good boost control even at above 1.5bar... no creeping

could it be matter of design? or the fact of the reasoning of big , small wastegate?

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
i guess anything above 1 bar is considered high boost
I read it from some Taiwanese magazine. Anything equivalent or higher than 0.7 bars is consider high boost.

I guess that's also the separation point between high pressure/low pressure turbo.

NFS

500 RPM
Nov 18, 2003
shudn't high or low boost depends on the turbo size ...

that's what i thought ...

speed2horizon

2,000 RPM
Jun 4, 2006
Aiyo.....
T.T

Turbo size determines how high u want to boost... But now ppl are asking at what boost level begins to consider high boost.

Back to ur question. maximum efficient boost depends on the turbo size. Boost depends on wastegate or actuator. I can have a big turbine, but using tial 38mm external wastegate with 0.4bar spring. I'll still boost at 0.4 bars....

SKYBLUEV6

Known Member
Aug 15, 2005
K.L
if 1 bar spring so i can stand to 1 bar boost?

Bump: if 1 bar spring so i can stand to 1 bar boost?

rakesh_v6

Mar 31, 2006
KL
im using TDO5,changed my cam to HKS standard degree and crankshaft HKS attached with haltech ecu..boosting at 1.2 bar...does it make sense sifus

need advice

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
rakesh..wrong thread to ask and the what is the question ? it doesn't tie in.

this thread is about Wastegates.

SDF

missing her so much
Nov 19, 2003
KL, Malaysia
lowest boost = 7psi (0.5bar)
highest boost = 28psi (2bar) without boost controller

If you run an electronic boost controller.. the wastegate will alter according to the preset level.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi all sifu and member,

i have vios 2011 model that is with ori exhausr stock, now i plan to modified the exhaust with low noise and pickup and end energier more better for fc, so what is agak agak price and ok lah the material piping as my budjet not more that rm800, plan change ori stock i think is 4-2-1 one
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience