Mazda 3 2.0L Skyactiv

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
What I mean in good FC is not comparing between auto and manual variant like the cars of the older days. I mean, I want a normal modern manual transmission car with good fc. If it is a performance car, the fc won't be that good. If I want a normal car, most of the time I can't get a manual option over here.

I would like something like this as a daily car but it seems not possible to get one over here.
Aha, we're in the same boat bro. The thing is, people here are getting lazier by the day. I had driven all sorts of 'auto' transmission, normal autos including newer ones with many ratios, CVTs, wet and dry DCTs etc (except those in Porsches and Ferraris), none of them offer the same experience as manual gearbox. But as some of us said, the market for manual cars has shrink to the point that it just doesn't make good business sense anymore for car brands to market them here. It's sad, really.

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Aha, we're in the same boat bro. The thing is, people here are getting lazier by the day. I had driven all sorts of 'auto' transmission, normal autos including newer ones with many ratios, CVTs, wet and dry DCTs etc (except those in Porsches and Ferraris), none of them offer the same experience as manual gearbox. But as some of us said, the market for manual cars has shrink to the point that it just doesn't make good business sense anymore for car brands to market them here. It's sad, really.
DSG no give you manual "feel"? It is simply an automated manual after all, the clutches are there, just more of them. It just shifts faster than you ever can with a stick. Its like, a manual gearbox with a stick that shifts itself.

If you haven't watched it already. Keiichi is entertaining as usual.
https://youtu.be/X4HpD5K6Qws

Last edited:

g4i8y0t

1,000 RPM
Aug 5, 2010
Kedah
Nope. I think you missed the point ixeo, it's not about shifting faster, it's about shifting feel :biggrin:. I just love the mechanical feel of depressing the clutch pedal, slotting the gear through the gates and releasing the clutch while judging the biting point, then flooring the throttle again, gear after gear. Also, THAT feeling, the satisfaction that I get after executing a neat heel-and-toe is intoxicating. Just like eating a tasty meal, eating it yourself is more rewarding than a having other person putting it in your mouth. The taste is still the same. I don't really know how to describe the feeling. These are among the little things that I enjoy in my life at the moment. But well, one man's meat is another man's poison I guess.

Last edited:

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
Sylphy is for those who just want comfort and don't care much about anything else.
Rub it in la bugger. RRRRUUUUUUUUBBBB ITTTT INNNNNN :thefinger:

Maybe people scare of old Sylphy. new one cannot sell dy......lol
Actually not really. The G11 model actually has less problems compared to the newer B17 for some reason.

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Test drove the Mazda 3 with G-Vectoring control...I can't tell any significant difference cause I did not test against a non-GVC M3. The engine is very rev happy, very. And the gearbox matches well with it. Floor the damn thing it downshifts aggressively very quickly, and the engine just happily climb the RPMs.

It doesn't feel slow when you floor it, at normal commuting speeds it feels powerful enough to puff along. The driver position is great. Steering is 5 stars, did I mention the seat is good? (Limpeh's boat got Recaro ok, so this is high praise). Full tilt and telescopic steering. I've spent extended time in the F30...and comparing to this Mazda 3 cockpit on the driver side, don't feel anything lacking versus the F30, except the badge. Yes the F30 8 speed ZF is superior, but the Skyactiv engine and gearbox is not lousy, just not-as-great as the 8 speed ZF. (Yalar yalar limpeh rave a lot about the 8 speed ZF, niaseng go drive it then you know why.)

I like.

I see sticker price, I walk away. Me poor. *goes back to boat*
Did you try the semi auto mode/paddle shift? If so, how was it?

6UE5t

6,000 RPM
Oct 8, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
Rub it in la bugger. RRRRUUUUUUUUBBBB ITTTT INNNNNN :thefinger:

Actually not really. The G11 model actually has less problems compared to the newer B17 for some reason.
Whahaha, sorry bro, did not mean to do that actually. :biggrin: Comfort is a good thing though, seriously.

vr2turbo

Beyond 20,000 RPM!
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
My ex colleague one was G11 also. CVT overheat, claim whole gb, but later less than a year same problem, then he faster sell.....lol:biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
Nope. I think you missed the point ixeo, it's not about shifting faster, it's about shifting feel :biggrin:. I just love the mechanical feel of depressing the clutch pedal, slotting the gear through the gates and releasing the clutch while judging the biting point, then flooring the throttle again, gear after gear. Also, THAT feeling, the satisfaction that I get after executing a neat heel-and-toe is intoxicating. Just like eating a tasty meal, eating it yourself is more rewarding than a having other person putting it in your mouth. The taste is still the same. I don't really know how to describe the feeling. These are among the little things that I enjoy in my life at the moment. But well, one man's meat is another man's poison I guess.
More accurately, you enjoy the pleasure of driving it yourself, shifting it yourself. Interacting with the car. Rubbing a stick, and pushing it into gear while depressing the clutch. I prefer rubbing boobs, but that's me, driving an automatic allows me to do so since I don't have to keep rubbing a stick.

Depends what I am eating la. If I am eating grapes, I prefer having a babe in bikini peeling it and feeding me, versus me eating it myself. But if eat KFC I prefer to eat it myself and lick my own fingers.

That's why if I were to ever own a Lotus, it'll be a stick. 99% of the girls don't really want to be in a Lotus. I wouldn't want to daily drive a Lotus as well. But most other cars, I'd probably go with automatic due to my daily commuting needs.

Did you try the semi auto mode/paddle shift? If so, how was it?
Yes, I did, but I feel it was unnecessary, if you want to hold gears the new Mazda 3 GVC model got a sports model toggle, and if you toggle it, the car will keep it in high RPMs (peak power band). If you floor it, it downshifts very quickly for you.

Frankly speaking, the car designers these days are very smart. They don't give you what you want, they give you what you need with some of the elements that you want. Mazda 3 is a passenger car first, sports car second. For those who wanna be "sporty" but need the practicality.

But HONESTLY, manual cars will eventually die out. Cause the younger generation will not have any exposure to it, and gearboxes like the ZF 8 speed exists. Plus with the move to EV, it won't have any gearbox anyway.

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

D1 GRAND PRIX MALAYSIA PREVIEW
D1 GRAND PRIX MALAYSIA PREVIEW - Bukit Jalil Stadium Kuala Lumpur

Words: R3

The D1GP series made popular by the iconic Japanese comic Initial D has a cult like following in both Japan and America. For 2006, Malaysia...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience