What Is Good? Larger Or Smaller Spark Plug Gap?

saadi123

Jun 5, 2009
Karachi
carz4mod.blogspot.com
Does any one knows that if two identical cars having same features are taken.Only there spark plug gaps are changed. So which one will perform well. The one with larger or smaller gap?

SkYwAlKeR

Over 10,000 RPM!
Mar 12, 2005
ePoh ~ malacca
Visit site
the OPTIMUM gap one wins...

larger gap gives larger stronger spark but less efficient... u'll sometimes experience misfiring...

smaller gap reduces chance of misfiring... but smaller spark with less combustion efficiency...

hachiroku clan

500 RPM
Oct 16, 2008
In laymans terms,
larger gaps: big but weak spark
smaller gaps: strong but covers only in a small area.
U need something in the middle, better stick to the manual, dont temper with it..

donCityZ

2,000 RPM
Feb 8, 2006
Follow car spec la... if u havent done anything to your engine, then there is no reason to change the gap. the manufacturer already study kaw kaw to make it optimum for u. why change?

tofu_manic

1,000 RPM
Jan 11, 2007
"Always check that the spark plug gap is compatible with the engine manufacturers specification. A gap that is too small means that the spark duration will be very quick and the spark will be thin and weak. The consequences of this may be bad starting and high exhaust emission levels. This will result in an increase in fuel consumption. If the gap is set too large, the ignition system will not be able to cope with the demands and a misfire situation will occur. Some wide gap spark plugs have a longer ground electrode to accommodate a wide gap setting. These must be used where specified, as opening up a standard plug to a wider gap setting may result in the electrodes not running parallel to each other. This could result in abnormal and premature electrode wear." - from NGK site

anyways, u could try to open up the gap, mm by mm till u start experiencing misfires, trial n error hehe

OR go for a larger ignition coil + capacitive discharge ignition (e.g. msd 6a) then u can afford to make the gap larger

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

hi guys.. i have heard of these gadgets about those exhaust that spit fire..
and i know that roughly all u need is a spark plug and some wires and a switch.
but other than that.. i dont know how its done.. can anyone help me out about this?
plannign to diy this thing..
thanx a mill.
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience