How to Detail your Engine Bay (Basic)

vr2turbo

((( God Level 30,000 RPM )))
Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
How to detail engine bay by ourself?
Depends on what car and what you want to do?
If the car ECU is in engine compartment, have to be very careful. Best is to wrapped it up properly if you need to de-grease and wash with water hose. Plugs/cable and distributor too.

Use de-grease spray let it sit a while. For heavily soiled area, probably you need a brush to loosen the dirt. Wash with water.
Let dry or wipe dry with cloth. For plastic areas, black stuff especially, you can apply the non stick dash board liquid to shine up the engine.

Let me see if I can find some pictures....

Before

After

Before

After

The above is home DIY only.
The pros probably have better method and better finish.....:adore:

Last edited:

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Many project in mind now. Clean engine bay. Paint engine head cover as i read from diff thread.
Nice DIY. Not so worry about head cover painting (might install OCT too in the process)
Uncle VR, :biggrin:, so, need to disconnect battery terminals when clean engine bay ? Really worry of short circuits. Fuse box, alternator, check wiring...etc. I mean precautious measure before hell break loose. :adore:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Many project in mind now. Clean engine bay. Paint engine head cover as i read from diff thread.
Nice DIY. Not so worry about head cover painting (might install OCT too in the process)
Uncle VR, :biggrin:, so, need to disconnect battery terminals when clean engine bay ? Really worry of short circuits. Fuse box, alternator, check wiring...etc. I mean precautious measure before hell break loose. :adore:
No need remove battery terminal, Fuse box covered, alternator no problem. Only check is ECU located in engine compartment. If no, then no problem. If yes, then you need to protect that. Cover nicely make sure water don't get to it....:smokin:

lsm1991

1,000 RPM
Sep 30, 2011
PJ
No need remove battery terminal, Fuse box covered, alternator no problem. Only check is ECU located in engine compartment. If no, then no problem. If yes, then you need to protect that. Cover nicely make sure water don't get to it....:smokin:
from what i hear.... be careful round the cables as well.... especially if you are using a high pressure spray

Jac83

Known Member
Apr 29, 2007
From my 'trial and error' experience, before start spraying any water on your engine make sure u covered the 'exposed' wiring if any(many wiring running around exposed in older engine i.e. distributor), ballast and relay if u have hid system for your lighting.

Also if your spark plugs are on top of the engine i.e. b20 engine, cover it as well unless u have an air compressor standing by to blow out the water seeping into the spark plug holes.

The rest i believe is pretty much covered by others.

sweelt

2,000 RPM
Nov 6, 2016
Penang
Ya also, my 93t old engine. Many sockets, like expose.
Need some times to prep it before do cleaning.

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
saw some videos in youtube. Seems like japanese cars wont have much problem with engine bay jet-washing, provided some proper covers of vital components....

Continental cars, have to be very careful though. The car might not start after engine bay wash.....and RM will fly away....

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
saw some videos in youtube. Seems like japanese cars wont have much problem with engine bay jet-washing, provided some proper covers of vital components....

Continental cars, have to be very careful though. The car might not start after engine bay wash.....and RM will fly away....:bawling:

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya

Continental cars, have to be very careful though. The car might not start after engine bay wash.....and RM will fly away....
Yup, My VR, Hyundai (Mitsu Base) an even my Chery, I just wash and spray water all over. No cover anything. Hyundai have old spinning distributor, That need to open and dry just in case....lol

RENESIS VIII

7,000 RPM
Jun 13, 2012
Ipoh
Yup, My VR, Hyundai (Mitsu Base) an even my Chery, I just wash and spray water all over. No cover anything. Hyundai have old spinning distributor, That need to open and dry just in case....lol
Actually need to worry or not if water gets into places with wiring like top of the injector?

vr2turbo

Helmet Clan
May 11, 2010
Petaling Jaya
Friend bought 2nd hand send to me for detailing, so clean his engine bay for him also....

Before

After

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

I was scrolling through all the images I had in my hard disk over this past weekend, just reminiscing how far we have came along. While doing so I came across a couple photoshoots that we never released, some very impressive and some should just stay hidden. While there is no chance of me releasing images of some of the curvaceous beauties, I did however come across this particular shoot we did earlier this...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience