First Impression: RCS Suspension - Velocity Sensitive Dampers

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
by using their tuning software...

input of vehicle weight/corner weight, wheelbase etc etc, stock ride height etc etc...and kaboom...the value came out.... :idea:
The tuning software won't be able to account for the G's the driver will be pulling through the corners, surface condition, unbanked or banked turn (e.g. the exit towards KLIA toll) etc.

It's a little bit like tuning for rally. Even then rally for gravel and tarmac you get different setting. But for street car, comfort has to be factored in as well.

I can imagine how tiring it is driving a track car as a daily driver. No carpet, no sound dampening, exhaust with no silencer or cat con, suspension stiff as hell..going to be jarring especially going through those stupid yellow lines on highway approaching toll.

Jonnip

Feb 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi
To be honest I had my car measured a while ago (actually it's my wifes) at the time Clayton went through with me and explained all the values of the current standard set up. The brief I gave him was looks were not key (ie make it as low as it can go) and I wanted a slightly more Postive ride.
He did give me all the values but that was so long ago I forgot :) sorry if my post is disjointed I'm sat quite high in the air in Qatar Ok my phone!
The guys there just ooze knowledge and confidence. They don't baffle you with bull shit and are willing to break it down in laymen terms (Clayton demonstrate to me with a rubber eraser!)
If you want to come down when I'm getting my fitting feel free

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Sorry I meant to say I didn't want it low. Standard height was fine.

The main reason for me getting it is wife wanted a bit more power so I figured might as well get the best out of the handling too.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

The tuning software won't be able to account for the G's the driver will be pulling through the corners, surface condition, unbanked or banked turn (e.g. the exit towards KLIA toll) etc.

It's a little bit like tuning for rally. Even then rally for gravel and tarmac you get different setting. But for street car, comfort has to be factored in as well.

I can imagine how tiring it is driving a track car as a daily driver. No carpet, no sound dampening, exhaust with no silencer or cat con, suspension stiff as hell..going to be jarring especially going through those stupid yellow lines on highway approaching toll.

Sack doing that in Malaysia the roads are God awful. Apart from the massive potholes they are not even flat. In a stiff setup you feel like you are on a roller coaster. A good one is the highway to Tuas checkpoint!

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines

i didnt sure if u really have sat in a good rally car with a good gravel suspension before....but i would say the ride is firm...not stiff....smooth on smooth surface..bumpier a bit on undulated surface..but on rough surface the ride is a silky smooth.....

but that just for rally/gravel setup....

for daily use thats why all of the stock car data was measured and put into the program....because if they took data from their rally car for street use :hmmmm: the outcome?

so with the aid of the software, it reduce guessing work on what spring rate to use and how stiff the damping they need to use the first time...so less tiring of dismantle/retune/guessing what to use next to get the customer satisfied........

another point that "maybe" u missed from the first page or rcs ability...is the velocity sensitive damping....in simple word, it works like monroe sensa-trac...the RCS way :biggrin:

ixeo

4,000 RPM
Jun 26, 2005
KL, Malaysia
i didnt sure if u really have sat in a good rally car with a good gravel suspension before....but i would say the ride is firm...not stiff....smooth on smooth surface..bumpier a bit on undulated surface..but on rough surface the ride is a silky smooth.....

but that just for rally/gravel setup....
No wor, but I know rally car for gravel and rally car for tarmac, difference setup wor, there's no one size fit all. there's also no one size fit all for street car, cause people with different taste would have different requirements. the 50 year old uncle would rate comfort as #1, whereas the kid who has never sat in any continental would view Camry comfort as damn good -- but he hasn't experienced S-Class level comfort.

The software CANNOT account for the owner's tastes. The software merely spits out computation based on input and your desired outcome. Also, the software is unable to account for the road surface and its merely a compromise.

Even for F1, on a fixed track, on the same surface where their monitoring software can identify every single bump on the track, they still continue to improve on the handling with tweaks on the car -- but not limited to suspension.

for daily use thats why all of the stock car data was measured and put into the program....because if they took data from their rally car for street use :hmmmm: the outcome?
:hmmmm: nobody said that. I just said the software cannot account for the #1 surface #2 owner's requirement.

so with the aid of the software, it reduce guessing work on what spring rate to use and how stiff the damping they need to use the first time...so less tiring of dismantle/retune/guessing what to use next to get the customer satisfied........
True. But the software doesn't know what is the value for customer satisfaction. Hell, to the guy who has never sat in a Lotus and experience handling at its pinnacle, he wouldn't know! The customer doesn't KNOW what is available.

another point that "maybe" u missed from the first page or rcs ability...is the velocity sensitive damping....in simple word, it works like monroe sensa-trac...the RCS way :biggrin:
Uh, if it worked damn well it would be in all the expensive cars. Its just discs within the absorber to control the flow of the gas/fluid in the shock absorbers.

It works, just not damn well. Not S-Class Airmatic well.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
No wor, but I know rally car for gravel and rally car for tarmac, difference setup wor, there's no one size fit all. there's also no one size fit all for street car, cause people with different taste would have different requirements. the 50 year old uncle would rate comfort as #1, whereas the kid who has never sat in any continental would view Camry comfort as damn good -- but he hasn't experienced S-Class level comfort.

The software CANNOT account for the owner's tastes. The software merely spits out computation based on input and your desired outcome. Also, the software is unable to account for the road surface and its merely a compromise.

Even for F1, on a fixed track, on the same surface where their monitoring software can identify every single bump on the track, they still continue to improve on the handling with tweaks on the car -- but not limited to suspension.

:hmmmm: nobody said that. I just said the software cannot account for the #1 surface #2 owner's requirement.

True. But the software doesn't know what is the value for customer satisfaction. Hell, to the guy who has never sat in a Lotus and experience handling at its pinnacle, he wouldn't know! The customer doesn't KNOW what is available.

Uh, if it worked damn well it would be in all the expensive cars. Its just discs within the absorber to control the flow of the gas/fluid in the shock absorbers.

It works, just not damn well. Not S-Class Airmatic well.

thats why i said it helps to reduce guessing work on the first setup...and makes further suspension tuning easier since the data will gave a basic tuning for general usage.....then the rest of the work is to enhance the setting to suits the owner/driver/target surface/condition....

(*take other suspension maker/tuner as example, all of their work would be based purely from their previous experience and then guessing further more based on what the owner/driver wants...do u really want to go back and forth as many as required to get the setting right? or you prefer getting it done right the first time or atleast required minimal tweak/tune to get it right?)

unlike those ready made aftermarket suspension, choosing the spring rate and damping (if have adjustable damping function) is a guessing game, try&error for everybody...thats include me....

and yes it doesnt have sophisticated electronic control and other fancy stuff.....and i'm not saying it suits the best compared to those electronic/magnetic modern stuff also...we surely couldnt get the suspension to work best everytime, on every surface condition on every road...but the best we can get is compromise between high level of handling, and retain some level of comfort (that suits the owner/driver)

atleast as for aftermarket choices, this rcs is worth to be considered as serious contender to the other aftermarket suspension maker..... :driver: :adore:

(*btw i'm not related to them-rcs in biz or any other way..its just i knew them quite a bit because i'm competing in rally also) :burnout:

Last edited:

cfa

Jun 15, 2012
Kuala Lumpur
Great exchange of thought between [^pomen_GTR^] and [ixeo]. I am currently contemplating what suspension to change for my current Proton only. The OEM too me is quite good actually but after 5-years, its definitely time to change but to what?

Initially, I was considering Titan but then I stumbled upon RCS and RCS sounds and looks more tempting (with so-called velocity sensitive as opposed to other which is linear in nature) but of course, the price is slightly expensive compared to Titan but not much actually.

Then there is also the after-market adjustable that the user can adjust via turning a knob. This also is quite good but I am concerned that suddenly, I have wrongly adjusted my left and ride setting and its different and may cause more damage to my car chassis, etc. Btw, using such adjustable, can the user see what setting they are currently on?

Hmm, so many choices, only 1-car

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Great exchange of thought between [^pomen_GTR^] and [ixeo]. I am currently contemplating what suspension to change for my current Proton only. The OEM too me is quite good actually but after 5-years, its definitely time to change but to what?

Initially, I was considering Titan but then I stumbled upon RCS and RCS sounds and looks more tempting (with so-called velocity sensitive as opposed to other which is linear in nature) but of course, the price is slightly expensive compared to Titan but not much actually.

Then there is also the after-market adjustable that the user can adjust via turning a knob. This also is quite good but I am concerned that suddenly, I have wrongly adjusted my left and ride setting and its different and may cause more damage to my car chassis, etc. Btw, using such adjustable, can the user see what setting they are currently on?

Hmm, so many choices, only 1-car

those "knob-turning" damping setting u must count your self based on the "click" felt while doing so....so have to start either from most-clockwise or most-anticlockwise and count manually and remember it in your head (or write it down somewhere on paper or on the phone).... 1-2click diff from left to right side isnt really noticeable, unless u were testing the car heavily...and doesnt really do damage to car...its just u'll feel a little bit weird because going left hand corner and right hand corner the car doesnt feel/acting the same way.....

well...what u decide to use is your choice after all.... :driver:

Jonnip

Feb 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
As I remember they do not simply take your car weigh and measure it and tell you this is the best and what you must have because the software says so. Your desires are definitely taken into account.

To be honest if you are spending this much money then you really need to have a thinking to tell them the end product that you want. Not tell them how the suspension should operate. Just go and say I want it so high and for fast road and let them do their job. You are paying for their expertise.

You cannot compare to a s class suspension its a totally different market. However look at evo rally cars so you think the race cars use the production shocks? No. Because Joe public doesn't want to be servicing them every 20000km for one!
now I think you know karamjit Singh... Who does his suspension? RCS :) they have a competitive product. You can't compare what they have to a merc...

Last edited:

Jonnip

Feb 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I wouldn't use them. As much as I have said they were awesome before time has proven they are a terribly designed product. Weak after sales support. To the point that they f$&Ked all the old customers over by changing name. Would totally avoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Izso

NA NA NA NA NA
Helmet Clan
Mar 28, 2004
KL
I wouldn't use them. As much as I have said they were awesome before time has proven they are a terribly designed product. Weak after sales support. To the point that they f$&Ked all the old customers over by changing name. Would totally avoid.

Why do you say so?

Jonnip

Feb 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
When first installed the performance was great. Then there were noises. First it was because the top mount was inadequately designed with spacers rather than thickening the whole plate and two of the spacers broke free of the weld (something I questioned in the beginning) that was solved with another half fix. Which again failed as it was causing the entire top mount to slide in the turret.

Then the dampers were clunking. They had to remove the dampers and service them they said they had to replace some bushings.

After all this it was still making a lot of noise. I was fed up and we put the car up on the ramp at my mechanics and found that the struts had way too much play in the housing. They were moving ALOT so as the car accelerate and decelerate you have varying camber. Then we removed the struts and found 3 of 4 only had damping for 50% of the travel. With all this I called Clayton and he said sorry we can't help you because we are bankrupt now because they are spending all their time fixing customers cars and not selling enough new product.

So now I have 4500 suspension system just sitting in a box.

Bearing in mind this all happened in 2 months from when I installed the system initially. I was not complaining about ride comfort. Or the noise from solid top mounts. That's fine i am used to it. What I was complaining about was things that were poorly designed and proven to be broken and incredibly dangerous had there been a failure.

Last edited:

ken yeang

6,000 RPM
Feb 2, 2006
ouch....that is some bad experience, Jonnip

question is....

new name RDS with new product?
or just new name, but same (problematic) product? :hmmmm:

Jonnip

Feb 27, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
My experience now is to buy a good brand name suspension and have it set up by a professional company.

Zanskie

Mar 5, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
When first installed the performance was great. Then there were noises. First it was because the top mount was inadequately designed with spacers rather than thickening the whole plate and two of the spacers broke free of the weld (something I questioned in the beginning) that was solved with another half fix. Which again failed as it was causing the entire top mount to slide in the turret.

Then the dampers were clunking. They had to remove the dampers and service them they said they had to replace some bushings.

After all this it was still making a lot of noise. I was fed up and we put the car up on the ramp at my mechanics and found that the struts had way too much play in the housing. They were moving ALOT so as the car accelerate and decelerate you have varying camber. Then we removed the struts and found 3 of 4 only had damping for 50% of the travel. With all this I called Clayton and he said sorry we can't help you because we are bankrupt now because they are spending all their time fixing customers cars and not selling enough new product.

So now I have 4500 suspension system just sitting in a box.

Bearing in mind this all happened in 2 months from when I installed the system initially. I was not complaining about ride comfort. Or the noise from solid top mounts. That's fine i am used to it. What I was complaining about was things that were poorly designed and proven to be broken and incredibly dangerous had there been a failure.

Sad to hear for your bad experience though. I just installed their product on my Forte and im a very satisfied customer. From stock suspension to RCS. The difference is like day and night. The suspension is a secondhand from my friend. I got it installed from a tire shop and got some noises here and there also. I think its workmanship issue. Im going to RCS and have then check and rectify the sounds.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Any foreman here can advice me?

My spark plug lead has gone brittle and those rubber pieces are in my spark plug chambers.
Tried to take some out but I can't.

I am gonna change my valve cover gasket soon but i still can't access it.
Letting the rubber dropping inside the combustion chamber would be my last resort. :bawling...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience