Problem with Proton Exora

owtaman

Known Member
Oct 9, 2008
Hi,
This is to share my bitter story of owning a Exora so that you know what is to be expected when you are planning to get a Exora for yourself.

After much serious consideration with other models in the same range, I bought my Exora M-Spec in May 2010, I am so regret now because the car will wobble/goyang when picking up speed from 2000RPM to 3000RPM since the first day I got the car, I have checked with other Exora owners, they do not have this problem.

I called the iCare line many times and after numerous visits and complaints to the Service Center(which they failed to fix the problem and told me it is the 'character' of the car), they sent someone directly from Proton technical department to sit in my Exora for me to show them the problem, they recognized this issue and told me the same problem also happened to their Saga model, but they are Not yet identify the solution to fix this problem. ETA for solution is not available.

I am so regret for making the decision to continue supporting Proton while I am able to afford a different brand, I should have bought the Nissan Grand Livina instead... sigh... :(

If anyone out there also facing similar issue with their Exora, I invite you to share your experience here so that other forumers are informed so as not to make the same mistakes like ours.

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
I could help but spit at proton's engineers and model developers as soon as the Exora was released... The first reason being that they put a 1.6 litre engine to haul the 1.4 tonnes kerb weight. Fully loaded, even worse.

But what is done is done. Anyways, I guess the problem of yours can be fixed. What I can suggest is that you bring your car to a reputable/ trusted mechanic that you know to diagnose and fix them. Screw the warranty of the car because even though it is in warranty, the incompetent staff there couldn't fix it. So what's the point of the warranty? Just spend the little bit extra money and fix it. Then I believe it will be a nice car to drive since proton nowadays already improve on their refinement and quality. Thought they could be better, but it is considered good already. And in the future, you might consider some power tunes as the 1.6 litre engine is hopelessly ridiculous.

From what you say, I reckon that it might me some mounting or fitting problems. As acceleration under high load/high weight tends to cause the engine to vibrate, and the 2000 - 3000 rpm that you mention is a crucial rpm for acceleration. A broken/loose mounting or fitting may cause the engine to vibrate more towards that direction and it is freed.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
Hi,
This is to share my bitter story of owning a Exora so that you know what is to be expected when you are planning to get a Exora for yourself.

After much serious consideration with other models in the same range, I bought my Exora M-Spec in May 2010, I am so regret now because the car will wobble/goyang when picking up speed from 2000RPM to 3000RPM since the first day I got the car, I have checked with other Exora owners, they do not have this problem.

I called the iCare line many times and after numerous visits and complaints to the Service Center(which they failed to fix the problem and told me it is the 'character' of the car), they sent someone directly from Proton technical department to sit in my Exora for me to show them the problem, they recognized this issue and told me the same problem also happened to their Saga model, but they are Not yet identify the solution to fix this problem. ETA for solution is not available.

I am so regret for making the decision to continue supporting Proton while I am able to afford a different brand, I should have bought the Nissan Grand Livina instead... sigh... :(

If anyone out there also facing similar issue with their Exora, I invite you to share your experience here so that other forumers are informed so as not to make the same mistakes like ours.
pm me yr contact, i get someone to assist you. many of my friends using proton exora and so far no problem similar to yours. so sorry to hear that they couldnt manage to solve yr concern.

overall this car is very nice to drive and easy to handle despite its size. i tried driving it few days and felt nice cruising it around with some friends who came visit me.....great ride & handling.

livina is a good choice too but they too have some technical problem that cant be solve till date..but i not gonna elaborate on this cos its not our concern.

hope my friend can solve yr concern soon..cheerz:itsme:

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

I could help but spit at proton's engineers and model developers as soon as the Exora was released... The first reason being that they put a 1.6 litre engine to haul the 1.4 tonnes kerb weight. Fully loaded, even worse.

But what is done is done. Anyways, I guess the problem of yours can be fixed. What I can suggest is that you bring your car to a reputable/ trusted mechanic that you know to diagnose and fix them. Screw the warranty of the car because even though it is in warranty, the incompetent staff there couldn't fix it. So what's the point of the warranty? Just spend the little bit extra money and fix it. Then I believe it will be a nice car to drive since proton nowadays already improve on their refinement and quality. Thought they could be better, but it is considered good already. And in the future, you might consider some power tunes as the 1.6 litre engine is hopelessly ridiculous.

From what you say, I reckon that it might me some mounting or fitting problems. As acceleration under high load/high weight tends to cause the engine to vibrate, and the 2000 - 3000 rpm that you mention is a crucial rpm for acceleration. A broken/loose mounting or fitting may cause the engine to vibrate more towards that direction and it is freed.
very nice of you to put fire in ppl's misery. thanks.
exora comes with 5 years or 175000km warranty - i believe you are good enuf to screw the warranty but its yr personal opinion, maybe u r very loaded and don mind spending money for something that could be claim. warranty given is because mechanical parts sometimes do have problem. proton is not running away, maybe the ppl are not competent enuf but there are ppl who sure can solve it.

from the posting by threadstarter, he mentioned other exora user doesnt faced the same prob, it means not often this happen, and proton will check into it.
from the posting too, he didnt mention the car is under power or so, fyi, the gear is calibrated to carry the weight and performance tested is compatible with other mpv its size. kindly check before u shoot.

anyway its yr personal opinion, i am saying my piece....sharing...i believe more positive sharing will ease his misery and worries....lets help to solve problem..cheerz:burnout:

Last edited:

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
pm me yr contact, i get someone to assist you. many of my friends using proton exora and so far no problem similar to yours. so sorry to hear that they couldnt manage to solve yr concern.

overall this car is very nice to drive and easy to handle despite its size. i tried driving it few days and felt nice cruising it around with some friends who came visit me.....great ride & handling.

livina is a good choice too but they too have some technical problem that cant be solve till date..but i not gonna elaborate on this cos its not our concern.

hope my friend can solve yr concern soon..cheerz:itsme:

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

very nice of you to put fire in ppl's misery. thanks.
exora comes with 5 years or 175000km warranty - i believe you are good enuf to screw the warranty but its yr personal opinion, maybe u r very loaded and don mind spending money for something that could be claim. warranty given is because mechanical parts sometimes do have problem. proton is not running away, maybe the ppl are not competent enuf but there are ppl who sure can solve it.

from the posting by threadstarter, he mentioned other exora user doesnt faced the same prob, it means not often this happen, and proton will check into it.
from the posting too, he didnt mention the car is under power or so, fyi, the gear is calibrated to carry the weight and performance tested is compatible with other mpv its size. kindly check before u shoot.

anyway its yr personal opinion, i am saying my piece....sharing...i believe more positive sharing will ease his misery and worries....lets help to solve problem..cheerz:burnout:
Warranty is useful for stuff that they can fix.
Okay... So the quality is good and the engine ain't underpowered as the gears are calibrated for the weight? Haha... Which means for Exora, one have to chose to compensate between acceleration and top speed? And I reckon you work for proton? >.^

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Okay... So the quality is good and the engine ain't underpowered as the gears are calibrated for the weight? Haha... Which means for Exora, one have to chose to compensate between acceleration and top speed? And I reckon you work for proton? >.^
Sorry I meant "compromise". Not compensate.

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
*veloc...i don't think u were helping our guy gey..more likely to blame n blame n blame...

then if exora was underpowered what about avanza 1.3 back then????same engine with myvi....yet people doesn't complain it was underpowered when empty???everyone knows when any was fully-loaded vehicle it was meant to be heavy....exora is competent enough....

its just the i-care person not competent to handle this situation......

to thread starter...i suggest u to abolish calling thru i-care....just procceed and go to nearest proton service center or proton authorised SC.....

seech

Known Member
Jan 21, 2007
I actually find the Exora's ride and handling to be excellent for an MPV. Compared with other MPV's in the same category, the Exora is fantastic. The ride is smooth and not bumpy and the handling is stable in the corners.

But since this is a problem with the Exora thread, I have had the ABS light come on only to disappear again after a few days. Need to check it out at the next service.

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
sounds like a typical undercarriage problem sir, have they checked dat part yet?

PowerMonster

Known Member
Nov 27, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
my friends all love their Exoras.. No problems other than minor tweaks like in all new cars.

Aiyar BMW and MB worst ! go see their forums ! pay hundreds of thousands somemor

But I must say ... its Hellavu spacious inside and with body kits simply marvellous

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
*veloc...i don't think u were helping our guy gey..more likely to blame n blame n blame...

then if exora was underpowered what about avanza 1.3 back then????same engine with myvi....yet people doesn't complain it was underpowered when empty???everyone knows when any was fully-loaded vehicle it was meant to be heavy....exora is competent enough....

its just the i-care person not competent to handle this situation......

to thread starter...i suggest u to abolish calling thru i-care....just procceed and go to nearest proton service center or proton authorised SC.....
Bro... I also feel not nice la... Haha... But I am only stating the fact about proton what... Just want to let our bro here accept the fact bout proton I also have exp with my previous proton here... The service centre jsut want to wash their hands and said "cannot be resolved". That's why I changed to toyota dy... About Avanza, yes it is also underpowered.

I don't mean to make the situation sound hopeless, what I meant is, if they can't fix it, then find other mech. the warranty can be left for problems that proton can fix. From the way you sound, I hope you are not a guy/staff paid by proton again to infiltrate forums and clean up proton's name. Let us discuss and face problems honestly...

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

check this our btw...

<http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/1000cc-and-above/339144-persona-elegance-with-many-problems-4.html#post4423312>

^pomen_GTR^

7,000 RPM
May 13, 2010
The Mines
Bro... I also feel not nice la... Haha... But I am only stating the fact about proton what... Just want to let our bro here accept the fact bout proton I also have exp with my previous proton here... The service centre jsut want to wash their hands and said "cannot be resolved". That's why I changed to toyota dy... About Avanza, yes it is also underpowered.

I don't mean to make the situation sound hopeless, what I meant is, if they can't fix it, then find other mech. the warranty can be left for problems that proton can fix. From the way you sound, I hope you are not a guy/staff paid by proton again to infiltrate forums and clean up proton's name. Let us discuss and face problems honestly...

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

check this our btw...

<http://www.zerotohundred.com/newforums/1000cc-and-above/339144-persona-elegance-with-many-problems-4.html#post4423312>

haha..dun worry...i've no relation with proton or proton didn't pay me to help them out....

but i'm just a positive thhinking and a DIY person..so normal la me would search for best solution....(yes..don't need to depend on i-care...they are 0% of knowledge about mechanical thing on cars..just 100% excuses..)

same like i-care on TM.... hahahahaha.... :biggrin:

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007

---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- 6 hour anti-bump limit - Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

Sorry I meant "compromise". Not compensate.
Veloc,
i am not siding any party about this matter, i am just addressing to your comment in this thread. as the threadstarter sharing his misery, we should advice and assist. u know well he has bought a new car and being helpless, what u doing is adding to his suffer instead of supporting your friend here.....correct me if i am wrong!

exora indeed is a good mpv for the price we are paying and the comfort, ride and handling. what he faced might be not so rampant...so maybe its mechanical defect - thats what warranty are there for. am i right? shoot me if i am wrong about warranty?

being underpower bla bla bla, proton is thrash as u mentioned in another thread....its all irrelevant to this topic....u r totally OOT....out of topic. wanna discuss and be a supportive forumer...discuss on subject matter and assist to solve problem...not asking the person to give up his new ride, to make him upset for making wrong choice etc etc....

i believe u have made wrong choices too.....u also don want ppl to add fire to it....am i right?
please be considerate and proton is good or no good.....it depends on individual. no for u to influence or shout about...what car u driving now doesnt mean the car is 100% perfect....pls accept the fact.

mpv with the size for 7 adults - compromise top speed for pick up - i don find anything wrong cos u driving an mpv loaded with yr family and friends...how fast u wanna go? the top speed we tried is bout 150km/h to 160km/h....is it not fast enough for a family mpv? u may be a super duper racer but mpv buyer i believe are more to family orientated....

i am a happy proton user, i don find proton is rubbish, i faced some stupid mechanic in proton and i do encounter excellent service given by the sales advisor and service advisor when i purchase my protons. fyi, i am a proton user since year 1995...so far none have give me major problems...minor i don deny, i encountered b4, but overall the car is good for me, coz i am a salary earner and my salary only can support me buying proton for my mode of transport. at least now if my car broke down, i don have to pay for the repair until my mileage reaches 175000km.... although i dreamt of buying nice japs car (used one with similar price to new proton) but i got no budget for repair.....so IS IT WRONG FOR AN AVERAGE SALARY EARNER TO SUPPORT PROTON???

please show yr consideration here, i am not paid by proton nor i am working under proton...i am sharing and supporting a fellow member here to find solution. if u r so free to thrash proton...go to the website www.proton-edar.com.my or www.proton.com and F##K them up nicely!

i am not flaming.....just saying my piece...cheerz, peace & out!:nurse:

Last edited:

TitanRev

You think I print money?
Helmet Clan
Mar 3, 2005
Why ppl are so simple minded....talk good for Proton...immediately suspect that fellow is working for Proton or related to Proton sigh~~....so if I saw a guy wearing a pink shirt than do I have to suspect that he's a gay? or if a girl has a big boob then I have to suspect her boobs are fake too?....Hahahahaha

The problem is not PROTON....is that PARTICULAR service center and the technical guy that HQ sent....Don't everything also blame to Proton....not fair la....don't be like the average people that blame all modified cars are illegal racers when in real only minority of them are.

I think what Proton should have done is replace a car for the owner while they rectify the problem on the problematic car.

Every car from any manufacturer will definitely have problems be Nissan, Toyota, Hyundai, BMW, Merc, KIA, Honda,....mass produce items, sure there will be some defects here and there even more exclusive cars like Ferrari or Lambo also got defects right? ....just take a look at other things like furniture, TVs, Radios, shirts, dress, can food, toys, PC...etc...they also have defects......

Now don't go suspecting that I'm working for Proton or I drive a Proton....but I do like the Neo....Hehehehe....

Veloc

3,000 RPM
May 19, 2010
Sabah
A bit out of topic correction:

I do admit that Proton has its goods too. I've been using a wira and taken care of it like a baby and it rewards really well. No problem... I have to say that wiras are one of those proton success stories as the build quality is really good. But the customer care... Haiz... I have had nightmares with it before. What I am actually saying is that they are not competent enough to attend to certain problems. I faced this and that is why I am sharing my similar opinions to our bro here. You said they will replace the car if they can't fix it? Serious? If they will, then problem solved and our bro here need not worry about a thing.

And btw, it is not wrong for a moderate salary earner to own and drive proton. I never said that. As the gov tax the hell out of foreign carmakers and gives incentive to Proton, I see it as most people are forced to use Proton and not "prefer" proton.I understand that many do not want to use Proton but they just have to. So I do wish everyone work hard and wait for WTO to arrive. Then maybe equal competition can send that company to hell.

TitanRev & EvolutionZ: About me suspecting you guys are working for proton, sorry about that. I didn't see the "MODERATOR" status. If you guys are moderator, it is understood why you said that as your job is to maintain order of the forums. Of course, there are definitely guys out there from carmakers trying to speculate and create impressions.

EvolutionZ

5,000 RPM
Helmet Clan
Aug 3, 2007
its good that you understand...peace bro!
cheerz

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Shell Malaysia has announced that there will now be two weekly grand prize winners of the RM30,000 grand prize for the last four weeks of its Shell V-Power 97 Win Weekly at Shell contest.

The contest is set to run for 15 weeks and begun on 21 December 2010 with the end coming on 6 April 2011. Every week of the contest saw a grand prize winner selected that would drive home with the RM30,000 grand prize but...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience