Essential RX maintenance

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Essential RX maintenance & modifications

This thread is to educate those who are new to rotary or plan on buying a rotary engine vehicle as to the essential regular maintenance required to keep your ride running without a hiccup....

My advice would be the following:

1. keep boost less than 1.0bar
2. keep water temps under control (i.e. less than 110 degrees celsius)
3. ensure sufficient fuel especially under high revs & boost (check/replace filter regularly)
4. change plugs every 10,000kms or less (top end will hesitate if worn)
5. get boost & water meters (& boost controller if changed dp, air filters & exhaust)
6. change radiator to 2 or 3-core for better cooling
7. ensure rubber hoses are good (especially near turbos) USE high quality clamps!
8. flush cooling system regularly & add water wetter & less than 20% coolant (preferably toyota or nissan brand)
9. replace / partially remove thermostat
10. ensure radiator fans can operate at full speed (or that they operate - no kidding can not work at all) However, this was due to dipstick accessory shop person thinking he is too smart for the car owner (me)
11. DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR ENGINE!!!!!!!
12. DO NOT BOOST HIGHER THAN 1.0bar ON A REGULAR BASIS!!!!!
13. LET YOUR ENGINE WARM-UP BEFORE THRASHING IT DOWN THE ROAD!!!!!

endless551

Known Member
Aug 24, 2004
Visit site
Don't forget to redline it regularly to prevent carbon build-ups!

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
13btt,

I have some few questions here...

1. Refer to yor point 2. by keeping the water temp <110 degrees celsius. So izzit a norm/ok for FD to operate between 90dc - 100dc?

2. "replace / partially remove thermostat" -> any where I can read about this or perhaps you care to eleborate? :p

3. change radiator to 2 or 3-core for better cooling is really a good idea. Any recommendation?

13btt said:
This thread is to educate those who are new to rotary or plan on buying a rotary engine vehicle as to the essential regular maintenance required to keep your ride running without a hiccup....

My advice would be the following:

1. keep boost less than 1.0bar
2. keep water temps under control (i.e. less than 110 degrees celsius)
3. ensure sufficient fuel especially under high revs & boost (check/replace filter regularly)
4. change plugs every 10,000kms or less (top end will hesitate if worn)
5. get boost & water meters (& boost controller if changed dp, air filters & exhaust)
6. change radiator to 2 or 3-core for better cooling
7. ensure rubber hoses are good (especially near turbos) USE high quality clamps!
8. flush cooling system regularly & add water wetter & less than 20% coolant (preferably toyota or nissan brand)
9. replace / partially remove thermostat
10. ensure radiator fans can operate at full speed (or that they operate - no kidding can not work at all) However, this was due to dipstick accessory shop person thinking he is too smart for the car owner (me)
11. DO NOT OVERHEAT YOUR ENGINE!!!!!!!
12. DO NOT BOOST HIGHER THAN 1.0bar ON A REGULAR BASIS!!!!!
13. LET YOUR ENGINE WARM-UP BEFORE THRASHING IT DOWN THE ROAD!!!!!

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Standard for FD to run between 82 and 110 degrees but much safer to run under 100 degrees most of the time. These temps are with the oem 82 thermostat in place.

The guys in the USA Mazda Racing team run their RXs using a drilled out thermostat with excellent results, as they reckon it is a good idea to have some water flow resistance.

I have been using a custom made radiator from FRC in Sunway for about 3 years now and am very happy with it - however it doesn't offer the 'bling-bling" factor that some of you like! That is to say it is a copper 3-core painted black - copper conducts heat much better than aluminium!

If you use the above radiator with 20% toyota coolant plus 1 bottle redline water wetter, real distilled water and a pivot fan controller and I can control temps well below 110 degrees with ease - no more stress in traffic when you see the temps normally shoot up to 120!!!!!!!!!!!! without these mods.

jc@

Known Member
May 27, 2004
anyone using V-mount setting for your radiator and intercooler?
i heard it will reduce even more temp.

you all using 1.3 bar radiator cap?shouldnt you keep it down to 0.9 bar?
so that the temp. in the engine bay wont be so high.
dont shoot me if im wrong.im learning and im a rotary fans.
but no rotary charged vehicle yet...haha

DRFT_240sx

Nov 15, 2003
v-mount works better on moving vehicle (track cars) not city car which u stop for traffic jam and all as with a v-mount if not properly ducted and enclosed it will become heat soaked i/c

13btt

Known Member
May 31, 2004
Sydney, AUS
www.reclub.com.my
Radiator Cap Recommendation

My preference is to use 0.9bar or 1.1bar radiator max.

I understand Mazda in US and Australia did a recall to change the radiator cap to 0.9bar amongst other items. The higher the radiator cap the higher the boiling point of your coolant although it puts more strain on your tired combustion & water o-rings which is bad leading to an engine that consumes water and pushes the stuff out the overflow bottle and on the ground - very embarrassing! ....this is what forced me to rebuild my engine in early 2002.

jc@ said:
anyone using V-mount setting for your radiator and intercooler?
i heard it will reduce even more temp.

you all using 1.3 bar radiator cap?shouldnt you keep it down to 0.9 bar?
so that the temp. in the engine bay wont be so high.
dont shoot me if im wrong.im learning and im a rotary fans.
but no rotary charged vehicle yet...haha

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
What about this combo, 1 bottle toyota coolant + 1 bottle redline water wetter + real distilled water ..... Izzit too much coolant?

13btt said:
Standard for FD to run between 82 and 110 degrees but much safer to run under 100 degrees most of the time. These temps are with the oem 82 thermostat in place.

The guys in the USA Mazda Racing team run their RXs using a drilled out thermostat with excellent results, as they reckon it is a good idea to have some water flow resistance.

I have been using a custom made radiator from FRC in Sunway for about 3 years now and am very happy with it - however it doesn't offer the 'bling-bling" factor that some of you like! That is to say it is a copper 3-core painted black - copper conducts heat much better than aluminium!

If you use the above radiator with 20% toyota coolant plus 1 bottle redline water wetter, real distilled water and a pivot fan controller and I can control temps well below 110 degrees with ease - no more stress in traffic when you see the temps normally shoot up to 120!!!!!!!!!!!! without these mods.

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
sounds good jason. i use the same combo and have had excellent reseults. i'm reviewing Motuls coolant which claims to have the same additive as water wetter so i'll report back later. Also FYI, Toyota Coolant and Proton Coolant is manufactured at the same place. Only difference is colour. Have you changed your ast?

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
Thats great..

I wanted to change my ast, anywhere I can get it and resonable price?

Will this ast fit a FD? http://zerotohundred.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=46689

*phat, when can i collect the meter panels? :p

phat7 said:
sounds good jason. i use the same combo and have had excellent reseults. i'm reviewing Motuls coolant which claims to have the same additive as water wetter so i'll report back later. Also FYI, Toyota Coolant and Proton Coolant is manufactured at the same place. Only difference is colour. Have you changed your ast?

Last edited:

phat7

2,000 RPM
May 21, 2004
yo jason just pick up the air separator thingy from aerospeed. costs approximately 220 i think. the meter panel is sitting here waiting for its new owner la---> you!! :)

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
Where is aerospeed? :p :p

phat7 said:
yo jason just pick up the air separator thingy from aerospeed. costs approximately 220 i think. the meter panel is sitting here waiting for its new owner la---> you!! :)

reartyre

Known Member
Mar 18, 2005
jasonlel said:
What about this combo, 1 bottle toyota coolant + 1 bottle redline water wetter + real distilled water ..... Izzit too much coolant?
Q1: Can all this coolant issue be done at ah choys ... and if i would diy ... 1 bottle of toyota coolant of what type + 1 bottle of redline water wetter of what kind ....

Q2: What is ast...

Q7: Phat7 .. do you diy your engine oil at home or somewhere or got it done at ah choys

thanks

jasonlel

Known Member
Nov 17, 2003
Johor Bahru
Visit site
Q1: 1 toyota coolant red color + 1 bottle of redline water wetter (I think only 1 type, can get in enos,1 utama) + lots of battery water

Q2: Air seperator tank

reartyre said:
Q1: Can all this coolant issue be done at ah choys ... and if i would diy ... 1 bottle of toyota coolant of what type + 1 bottle of redline water wetter of what kind ....

Q2: What is ast...

Q7: Phat7 .. do you diy your engine oil at home or somewhere or got it done at ah choys

thanks

reartyre

Known Member
Mar 18, 2005
jasonlel said:
Q1: 1 toyota coolant red color + 1 bottle of redline water wetter (I think only 1 type, can get in enos,1 utama) + lots of battery water

Q2: Air seperator tank
lots of battery water = distilled water ... ?????

Q2: Air seperator tank = what is it for ....

Q3: ur using Castrol Semi right ... what is the viscosity ...

Random Post Every 5 Minutes

Dear all,

I am helping a friend to recover his car. He traded his Satria Neo Lite for a Saga FLX using a used car dealer and things went bad from there. Apparently the dealer along with both car has been missing after my friend has signed the bank loan agreement for the new car. The best part is, Proton centre has not received his old Satria yet. Things has been going on for quite some time now. All police reports, e-mails to Proton HQ, lawyers & phone calls has been made but still no...
Ask a question, start a discussion or post something for sale!
Post thread

Online now

Enjoying Zerotohundred?

Log-in for an ad-less experience