Campro Check Engine light on

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
Hi all. My brother's car (Gen-2 1.6 MT year 2004) got overheated because of thermostat failure. After he changed the thermostat(original proton) the engine goes well for about 2 months then it got overheated again also because of thermostat failure. He changed the thermostat(ori proton) and do the top overhaul but the engine got overheated during the test by the mechanic. The mechanic expected the engine head got warped. He said usually Campro head cannot be skimmed but he knows a machine shop who can skim the Campro head perfectly and he claimed he has done 3 similar cases before without any further issues. After the engine got skimmed, the mechanic also cleans the radiator and change the water pump. After the engine head been reinstalled the mechanic found out the RPM got crazy(went up and down crazily). He went for compression ratio check and did the retuning but still got the RPM problem. Later he took out the thermostat and the RPM problem settled. Later got new problem, the Check Engine light will start to turn on once the the engine reaching 3500rpm. My brother went back to the mechanic for few times but still no change. He also tried to bring his car to other mechanics but still got the problem. The temperature is fine, never exceeding 90 degree celsius, but during driving it went lower than usual. But my brother cannot drive his car calmly as the Check Engine light still turned on once the RPM went 3500. Any opinion sifus?

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
in dis case, i think its wise and may be ur best bet if u can get to any proton sc and ask them to do diagnostic check via a computer. dis check will pinpoint directly u to what is causing the engine check light to emit

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
in dis case, i think its wise and may be ur best bet if u can get to any proton sc and ask them to do diagnostic check via a computer. dis check will pinpoint directly u to what is causing the engine check light to emit
The diagnostic(as well as the tuning) has being done at proton SC after the first time Check Engine light turned on(the mechanic brought it there since he didn't have the diagnostic tool) and it detected the sensor failure(or something like that, I can't recall) but when the sensor being replaced, nothing changed so the car went back to the Proton SC for diagnostic and again it detected sensor error. This happened few times(and back to Proton SC for diagnostic). Finally we changed all the suspected sensor but still the Check Engine light turned on. My brother try to ask an opinion from another mechanic(other workshop) and the mechanic said as for the sensor it might be the Knock Sensor failure since he said from his experience, sometimes after the top overhaul(during dismantle and reassemble) the sensor might being damaged.
I've done my own research on the internet(2carpros.com) and I found out that they claimed "When a thermostat malfunctions it can stick in the closed position not allowing the coolant to circulate, causing the engine to overheat. This will cause the vehicle to overheat in a very short amount of time (about 5 minutes). Or the thermostat could stick open causing the engine to run too cold. In this case the service or check engine soon light could illuminate, followed by a trouble code."
Also in the internet, another mechanic also stated the same but he said it not happens in all cases and that's why I think they(both mechanics) stated could/might be illuminate instead of will illuminate. I think the situation where the thermostat stick open is same with the situation where my brother is not using the thermostat now isn't it? I've ask the Proton SC technician(during the diagnostic) either by not using the thermostat could causing the Trouble Code or not, but he wasn't sure. This morning my brother came to my house and he found out little oil(seems like the hot oil vaporized from the head gasket) came out from the head gasket. Is this leak can cause to Check Engine light turn on?
Please all sifus help my brother.:adore:

xtremeleo

3,000 RPM
Oct 18, 2005
okie, ur mechanic took made a good decision by taking it to the sc to properly check the faults. the diagnostic check shud identify which sensor is faulty and not leave u guys guessing in the dark. but, since uve changed all the suspected sensors, assuming uve changed the proper sensor, i wud think dat u may have problem with ur wiring.

small leakage doesnt trigger engine check light sir, maybe u can pm me ur location for a check up?

amTonjet

Known Member
Apr 20, 2009
wow...a real headache there....once the problem solved can u post what is the cause??

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
Thanks xtremeleo, pm sent.

amTonjet, yea a real headache. I'll post the cause once the problem being settled.

edi78

Oct 28, 2010
Bangi
hahaha...mine also got this problem la...gen 1.6 auto 2004...really scare me when i want to overtake at the highway, the check engine light on...haiiiyaaaa,i slow down the car to the roadside to check the engine oil level but it seems ok...so i just relaxed for about 10-15 minutes to leave the engine cold a bit...(maybe it's hot but the temperature is below 90)...after that i start the engine back n the engine light check already gone...

I've experince this for about 3 or 4 times...same cases...but what i do is i stop the car n leave it for around 10-15 minutes...the light will goes out..

Now the light engine already gone (hopefully forever)...nothing that i do exactly...i've change my front brake pad,change my sport rim (15" also) n wallaaaaaaa, no more engine oil check light....(seems like weird but as long the light engine is off i'm very happy)

Also notice that the lock button at the backpasengger already ok..hehehehee...(ada hantu maaaa...)

this what i call KEJAP ADA KEJAP TAKDA...:burnout:

touge80

Known Member
Jun 22, 2009
edi78: Yea might be your car got hantu haha

Anybody experienced this similar problem before? Any solution? Mind to share?

edi78

Oct 28, 2010
Bangi
aiyaaa....now the engine light problem come back again...when i want to rev the engine the light will appear...ask PSC mech, he said need to PDT but it will cause u RM70 per check...very expensive lor just to find out what is the problem...really2 give me headache...now i just drive below 3k RPM oni..hehehe..

fatality69

Jan 9, 2009
Kch/Swk
Mine is a 2009 Persona IAFM automatic.

I replaced my stock exhaust manifold with a aftermarket 4-2-1 header with its o2 sensor being relocated to the bottom of the engine. Things were alright for more than a month that is until the engine check light came on after i accidentally jerked the engine pretty hard due to an incident that i dun think i wanna explain since its complicated.

So yea, the engine light came on after that. So i managed to pin point it to my o2 sensor and i figured perhaps the socket came loose. So i re-plug it back and restart the engine... it was all good.

2 weeks later, which happened last night actually.... i just started the car at night and drove to the nearby gas station to pump my tires. its located about 200 meters away. The engine check light suddenly came on again. Ignoring it i drove on. Pumped my tires and started the engine again and the engine check light was gone!

Now what the hell is happening here? Can't possibly another case of loose o2 sensor socket again????

ashyu90

Known Member
Oct 3, 2010
Kuala Lumpur
wah...very big problem..after change all sensor..engine light still on...in my mind, try to cek back wiring from ecu...which knows, there would find the cause of the problem....wish u luck..after solve problem..pls share wit us...how to detected and solve the problem....:hmmmm:

edi78

Oct 28, 2010
Bangi
guyss...five reason engine light is on..

1.Bad O2 sensor need replacing
2.Gas Cap loose
3.Cat Con need replacing
4.Plug cable need replace
5.Mass Air Flow sensor..

Try tackle one by one..

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017
Petaling Jaya
aiyaaa....now the engine light problem come back again...when i want to rev the engine the light will appear...ask PSC mech, he said need to PDT but it will cause u RM70 per check...very expensive lor just to find out what is the problem...really2 give me headache...now i just drive below 3k RPM oni..hehehe..
Helo Edi78, have you manage to solve the problem, engine light sometimes on